Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

F2P won't save anything. Content will.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
F2P won't save anything. Content will.

Soluss's Avatar


Soluss
11.22.2012 , 10:53 AM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by Ravanofdarkness View Post
Honestly, Game Update 1.5 barely added much except a new Companion a small new Area to explorer and the F2P. I'm pretty sure whatever is in Game Update 1.6 should of been part of Game Update 1.5 like the new Space Missions, new Warzone Map etc... honestly every MMO i played such as FFXI, WoW, STO, Phantasy Star Online etc... when they added new Content you saw alot of new stuff being added but ToR adds less then what a random FPS Game adds. Hell, i think CoD and Battlefield add more Content then ToR did since release. I've been Subscribed since Day 1 when the Game released and stayed Subscribed since but i expect alot more Content to be added every 6 weeks because this is a joke.
When they said, smaller more frequent updates.... thats what they meant. Small updates but more often.

1. Operation
2. World event
3. HK-51 quest
4. Warzone
5. Space missions
6. Flashpoint
7. Daily area
8. Rinse and repeat

You will get 1 of those... mixed with some bug fixes and maybe some balance passes and surely some cash shop updates every 6 weeks or so. Some of the smaller ones like Daily Area and HK 51 can be mixed together sometimes. This is the new content idea. I actually think its better then trying to fit half of it into 1 large 5 month update. Atleast now, you get a little something quite frequently.

What they need to do is start working on other types of content. I have a feeling they wont do that anymore. Maybe with a large expansion but unlikely still.
James Ohlen: " For 2012 we really want players to feel like they're getting their money's worth. You're going to see so many changes and additions to the Star Wars Universe. It's going to be impressive. We have our Update 1.2 coming in the next week and then after that it's going to continue to roll out month after month. It's exciting."

lklinga's Avatar


lklinga
11.22.2012 , 10:59 AM | #32
And there is 1.6 on the PTS already.

Again small but right after 1.5 It is wither the twice a year Eve Model or this or once in a year paid box upgrade.

I don't know which is superior but honestly if the total over time is same I do not care

Drebs's Avatar


Drebs
11.22.2012 , 11:37 AM | #33
The game has a ton of content already, they've just set us on a very narrow path to experiencing it.

My solution? Have all the planetary side-quests scale to the player's current level. Make bonus-series quests unlock when you complete 100% of a planets' content, and have them be repeatable and award daily commendations.

Players want to feel like they have choice, and they need a reason to revisit their favorite planets.

Soluss's Avatar


Soluss
11.22.2012 , 11:51 AM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by Drebs View Post
The game has a ton of content already, they've just set us on a very narrow path to experiencing it.

My solution? Have all the planetary side-quests scale to the player's current level. Make bonus-series quests unlock when you complete 100% of a planets' content, and have them be repeatable and award daily commendations.

Players want to feel like they have choice, and they need a reason to revisit their favorite planets.
It has a lot of generic content. I wouldnt say a ton of content is what this game has. It is lacking in many areas.
James Ohlen: " For 2012 we really want players to feel like they're getting their money's worth. You're going to see so many changes and additions to the Star Wars Universe. It's going to be impressive. We have our Update 1.2 coming in the next week and then after that it's going to continue to roll out month after month. It's exciting."

kosiah's Avatar


kosiah
11.22.2012 , 11:58 AM | #35
My tin hat theory is, the Disney deal is what killed this game, and it happened a while back in some boardroom, maybe even before the game's release. Maybe Disney doesn't want to be bothered approving content for an MMO. Maybe they don't want to have their IP associated with an adult MMO. Maybe they want to focus on their own movies--and creating products based on that Star Wars and not have the waters muddied with this one.

In that light, ToR going FtP is just the last cash grab.

Don't get me wrong, I love the game, but I don't see any indications that anyone is investing in its future.
Kosiah, P'ink, Mekk, Veiny etc.
The Jin Legacy

Grammarye's Avatar


Grammarye
11.22.2012 , 12:07 PM | #36
Content is a matter of perspective. If you don't do Operations or PvP, then quite a few updates have been incredibly content-light. We had no significant extension of player story for some time. I don't disagree that content is good - of course it is - but dead-end endgame content is not what is needed. If you're already of the mindset that wants a gear treadmill, that can be achieved with 6-7 raids with Normal, Hard & Insane difficulties and different gear that drops in each. Job done. Content that holds player interest over the longer term for players that don't want to raid all day in the same dungeon (sorry, operation) is always slower to come, but also as critical.

However, you're wrong on F2P not having significant beneficial effects. It does two things: it brings in spikes of money and it brings in population. Both are of benefit to an MMO. When players are dropping $240 in a day on gambling for cartel boxes (whether you agree with that conceptually/philosophically or not), it has a direct visible effect. When Coruscant has 5 instances with 100 people in each vs even Christmas launch with perhaps 2 instances total, again, that has an effect.
For 2000 Cartel Coins, a year-old game breaking bug may get fixed.
For $20, an epic death scene for your character is unlocked to end your overly expensive class story. Subscribers pay $10.

CosmicKat's Avatar


CosmicKat
11.22.2012 , 01:49 PM | #37
Quote: Originally Posted by kosiah View Post
My tin hat theory is, the Disney deal is what killed this game, and it happened a while back in some boardroom, maybe even before the game's release. Maybe Disney doesn't want to be bothered approving content for an MMO. Maybe they don't want to have their IP associated with an adult MMO. Maybe they want to focus on their own movies--and creating products based on that Star Wars and not have the waters muddied with this one.

In that light, ToR going FtP is just the last cash grab.

Don't get me wrong, I love the game, but I don't see any indications that anyone is investing in its future.
Disney has nothing to do with it.

They've released far more "adult" content under subsiduaries than Lucasfilm ever did. Pulp Fiction was a "Disney" movie.

ptwonline's Avatar


ptwonline
11.22.2012 , 02:15 PM | #38
Quote: Originally Posted by Grammarye View Post
Content is a matter of perspective. If you don't do Operations or PvP, then quite a few updates have been incredibly content-light. We had no significant extension of player story for some time. I don't disagree that content is good - of course it is - but dead-end endgame content is not what is needed. If you're already of the mindset that wants a gear treadmill, that can be achieved with 6-7 raids with Normal, Hard & Insane difficulties and different gear that drops in each. Job done. Content that holds player interest over the longer term for players that don't want to raid all day in the same dungeon (sorry, operation) is always slower to come, but also as critical.

However, you're wrong on F2P not having significant beneficial effects. It does two things: it brings in spikes of money and it brings in population. Both are of benefit to an MMO. When players are dropping $240 in a day on gambling for cartel boxes (whether you agree with that conceptually/philosophically or not), it has a direct visible effect. When Coruscant has 5 instances with 100 people in each vs even Christmas launch with perhaps 2 instances total, again, that has an effect.
F2P brings in people but without new content you'll likely see the same pattern of churn as players run out of content or get bored: big early numbers followed by fairly rapid population losses within 6 months.

Without significant new content or a more appealing cash shop, I think this game is doomed. F2P simply pushes doomsday out a bit.

Slowpokeking's Avatar


Slowpokeking
11.22.2012 , 02:40 PM | #39
I think F2P is going to bring people back, give them at least the hope of profit, then EA/Bioware will throw in more money and effort to work on new contents.

Slowpokeking's Avatar


Slowpokeking
11.22.2012 , 02:43 PM | #40
Quote: Originally Posted by ptwonline View Post
F2P brings in people but without new content you'll likely see the same pattern of churn as players run out of content or get bored: big early numbers followed by fairly rapid population losses within 6 months.

Without significant new content or a more appealing cash shop, I think this game is doomed. F2P simply pushes doomsday out a bit.
I guess it's the time to release new story, that's what attracted people the most and is the most unique element of this game.