Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Disappointed by the Mercenary

PirateMouse
12.20.2011 , 01:27 AM | #1
I have to say, I really am.

I can remember thinking Merc was the way I'd want to go because hey, guns akimbo goodness! Right?

Except the "guns" barely matter. You're basically either ARSEnal, and you spend all of your time bent over spamming missiles from your back, or you're a healer, and all you do is spam heals.

Or you go Pyrotech, and you're sort of supposedly a little more mobile than the Arsenal spec, but you're still basically just a turret with minimal kiting ability and CC when it comes down to it, only now you have less dps, too. I could be mistaken, but it seems to me that pretty much anything a Pyrotech Mercenary can do, a Gunslinger can do better.

It just seems kind of strange to have "look, you get dual pistols!" as a defining feature of the Mercenary, and then you're basically never actually using your pistols.

That's why I wound up going Powertech in the end. If blaster pistols are sort of just barely even incidental to Bounty Hunters most of the time, then the lure of being able to dual wield them is sort of meaningless.

Just my two cents'.

Sericus
12.20.2011 , 01:30 AM | #2
Agree

Phuzz
12.20.2011 , 01:34 AM | #3
Would be interesting to know (honestly) what your level is, as i suspect you havent got all your abilities up to 50 (which might change things, although i never tried the Merc tbh)

Also, if youre not enjoying that character, then I would suggest that you would be happier playing something else that fits in with what youre looking for.

PirateMouse
12.20.2011 , 04:25 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Phuzz View Post
Would be interesting to know (honestly) what your level is, as i suspect you havent got all your abilities up to 50 (which might change things, although i never tried the Merc tbh)
I'm basing my information off of videos and descriptions taken from level 50 Mercenaries in both PvE and PvP. So I'd have to say that unless they just had no idea what they were doing, it's good information. Given everyone seems to agree that Arsenal is played primarily by spamming Tracer Missile, while Pyrotech is inferior dps with a very modest mobility improvement, I'm not sure what would change by me gaining a few levels, especially since I wound up choosing not to go the Mercenary route after all.

Speaking of which ...

Quote:
Also, if youre not enjoying that character, then I would suggest that you would be happier playing something else that fits in with what youre looking for.
That was fully covered in my original post:

Quote: Originally Posted by PirateMouse View Post
That's why I wound up going Powertech in the end.

Massenburg
12.20.2011 , 04:34 AM | #5
Try speccing Pyrotech, as far as i know it relies heavily on guns abilities!

PirateMouse
12.20.2011 , 04:49 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Massenburg View Post
Try speccing Pyrotech, as far as i know it relies heavily on guns abilities!
Quote: Originally Posted by PirateMouse View Post
Or you go Pyrotech, and you're sort of supposedly a little more mobile than the Arsenal spec, but you're still basically just a turret with minimal kiting ability and CC when it comes down to it, only now you have less dps, too. I could be mistaken, but it seems to me that pretty much anything a Pyrotech Mercenary can do, a Gunslinger can do better.
Seriously, what's with all the people replying without even reading the post first?

iWopo
12.20.2011 , 05:01 AM | #7
I also took the Merc class at level 10. I just recently hit 25, and the further I level, the less I enjoy the AC. Wish I went Powertech instead.

I specced into the Pyro tree, mainly because I didn't like the fact that I had to spam Tracer Missile multiple times to achieve decent damage output. Pyro tends to be a little more mobile as well, allowing an easier time in pvp for me.

Since Incendiary Missile and Rail Shot are both instant casts, along with majority of the abilities in my rotation, mobility is pretty decent for Pyro Mercs and damage is respectable.

Massenburg
12.20.2011 , 05:03 AM | #8
I've answered after reading your post, it seems that you were disappointed cause you do not use you guns so much. I'm not english native so i might have misread it, is this the case?

I've said that going pyrotech you will rely on your guns abilities more often = you will use more your guns!

--

EDIT
NVM i've just missed the part where you were talking about pyro! :P

Herrou
12.20.2011 , 05:12 AM | #9
As a bodyguard I tend to shoot people with my blasters all day long. Sure, I shoot friendlies, which may not have been what you aimed for when you made your mercenary.

But I sure get to use my offhand!

Zoream
12.20.2011 , 05:49 AM | #10
Im also very dissapointed in mercenary, I top damage meters in battlegrounds but one on one with most classes i die