Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

WORKAROUND - Flashpoint Crashing

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Elysith
03.30.2013 , 08:08 PM | #101
It's not a performance problem.

It's started right after one specific swtor update (I forgot which one because it's been a while now). Before that as you can read in the various post on the forums, the same clients including mine could play the flashpoints normally.

Sadly both The Esseles and the Black Talon are the best missions to repeat for collecting social points for once. So it's very annoying on that aspect for players affected by the issue.

I can skip the problem when playing the Foundry, by not "spacebarring" the initial dialogues, or say otherwise have the hyperspace animation happens out of dialogue. But if I rush the dialogue then the hyperspace animation/sound is triggered in middle of the dialogue and the game simply crash to desktop.

OwenBrooks
03.30.2013 , 08:15 PM | #102
I don't disagree it shouldn't be happening, it also doesn't affect everyone

Simple fact of alt tabbing and it doesn't crash means it isn't code based as such as the game code runs when minimized.
What isn't taxed on minimized is the display driver, why it occurs I do not know.

Elysith
03.30.2013 , 08:42 PM | #103
I was editing my post while you were replying. With the last paragraph:

Quote:
I can skip the problem when playing the Foundry, by not "spacebarring" the initial dialogues, or say otherwise have the hyperspace animation happens out of dialogue. But if I rush the dialogue then the hyperspace animation/sound is triggered in middle of the dialogue and the game simply crash to desktop.
I play SWTOR on the following config:

Intel Core I5-2500K
8GB RAM
GeForce 560 ti 1GB

All at max settings with nameplates ON without any performance issue.
I've been playing since the game release and I've enjoyed the Black Talon and the Esseles many times in loop just to collect social points on various characters.
Then one day, swtor gets updated and boom suddenly the issue appears. And not just for me but for other player as well at the same time.

While I have not tested alt-tabbing out recently because I play in FullScreen-Windowed mode (alt-tab does not minimize the game in that video mode) since I have more than one screen and misclicking on the second screen is bad for your character/spaceship health when the game suddenly gets minimized while in middle of a fight .
But It seems alt-tabbing does not prevent the crash for every player from what you can read around
Also I remember one time I've had the game minimized in the Esseles while a teammate was doing the problematic conversation, and the crash still happened where it "should".

I think one of the swtor update changed some directly or indirectly related code to this issue.
Why it does not affect everyone but only certain client and with different configs, like you I don't know.
Only thing I know is it was working then suddenly stopped working right after an update.
But from what I'm describing. It really does not look like a performance issue.

Ansune
04.11.2013 , 02:46 AM | #104
Flashpoint Esseles did not crash the first time completing it on Patch 2.0.0a
Flashpoint Esseles continuously crashed on the warp to light speed scene during the second play-through.

Allowed the engineers to live, did not leave Ambassador Asara behind, ratted out Haken.
-Playing in Windowed Fullscreen mode.
-Scanned to repair files, nothing indicated corrupt.
-Set AMD drivers to Performance Preset
-Set SWTOR to Very Low Quality Graphics
-Alt-tabbed as soon as the conversation was initiated.
-Windows Key+D as soon as conversation initiated.

None of the above worked, finally just had to let my party finish the conversation without me.
This is the only way I was able to finish the flashpoint and collect my reward.

paperhurts
04.28.2013 , 03:39 PM | #105
Quote: Originally Posted by Beesodd View Post
Thanks for the provided workaround, kitno.

Hopefully it will be useful while we're looking into the issue with Hyperspace animations that some players are seeing.
Wouldn't the easy fix be - until you figure out what is actually causing this - to just remove the hyperspace animations?
My husband and I have just wasted half an hour trying to finish this instance. Longer than it took us to run the instance.

KuroshimaiHD
04.28.2013 , 06:20 PM | #106
Quote: Originally Posted by Beesodd View Post
Thanks for the provided workaround, kitno.

Hopefully it will be useful while we're looking into the issue with Hyperspace animations that some players are seeing.
It's now over 5 months since this was posted, and the issue is STILL THERE.
Is retexturing armor models to sell on the Cartel Store really more important that fixing game crashing bugs? Really?

Qaoz
05.02.2013 , 06:40 AM | #107
As much as I hate bumping threads, could you guys please give this thing a look? Like, seriously? Having to restart the client every time I run Black Talon is just painful, and I imagine a lot of newcomers get a not so glamorous look at the game's maintenance, or lack thereof.

For all I care, remove the lightspeed cutscenes from the game until you figure out what's causing it. Just do something other than "Oh, seems alt-tab works for some people, so that's good enough". Alt-tabbing doesn't work for me (windowed fullscreen), so I crash EVERY - SINGLE - TIME. It's frustrating as all hell.

Can't believe how this has gone unchanged for almost half a year. Cut out the lightspeed scenes instead of this workaround stuff that doesn't work for everyone.

P.S. Would've commented sooner, but pref. players aren't allowed to report bugs and stuff. Good times. Now I'm a subscriber, though, so I hope my reports are okay?
If only I'd hit spacebar more often...

Sarielle
05.10.2013 , 09:57 AM | #108
I can't complete it either, nor can my husband on a totally different setup.

Quintz
05.12.2013 , 02:57 PM | #109
crashes to desktop every time in Esseless
dxdiag report
Spoiler

HoS_Dave
05.25.2013 , 11:51 PM | #110
Same issue. Crash to desktop during final conversation on Esseles.