Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

F2P won't save anything. Content will.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
F2P won't save anything. Content will.

Katsuragisama
11.22.2012 , 05:07 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by WhillB View Post
I think the FTP model was not properly thought out. They pretty much gave the game away for free. Instead of a few restrictions, there should have been a lvl cap on ftp with an open game up to a point. That way, people could get an idea what the game was. Kinda like a good book that has only the 1st few chapters then suddenly stops... You will wanna read on once your hooked,

On a side note; PLAESE put chat bubbles in. There is no community here because of the lack of easy communication. An mmo without players that can interact with each other is not an mmo.
They should have taken it up to like, F2P for level 35 or something. Beyond that the story should be what drives you to sub, and if you enjoyed lower level FP/WZ's.

I just came back and most of my ol' guildies seem to have the mentality of squeezing as much fun out of the game before they inevitably shut it down. And... I feel the exact same way. So I'll play this between the times I dont feel like playing GW2 or Asassin's Creed.
Quote: Originally Posted by John Riccitiello, Electronic Arts Inc. - CEO
When you are six hours into playing Battlefield and you run out of ammo in your clip, and we ask you for a dollar to reload, you're really not very price sensitive at that point in time... We're not gouging, but we're charging.

Fornix
11.22.2012 , 06:09 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Upright View Post
There have been games over the last 12 years that have held my interest for a year or more at a time. Most of those I've revisited for extended periods as well. It is possible. It also had nothing to do with pay model.

The days of buggy and lag ridden 2 or 3 hour raids being acceptable have been over for a long time. TOR is proving that even as we type. I hope that they change more than just the billing style.
Yeh, for me there have been games like that as well, TOR being one of them. Thing is, for an MMO to keep interest is a personal thing. I doubt over 90% of the MMO's you played and grabbed your interest for such a period of time, got me bored after a month or two at best.

Beyond that, yes there are some issues on the latest raids, however they are minimal and in general do not prevent progression. As far as lag is concerned, I have none.
Member of <Helix>

Rayla_Felana
11.22.2012 , 06:18 AM | #23
Free to play is two things, a moneymaker and a second launch if you will, the foolish idea of going on holiday not even a week after F2P launched is beyond comprehension, but the only question now is if they can keep up the every 6 weeks statement, they have done so far and they look to be keeping it, Ancient Hypergates might keep people around but they need something bigger than that for post-F2P, alongside their event, now it is all about churning out sufficient quality content at a quick enough pace.

gresiac
11.22.2012 , 06:20 AM | #24
i played DAOC 6years without closing my subscription the second game only got 6month max says enough ...

lklinga
11.22.2012 , 06:38 AM | #25
I still laugh at people like the OP every day.

I mean nothing against your naive and idealistic ideas on ho business works but please get a real job and succeed in it and you will see how business works.

Is for shareholders not for community. Hello capt Obvious.
And what do you think is the reason they made a game in the first place?

Ironically to play it safe so MOST of the community is happy leads to bad game decisions because the shareholders say no no no we can not have looting corpses of players or any death penalty.

This is not only TOR problem but MMO problem lately. Designed by committee and based on feedback from people that will just leave in 6 months anyhow.

RamasSoKehur
11.22.2012 , 06:54 AM | #26
Content won't save anything, f2p won't save any****

theres 348609340869 bugs that are making classes sux, theres bugs here since the launch making ppl play the game with 2 fps

content is just going to turn this game in a larger piece of ****

1st, fix what we have, after that yes, content will help

KennethHoover
11.22.2012 , 07:15 AM | #27
There is a lot of truth in the statement that shareholders hold the final reins on this game, not players. I wish it were otherwise, but that's the reality in any endeavor like this one.

It's a good game, I like it. But there have been many questionable decisions on the part of management that makes you scratch your head, haha.
"I need an Ewok to fetch me coffee and donuts."

My professional writing blog: http://kennethmarkhoover.me

kevlarto
11.22.2012 , 07:31 AM | #28
The problem with the mmo genre as a whole is it has grown stale to allot of people, these companies keep pumping out clones of each other with different skins not giving the players anything different to do from game to game, people have got bored with it.

I hope the industry wakes up and starts making some games with different and diverse game play, heck maybe something as simple as a theme park/sandbox hybrid, we need options in our games different things to do, in an mmo our toons should feel like they live in the world not just playing through it. The problems with TOR is not just a problem with TOR, it's a problem with all mmo's over the last few years, so yes f2p is not going to save anything until the industry changes the core game mechanics, adds new thing for us to do, and gets creativity back in to the mmo world...

Companies have milked the wow play model (or EQ model) to the point they are losing money on these games, the share holders are not getting the profits or bonus checks they want, this will be the only thing that will drive change in the gaming market, since they do not make these games because they love us as nice as that would be..
Do not dwell in the past, do not not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.

Expectations lead to suffering

Ravanofdarkness
11.22.2012 , 07:44 AM | #29
Honestly, Game Update 1.5 barely added much except a new Companion a small new Area to explorer and the F2P. I'm pretty sure whatever is in Game Update 1.6 should of been part of Game Update 1.5 like the new Space Missions, new Warzone Map etc... honestly every MMO i played such as FFXI, WoW, STO, Phantasy Star Online etc... when they added new Content you saw alot of new stuff being added but ToR adds less then what a random FPS Game adds. Hell, i think CoD and Battlefield add more Content then ToR did since release. I've been Subscribed since Day 1 when the Game released and stayed Subscribed since but i expect alot more Content to be added every 6 weeks because this is a joke.

Ognajd
11.22.2012 , 10:33 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Kaonis View Post
I agree fully. F2P is just a cheap way for EA/BW to milk people for money before the game dies off completely, that's all it is. Successful games don't go F2P within a year of release, only the games that failed do this.

The game has a ton of issues, and instead of devoting resources to fixing those issues (bugs, lack of content, core gameplay issues), they spent time on setting up F2P, because even they understand what a disaster this is and are trying to grab at what ever cash they can get before the end.
+1... /10char