Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Gunnery Commando PvE Guide

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Trooper > Commando
Gunnery Commando PvE Guide

ArchangelLBC's Avatar


ArchangelLBC
05.02.2013 , 12:28 AM | #141
Looking good. A note on Electronet. It seems, based on the stacks, that bosses don't have to move to take increased damage from the effect. I think that's purely a PVP mechanic.

I think the new boss fights are actually pretty friendly for us. Lots of stand and pew pew =X
Quote: Originally Posted by biowareftw View Post
The next EA/Bioware employee that ever thinks adding more CC to this game is a good idea? Fire them. Don't give them 2 weeks notice. Have security escort them to the door. Thank you in advance.

jesseleeca's Avatar


jesseleeca
05.02.2013 , 01:26 AM | #142
Quote: Originally Posted by ArchangelLBC View Post
Looking good. A note on Electronet. It seems, based on the stacks, that bosses don't have to move to take increased damage from the effect. I think that's purely a PVP mechanic.

I think the new boss fights are actually pretty friendly for us. Lots of stand and pew pew =X
Yeah, it seems that EN gets full stacks automatically when used on boss, not sure about other targets. On a side note, it's an awesome tool in PvP, can't get enough of Marauders trying to leap to me and ending up killing themselves while trying to get in range.

Anyone have ideas about the relics? I'm guessing the math would support a proc damage+proc power, I'm using a proc power+clicky power now. Wondering whether I should change that when I get the drops since as a general rule more burst is always good, but given that the boss fights seem to have less need of burst using the proc might not be bad.
[Prophecy of the Five] Pub: <Rude Dudes> Imp: <Rude Boys>
Havok-leader Lvl 55 Commando DPS /Combat Medic Gunnery PvE Guide
Transference Lvl 55 Guardian Tank
Imperial-havok Lvl 55 Operative Healer

ArchangelLBC's Avatar


ArchangelLBC
05.02.2013 , 01:59 AM | #143
Actually I'd say burst is more important in the current tier. Of course TFB was already a ton of burst phases, but even in Scum and Villainy what little difficulty there is (from a DPS standpoint) is just a matter of how quick you can burn.

Apparently the underworld relic of serendipitous assault stacks with partisan relic of serendipitous assault, so I've been running double power proc relics this past week. No in depth testing though, and I still keep my DG relic of Boundless Ages for the fights with particularly pronounced burst phases.

My personal feeling is that with high coefficients and low APM (compared to DoT classes) we're better off with proc power over proc damage (where the additional damage is static, and high APM in the form of dots leads to more chances to proc it on cooldown).
Quote: Originally Posted by biowareftw View Post
The next EA/Bioware employee that ever thinks adding more CC to this game is a good idea? Fire them. Don't give them 2 weeks notice. Have security escort them to the door. Thank you in advance.

SithKoriandr's Avatar


SithKoriandr
05.03.2013 , 10:36 PM | #144
I'll just ask here, since it seems like a good place to ask, instead of making a new thread

I have a Bounty Hunter Arsenal Spec, which is Trooper equivalent of Commando Gunnery. However, am I right on this...with Troopers offhand being a Power Generator, BH does more damage (off hand is another blaster) and Trooper is tougher (armor mods in the power generator).
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

jesseleeca's Avatar


jesseleeca
05.03.2013 , 10:55 PM | #145
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
I'll just ask here, since it seems like a good place to ask, instead of making a new thread

I have a Bounty Hunter Arsenal Spec, which is Trooper equivalent of Commando Gunnery. However, am I right on this...with Troopers offhand being a Power Generator, BH does more damage (off hand is another blaster) and Trooper is tougher (armor mods in the power generator).
Nope, there's no such thing.
[Prophecy of the Five] Pub: <Rude Dudes> Imp: <Rude Boys>
Havok-leader Lvl 55 Commando DPS /Combat Medic Gunnery PvE Guide
Transference Lvl 55 Guardian Tank
Imperial-havok Lvl 55 Operative Healer

SithKoriandr's Avatar


SithKoriandr
05.03.2013 , 11:06 PM | #146
Quote: Originally Posted by jesseleeca View Post
Nope, there's no such thing.
Able to explain for me?

I have the EsselesCommando's Power Generator in my offhand, it has an armoring mod instead of a barrel (like I thought it would have, due to my BH having two barrels of course).

Or is the offhand armoring and barrel do the same thing, just different item mods?
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

Khevar's Avatar


Khevar
05.04.2013 , 12:06 AM | #147
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
Able to explain for me?

I have the EsselesCommando's Power Generator in my offhand, it has an armoring mod instead of a barrel (like I thought it would have, due to my BH having two barrels of course).

Or is the offhand armoring and barrel do the same thing, just different item mods?
In an offhand, the armoring does not actually affect your armor rating.

You can test this by taking your armoring in and out while watching your armor rating.

What it does instead is add +tech power. If you switch to "Tech" stats in your stat sheet, and hover over the bonus damage, you can see the +tech power totals from your mainhand and offhand.

SithKoriandr's Avatar


SithKoriandr
05.04.2013 , 07:08 AM | #148
Quote: Originally Posted by Khevar View Post
In an offhand, the armoring does not actually affect your armor rating.

You can test this by taking your armoring in and out while watching your armor rating.

What it does instead is add +tech power. If you switch to "Tech" stats in your stat sheet, and hover over the bonus damage, you can see the +tech power totals from your mainhand and offhand.
Thanks
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

JimmyTheCannon's Avatar


JimmyTheCannon
05.05.2013 , 04:07 PM | #149
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
I'll just ask here, since it seems like a good place to ask, instead of making a new thread

I have a Bounty Hunter Arsenal Spec, which is Trooper equivalent of Commando Gunnery. However, am I right on this...with Troopers offhand being a Power Generator, BH does more damage (off hand is another blaster) and Trooper is tougher (armor mods in the power generator).
No on both counts, as an Assault Cannon gets more damage to balance not having an offhand. Same with Sniper Rifles for snipers vs. gunslingers.

However, the Mercenary has more chances to proc things like Critical Reactions in the healing tree and DPS relics, as more attacks via offhand leads to more crit rolls and such.

jesseleeca's Avatar


jesseleeca
05.08.2013 , 12:39 AM | #150
Updated view on new relic.
tl;dr: New clicky power relic is a crappy upgrade form Dread Guard due to the flat loss of 15 power.
[Prophecy of the Five] Pub: <Rude Dudes> Imp: <Rude Boys>
Havok-leader Lvl 55 Commando DPS /Combat Medic Gunnery PvE Guide
Transference Lvl 55 Guardian Tank
Imperial-havok Lvl 55 Operative Healer