Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Famous Jedi bloodline is overused among great jedi?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Famous Jedi bloodline is overused among great jedi?

ReiKai's Avatar


ReiKai
12.09.2012 , 02:41 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by pbajnokl View Post
Hey!? We don't even know Revan's real name, maybe his name is Axe Windu
no no no. It was Deus Ex Skywalker.
CE Owner: ...what? I wanted the music. I like music.
Statement: SGRA's - I support them. Do you have a problem with that, Meatbag?

Ventessel's Avatar


Ventessel
12.09.2012 , 11:09 PM | #22
In the EU, the Skywalkers are definitely getting annoying. However, you can see how it's an easy way to tie a new writer into the established continuity of the movies. Someone said that it was starting to resemble Marvel/DC, and that is a trend I despise and would like to see averted.

I was so glad that Marvel Avengers got that reboot with the new movies, since those characters needed some humanization and had to be brought back to something believable. I would love to see the post Ep. VI EU get something similar out of the upcoming SW trilogy of films.

ReiKai's Avatar


ReiKai
12.09.2012 , 11:44 PM | #23
Well that was always something in Marvel. Their characters were generally more Human with actual problems that people go through, while DC early on was always about the Clean Shaven, ultra-good hero who always did the right thing and would never fail. Superman grew up on a farm and just developed powers and did ridiculous stuff.

Spider-Man was a Normal teenager with teenager problems, who accidentally gained powers, and whose problems became more compound by not only needing to hide this fact from fiend and family, but that his selfishness in using them caused the death of his uncle, even if it was indirectly. Superman could pretty much do anything and almost nothing could hurt him. Spider-Man had clear limits and relied heavily upon his spider sense to escape injury as much as possible, but has still been hurt and surprised by villains.

Marvel had more depth to their characters than DC did. But, with all things, years go by, writers change, and everyone gets ridiculously powerful. Even Spider-Man had cosmic powers for a time as Captain Universe. Which, thank Stan Lee, did not last.

Ya know, I started comparing SW to Marvel/DC years ago when I heard fans going on about how Luke Skywalker could take on the Silver Surfer because he can move planets and black holes and things with the Force. I cannot express how badly I wished to throttle these people.

There is one thing I find to be true. Characters can be powerful and still have a great story if you know how to balance it. Characters with little to no powers, generally have great stories. And characters with absurd levels of power, generally have terrible stories. There's only a handful of exceptionally powerful characters in fiction that can actually be written well.
CE Owner: ...what? I wanted the music. I like music.
Statement: SGRA's - I support them. Do you have a problem with that, Meatbag?

Ventessel's Avatar


Ventessel
12.10.2012 , 01:40 AM | #24
I think the trick is to write the character FIRST, and give them powers second. Otherwise they'll be seen as "the guy who moves planets" and won't gain character depth in relation to the powers they acquire.

Slowpokeking's Avatar


Slowpokeking
12.10.2012 , 12:49 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Ventessel View Post
I think the trick is to write the character FIRST, and give them powers second. Otherwise they'll be seen as "the guy who moves planets" and won't gain character depth in relation to the powers they acquire.
But the problem is their power will grow over time.

Slowpokeking's Avatar


Slowpokeking
12.10.2012 , 12:52 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Ventessel View Post
In the EU, the Skywalkers are definitely getting annoying. However, you can see how it's an easy way to tie a new writer into the established continuity of the movies. Someone said that it was starting to resemble Marvel/DC, and that is a trend I despise and would like to see averted.

I was so glad that Marvel Avengers got that reboot with the new movies, since those characters needed some humanization and had to be brought back to something believable. I would love to see the post Ep. VI EU get something similar out of the upcoming SW trilogy of films.
Reboot is the worst thing of DC/Marvel. People can get rezed, everything can restart from the beginning, and the history just don't move much. Glad SW does not have it. Sure Luke's power is a bit over the top in EU, but that's not the real problem of post RotJ stories.

ReiKai's Avatar


ReiKai
12.10.2012 , 04:57 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
Reboot is the worst thing of DC/Marvel. People can get rezed, everything can restart from the beginning, and the history just don't move much. Glad SW does not have it. Sure Luke's power is a bit over the top in EU, but that's not the real problem of post RotJ stories.
SW is getting a reboot of sorts with Ep7 thanks to Disney pretty much dumping the entire EU.
CE Owner: ...what? I wanted the music. I like music.
Statement: SGRA's - I support them. Do you have a problem with that, Meatbag?

Slowpokeking's Avatar


Slowpokeking
12.10.2012 , 05:12 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by ReiKai View Post
SW is getting a reboot of sorts with Ep7 thanks to Disney pretty much dumping the entire EU.
That's retcon, not reboot.