Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

PvP: Gear or Skill?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
PvP: Gear or Skill?

AngusFTW
11.22.2012 , 10:13 AM | #31
tldr its a little bit of everything... einsteins
Tomb of Freedon Nadd
55s.
Bleezar, Bleezár. Bleezlórd. Bleezard. Bleezford, Bleeznaut, Bleezfatt,
Lowbies
Bleezbian, Bleezguard, Bleezdian

vid
twitch

Wainamoinen
11.22.2012 , 10:19 AM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by AngusFTW View Post
tldr its a little bit of everything... einsteins
You know that it's 100% gear and 100% other OP classes and 0% skill, stop trying to confuse matters.
It's a small world and it smells funny, I'd buy another if it wasn't for the money.
Ilmarinen 55 Scoundrel (Red Eclipse)

Solarenergy
11.22.2012 , 10:45 AM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by Juzzyx View Post
Gear does next to nothing, I lvled 2 of my toons from 10-49 only upgraded gear at 20 and 40 and played the biggest role for my team in most games. (if I didnt top DPS it's cuz I wasn't hitting the tank that got healed all game. I was actually killing people and having more downtime because I was running between people I was killing). Having level 20 gear at 39 is way worse than having any kind of average gear at 50 vs geared players.
No it isn't. Once again, gear matters very little in under-50 warzones. The gear issue that is being discussed is for level 50 PVP. Having level 20 gear at level 39, you still get bolstered and can hit just as much as anyone else in that warzone. You also won't get hit for more just because you're gear is outdated. Bolster is an equalizer of stats. The main disadvantages in under-50 warzones is that you are limited at lower levels by having fewer abilities than those players with a higher level toon. There were people in under-50's on my old server who stripped naked for laughs and still got top damage. In level 50 warzones, it's completely different. How hard you hit and how much you can get hit for is determined by gear.

Exilim
11.22.2012 , 11:00 AM | #34
This game is a giant spreadsheet of numbers. Skill is only the determining factor if those numbers are near equal.

Gear, stats, numbers > skill the vast majority of the time.
I believe in people bombing
I believe in people warring
I believe diseases coming
I believe that's why I'm running

Wainamoinen
11.22.2012 , 11:02 AM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by Solarenergy View Post
No it isn't. Once again, gear matters very little in under-50 warzones. The gear issue that is being discussed is for level 50 PVP. Having level 20 gear at level 39, you still get bolstered and can hit just as much as anyone else in that warzone.
Not actually correct. Bolster scales gear by level, so any advantage/disadvantage in gear at your low level is scaled up proportionately. Or so I have always been led to believe, at any rate.

I guess that if you can find a class that gets big-ticket abilities at the lowest possible level, then twink them as hard as you can, you'll see a bigger gain than doing it at higher sub-50 levels. 49 is different because of all the high level gear you can grab at that point.
It's a small world and it smells funny, I'd buy another if it wasn't for the money.
Ilmarinen 55 Scoundrel (Red Eclipse)

Savej
11.22.2012 , 11:12 AM | #36
When you win it's all about skill.
When you lose it's all about gear.

Exilim
11.22.2012 , 11:12 AM | #37
Quote: Originally Posted by Wainamoinen View Post
Not actually correct. Bolster scales gear by level, so any advantage/disadvantage in gear at your low level is scaled up proportionately. Or so I have always been led to believe, at any rate.

I guess that if you can find a class that gets big-ticket abilities at the lowest possible level, then twink them as hard as you can, you'll see a bigger gain than doing it at higher sub-50 levels. 49 is different because of all the high level gear you can grab at that point.
It does matter you are right. You can take a level 40 wearing level 35 green gear into a warzone. Then buy lvl 40 purple equipment and notice a pretty big difference.
I believe in people bombing
I believe in people warring
I believe diseases coming
I believe that's why I'm running

Jarfunkz
11.22.2012 , 11:16 AM | #38
50% class, 30% gear, 15% skill, 15% stun.
VicVega

fungihoujo
11.22.2012 , 12:19 PM | #39
Quote: Originally Posted by FourTwent View Post
Skill > Gear

dont be one of the QQ carebears that use gear as a crutch for their lack of skill
Let me guess- you're in full WH, augmented and min/maxed by mod switching.

Simply put- you're using a crutch yourself and know you're terrible without it.

And we all know this is true- because if we asked you to put out a few videos of you playing in recruit gear, you'd balk at the very idea of having to play without a massive statistical damage.

The only bads are the people who don't know that having 6% bonus damage, defense and healing from expertise alone, then another 15+% bonus to other stats, and as much as a 50% bonus to health constitutes a difference that can only be overcome if you're very good fighting someone who is very bad.

fungihoujo
11.22.2012 , 12:23 PM | #40
Quote: Originally Posted by Wainamoinen View Post

Gear isn't the be all and end all. Simply put- in greens that are on average 5 levels lower than me, my sniper is still able to get top damage in WZ every time, often by as much as 50% over the second player. My mara is able to get 55 kills when the second best is at 35.

I'd love to see someone in level 45 greens top the charts in level 50 pvp on a regular basis- but even the best players won't be able to do that.