Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Gunnery Commando PvE Guide

jesseleeca
11.28.2012 , 01:50 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by PanzerJagdhund View Post
I personally do not like to use alacrity for Gunnery. Without it, ammo regen is perfect and should always remain above 55% ammo, with only having to use Hammer Shot about 3 times per rotation. When I tried alacrity, I found that I was using hammer shot more than what I would have liked.

I tend to stack power over crit. I keep my crit at 35% buffed, and can't complain about the numbers I put up.
No one said anything about using alacrity gear, the idea is putting points into Weapon Calibrations, which gives you faster casts and since there isn't anything you could take over it for talents, it's a good idea to put points into it.
As for ammo regen, before having 4% activation speed, I've basically never had to use hammer shots unless I'm moving around. Now I occasionally run low on ammo if CoF procs too much but it doesn't happen that often and Recharge Cells is always up for it so it's not that much of a problem.
[Prophecy of the Five] <The Crushers>
Havok-leader Lvl 55 Commando DPS/Combat Medic Gunnery PvE Guide
Transference Lvl 60 Guardian Tank/DPS
Morehots Lvl 60 Scoundrel Healer

PanzerJagdhund
11.29.2012 , 10:18 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by jesseleeca View Post
No one said anything about using alacrity gear, the idea is putting points into Weapon Calibrations, which gives you faster casts and since there isn't anything you could take over it for talents, it's a good idea to put points into it.
As for ammo regen, before having 4% activation speed, I've basically never had to use hammer shots unless I'm moving around. Now I occasionally run low on ammo if CoF procs too much but it doesn't happen that often and Recharge Cells is always up for it so it's not that much of a problem.
I never said alacrity just on gear, I meant alacrity in general, which includes Weapon Calibrations. I have done more dps without the points in WeapCal. Its just one of those things that comes to play style.
<Redemption> (Republic) on The Shadowlands
Totenhelfen - Assault Mando Totenkrieger - Assault Vanguard
Focus/Vig Guardian - Sharpshooter Slinger - Scrapper Scoundrel
Proud Alpha tester of the Parsec Combat Parser for SWTOR

Furiel
11.29.2012 , 10:21 AM | #23
Lots of good info here, thanks for the guide, I just have a couple general theory issues I've been trying to figure out to try to squeeze out just that much more DPS. Looking through some of the dummy parses deadandburied and a few other people posted I've noticed a few uses of things like plasma grenade and such which on boss fights I almost never use, and it leads me to the next couple questions...

Right now on occasion due to poor luck on CoF procs, etc I'll be running through my rotation and I'll have 5 stacks of charged barrel, no CoF proc and FA, DR and HIB are all on cooldown, when that happens what do you guys do? Currently I'll cast another GR and hope for a CoF proc, obviously this wastes a potential charge of charged barrel but as FA is our hardest hitting ability my theory is it gives the most DPS potential because of the CoF proc chance, but looking at those parses I'm now wondering if that's accurate.

My other main question also involves the use of HIB. Right now I use it generally on CD, but I will push back it's use if I don't have 5 full stacks of charged barrel. Obviously it's rare when it will come off CD and I won't have 5 stacks, but it does happen on occasion during movement phases or if I get really lucky with CoF procs. So I'd like to know if it's worth it or not to keep pushing it back or if I should be using it on CD regardless of having 2, 4 or 5 stacks of charged barrel.
Furiel Plush
Cardinal and Raid Coordinator of The Church of Alvis

jesseleeca
11.29.2012 , 11:12 AM | #24
I never said alacrity just on gear, I meant alacrity in general, which includes Weapon Calibrations. I have done more dps without the points in WeapCal. Its just one of those things that comes to play style.
Never used it before a week or two ago but it seems to increase my dps so I'm using it now. Just curious, what do you put points into if you don't take it?

Quote: Originally Posted by Furiel View Post
Right now on occasion due to poor luck on CoF procs, etc I'll be running through my rotation and I'll have 5 stacks of charged barrel, no CoF proc and FA, DR and HIB are all on cooldown, when that happens what do you guys do? Currently I'll cast another GR and hope for a CoF proc, obviously this wastes a potential charge of charged barrel but as FA is our hardest hitting ability my theory is it gives the most DPS potential because of the CoF proc chance, but looking at those parses I'm now wondering if that's accurate.
My opinion is that in those situations, just keep using GR since if everything is on CD, there really isn't anything else you can do.

My other main question also involves the use of HIB. Right now I use it generally on CD, but I will push back it's use if I don't have 5 full stacks of charged barrel. Obviously it's rare when it will come off CD and I won't have 5 stacks, but it does happen on occasion during movement phases or if I get really lucky with CoF procs. So I'd like to know if it's worth it or not to keep pushing it back or if I should be using it on CD regardless of having 2, 4 or 5 stacks of charged barrel.
If it's a highly mobile phase (eg. Z&T feet phase), I would say just go through the HiB+DR rotation, since you don't really have time to stand still and cast, then go back to the normal rotation afterwards. If you're just getting good luck with CoF, I would suggest getting it up to 5 stacks given how long the CD for HiB is and wasting 6+% of damage just so you can cast it 1.5 or 3 seconds earlier doesn't seem to be worth it.

PanzerJagdhund
11.29.2012 , 01:25 PM | #25
<Redemption> (Republic) on The Shadowlands
Totenhelfen - Assault Mando Totenkrieger - Assault Vanguard
Focus/Vig Guardian - Sharpshooter Slinger - Scrapper Scoundrel
Proud Alpha tester of the Parsec Combat Parser for SWTOR

jesseleeca
11.29.2012 , 01:38 PM | #26
Just 3 things I want to bring up

1) Why aren't you taking Charged Barrier? It gives 5% damage reduction, I know it got the nerf bat but still, many of the boss fights have raid damage going out and that 5% means healers get to heal the tanks more and generally lighten their load.
2) Why Concussive Force? It's a PvPskill that has almost no use in PvE except for trolling tanks/melee dps/people who throw down AOEs by knocking mob away. Granted it's hilarious as hell but IMHO Charged Barrier is much more practical.
3) I took Weapon Calibrations over Soldiers endurance because a) I don't need 2% more endurance, ~21000 hp is more than enough and if you're taking that much damage, you're screwing something up and 400 more hp won't save you; b) the increased dps. But if you find you do more dps without increased alacrity, go for it.

Furiel
11.29.2012 , 03:08 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by jesseleeca View Post
2) Why Concussive Force? It's a PvPskill that has almost no use in PvE except for trolling tanks/melee dps/people who throw down AOEs by knocking mob away. Granted it's hilarious as hell but IMHO Charged Barrier is much more practical.
I have Concussive Force in my build as well because it really comes down to either that or Heavy Trooper to get to the points needed to get up the tree and when I made my choice I didn't see the 2% end and healing bonuses as being enough to outweigh the usefulness of CF when soloing heroics. It's also useful for dog punting in EV if/when you go back for the weekly or to help gear up guildies new 50s.

This is the build I use: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#800McZrIkbRMdokfzZf.2
Furiel Plush
Cardinal and Raid Coordinator of The Church of Alvis

jesseleeca
11.29.2012 , 04:06 PM | #28
I have Concussive Force in my build as well because it really comes down to either that or Heavy Trooper to get to the points needed to get up the tree and when I made my choice I didn't see the 2% end and healing bonuses as being enough to outweigh the usefulness of CF when soloing heroics. It's also useful for dog punting in EV if/when you go back for the weekly or to help gear up guildies new 50s.

This is the build I use: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#800McZrIkbRMdokfzZf.2
Sidenote: Haven't been to EV/KP in forever... As for gearing people up, I think we went straight for HM EC when we were gearing up our tank's alt sentinel, he got almost full Campaign the week he hit 50.

Back to the point. I acknowledge that 2% end/healing received isn't much, but as I said in the OP, any little bit helps and your healers will love you for it. It really comes down to the benefits in raids, little benefit (Heavy Trooper) vs. virtually no benefit (CF). And besides, I think if I got 4 extra meters to my knockback I would draw even more guild aggro from when I troll them and get /gkicked .

jesseleeca
11.30.2012 , 02:19 AM | #29
Going to start trying to put in some strats for boss fights, only gonna do the ones I've been doing recently though, i.e. HM/NiM EC& HM TFB since I won't be able to remember the old ones. Feel free to toss in ideas.

ArchangelLBC
11.30.2012 , 03:25 AM | #30
Recently started putting one point in weapon calibrations and one point in First responder and I have to say I've been very pleased with the results. I realized that for whatever reason hammer shot pretty much grants first responder on demand even when you only have one point in it (so crits only have a 50% chance to give you the buff), which makes me feel a little better about using it.

Advanced Tech and Heavy Trooper are definitely worth it for PVE imo. Those little extra bits definitely help.

Edit: On rotations: I know it doesn't really hurt anything to open with Full Auto since you'll regen the two ammo back during the cast (or close enough it doesn't matter), but I always find myself going straight to the Grav x3. It gets the armor debuff on the boss 3 seconds quicker, and gets me to HiB and DR that much quicker. Plus I like to squeeze FA (for ammo regen purposes) in between HiB and DR, and while I can USUALLY depend on CoF proccing, usually isn't the same as always.

I've found even when keeping First Responder up a lot that you don't need to use Hammer Shot as much as you might think. The 4 piece set bonus is subtly amazing because it makes HiB free for us, and that means you should be using it on cooldown (unless the CD finishes during a FA channel). I try to use RP more or less on cooldown, preferrably when I'm at around 8-9 ammo and pair it with FA so I benefit the most from it's long channel time.

Others' thoughts on rotation? I feel like I keep missing the mark of where I should be and while our rotation isn't difficult that doesn't mean I couldn't be doing something better.
In update 2.9 the game will simply uninstall itself for you.

-Wnd