Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Gunnery Commando PvE Guide

jesseleeca
01.28.2014 , 10:48 AM | #221
Did a bit of editing, will start finishing the guides to HM DP when I'm done with my 2 midterms and 2 essays next week.

We finally downed Hateful Entity (the secret boss in S&V) last night and got the best title ever: The Eternal Warrior. As usual the issue was too much DPS in the start which screws stuff up. I might add a guide to it later, however it will have to be a rough guide as you have to play Assault for it and I suck at that.

Fun side-note: While the Nightmare Pilgrim debuff you get after downing him says you take 200% damage sounds manageable it is not, since, contrary to what it says, it does not do just 200% extra damage, I died to a 400k AoE.
[Prophecy of the Five] <The Crushers>
Havok-leader Lvl 55 Commando DPS/Combat Medic Gunnery PvE Guide
Transference Lvl 60 Guardian Tank/DPS
Morehots Lvl 60 Scoundrel Healer

AlteHeer
01.28.2014 , 11:37 AM | #222
Okay, I'm new to the game, and there certainly is a lot to learn. That being said, I have a level 12 Commando, that I'd to be a DPS dealer, with a possible exploration of a healer mode. Most of what I've seen for leveling appears geared to a much higher level players.
I'm not a stranger to MMORPGs. I've played WoW, Rift, Might & Magic, Everquest, FF just to name a few. I know it takes time to figure out best ways to advance characters, and I've been fortunate in having friendly, kind advice from various sources.
I'm asking for basic guidance from my level 12 perspective, i.e. skill tree, target rotation, et.al. So if someone would be so kind to offer their expertise? Thanks for listening.

JimmyTheCannon
01.28.2014 , 07:24 PM | #223
Quote: Originally Posted by AlteHeer View Post
Okay, I'm new to the game, and there certainly is a lot to learn. That being said, I have a level 12 Commando, that I'd to be a DPS dealer, with a possible exploration of a healer mode. Most of what I've seen for leveling appears geared to a much higher level players.
I'm not a stranger to MMORPGs. I've played WoW, Rift, Might & Magic, Everquest, FF just to name a few. I know it takes time to figure out best ways to advance characters, and I've been fortunate in having friendly, kind advice from various sources.
I'm asking for basic guidance from my level 12 perspective, i.e. skill tree, target rotation, et.al. So if someone would be so kind to offer their expertise? Thanks for listening.
Well, at your level there's not a lot in the way of rotations. You have Charged Bolts and Full Auto, and not a whole lot else that's Commando-specific versus Trooper in general. That said, I'd start off by replacing Explosive Round with Charged Bolts as your basic filler attack when everything else is on cooldown; you're going to have to get used to using that, and it's less ammo-intensive than ER. That said, ER's knockdown will still come in handy on some normal mobs, so don't take it off your toolbar just yet. If you haven't noticed yet, Full Auto's stun will often (if you're quick) let you follow it up with a High Impact Bolt on the same mob if you hit it immediately at the end of the channel, and that's handy.

Personally I would recommend Gunnery. I love that tree. Even with that said, I would stay in Plasma Cell until you have Grav Round. Plasma Cell's dot is, aside from knockdowns and stuns, what lets you use High Impact Bolt; when you have Grav Round, though, you can use HIB on any target that you've hit with a GR.

As far as a leveling *build*, surprisingly the endgame Gunnery build doesn't skip many useful leveling talents. I'd go with that, getting Steadied Aim and Havoc Rounds first. Reducing the pushbacks on your casts is essential in a caster class.

jesseleeca
01.30.2014 , 05:24 PM | #224
Added small note to Tyrans fight. Summary: hold back DPS at the start of the fight since Gunnery's initial burst is substantial.

Quote: Originally Posted by AlteHeer View Post
JimmyTheCannon has pretty much said everything you need to know. The only thing I can add, it's been forever since I levelled my commando, is that Mortar Volley is (slightly) OP when levelling, at least at low levels when a lot of the mobs get knocked down by it. Along the same line of reasoning, Plasma Grenade is also useful against groups since it can stun normal and weak mobs.
Feel free to ask if you run into other issues/need advice, I'll try to help however I can.

jesseleeca
02.01.2014 , 09:37 PM | #225
No longer relevant,

BrutusGulin
02.14.2014 , 12:18 PM | #226
Quote: Originally Posted by jesseleeca View Post
No longer relevant,
What are you referring to?

jesseleeca
02.14.2014 , 12:23 PM | #227
Quote: Originally Posted by BrutusGulin View Post
What are you referring to?
Someone was spamming stupid stuff. Now the post has been removed by mods so my reply is no longer relevant.

jesseleeca
02.17.2014 , 11:41 PM | #228
Did some editing, and added Raptus guide. I'll do the Calphayrus guide later (phases*2 makes it a pain in the a** to put down).
Interesting sidenote: For Corruptor Zero, you can kill him before he jumps up to do his big laser (we did it last week with 15 people) but hilariously the 1st laser still goes off and the adds still spawn.

In other news, I've got my mask from Hateful Entity and confirmed that I am bad at Assault spec. We now have the hardest content of the game on farm and will have to wait till Apr. 8 (aka When 2.7 is Supposed to Drop) to have new stuff to do. (NiM DF!!!)

jesseleeca
02.25.2014 , 03:32 PM | #229
Finished Dread Council guide, just missing Calphayus now.

Got a new mouse (the Logitech G600) and tried healing, with DPS gear, for Hateful Entity. The conclusion I reached from doing that is, at least for that fight, Commando healers are OP. On the 1st night, I was the sole commando healer and I blew everyone out, the highest I got on a run where we almost downed it was 4600ish EHPS, which is gross given I don't even know how to play the spec. So now I'm the guild's back-up healer and I got, almost a full set of gear last night, time to start practising.

jesseleeca
04.02.2014 , 03:33 PM | #230
Added section in rotation for 2.7 changes, will replace current section when patch drops.
Added To Do List.