Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

PvP: Gear or Skill?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
PvP: Gear or Skill?

cashogy
11.22.2012 , 12:08 AM | #11
skill trumps gear if skill is above a certain level
skill trumps class if skill is above a certain level

if you have enough skill, you should be able to contend with the best of them, regardless of gear and class.

JackNader
11.22.2012 , 12:45 AM | #12
You people are dreaming lol.

Stuns > Spec/class > gear > skill

Stuns trump everything. All you need to do is spam stuns and then watch your target, regardless of class, spec, gear or skill get completely destroyed while they are unable to do any damage back.

Spec/class is next. If you get 2 equally geared and equally skilled sins. 1 is maul spec sin and the other is full HD tank spec. The tank spec sin has a MASSIVE advantage over the maul spec sin. If you get a fully geared sage vs a fully geared maul spec sin. The maul spec sin has a MASSIVE advantage over the sage regardless of their spec, etc, etc

Next is gear. Two players of same skill, class and spec.. one is in recruit and the other is full min maxed war hero. The winner is determined purely by gear.

Skill is right down at the bottom of the list.

DarthRaika
11.22.2012 , 01:23 AM | #13
The question is really pretty difficult to answer. Class/spec/cds/wz/consumables/crits/etc. make up a huge portion. In a 1v1 it is much more team/cds/consumables/crits/class/gear than skill, however in teamplay skill really can make a recruit player a major contender.

However, there is another issue to consider. swtor has a very low softcap for skill. This means that with just mediocre skill in the fotm classes you can be almost as good as a decently skilled player. Of course I said softcap and so if you are much more skilled than the average player then you will still shine even with bad gear. The main problem with a low softcap though is that it makes it very easy for mediocre geared premaders to appear like great players. I think 1.6 will help with this though.

AMKSED
11.22.2012 , 01:27 AM | #14
25% Spec
35% Skill
40% Gear

Juzzyx
11.22.2012 , 03:27 AM | #15
Gear does next to nothing, I lvled 2 of my toons from 10-49 only upgraded gear at 20 and 40 and played the biggest role for my team in most games. (if I didnt top DPS it's cuz I wasn't hitting the tank that got healed all game. I was actually killing people and having more downtime because I was running between people I was killing). Having level 20 gear at 39 is way worse than having any kind of average gear at 50 vs geared players.
Dangerous missions are what I do best.

Icestar
11.22.2012 , 04:02 AM | #16
Recruit VS augmented warhero : 99% gear 1% skill

Augmented warhero VS augmented warhero : 100% skill

MidichIorian
11.22.2012 , 06:06 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Icestar View Post
Recruit VS augmented warhero : 99% gear 1% skill

Augmented warhero VS augmented warhero : 100% skill
I can post 50 screenshots right now in which I am topping charts in 114 expertise, the wh relics for power. I also have screenshots where I'm topping the dps chart in greens, I ran an experiment and bought a full set of greens for 35K on GTN. Granted that it's not in rateds but only 1 % or so of the player base is playing that pvp form so it would be freaking stupid to use that as an argument.

Premades? You encounter a good premade in perhaps one out of 20 warzones. And yes, you will get burned down faster with no damage mitigation from expetise but it's not like you would survive a coordinated attack in 1380 expertise either so we're talking about milliseconds here.

This was a response to you saying that gear > skill. If you on the other hand compare two equally skilled players, where one is using recruit and the other wh, it would be a different story. No one's agruing that expertise gives the WH player an advantage in that situation.

Atramar
11.22.2012 , 06:20 AM | #18
pre 50 wz, it's spec (worthless spec is wortless no matter how good you are plus bolster works better for some)> SKILL> gear

on 50 it's skill>spec (since you should know how to pvp by then, and some specs are better then others)>team>gear

with exception of stealthers where skill>gear>spec (IMO)

edit: please stop telling about 'top dps', wz are about winning and objectives. High dps means you are ignoring both plus you don't kill your targets.
Tracer Legacy, The Red Eclipse.
Not reading colored text, it hurts my eyes. Sorry (unless it's a dev post)
L55:Sniper,Operative,Juggernaut,Assassin,Marauder, Powertech,Guardian,Commando,Scoundrel
to finish:Shadow(41),Sage(53),Merc(39). 29.07.2013

Kalfear
11.22.2012 , 06:44 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Solarenergy View Post
In under-50 warzones, gear matters a lot less than in the level 50 bracket.
^^^This in a nut shell

Oh the geared pre mades will shout from highest rock how skilled they are.

Its pure BS.

Lost count how many of the so called skilled players get farmed openly when things are balanced, yet act and post like they the GOAT when they roll over someone in recruit gear.

Basically anyone that uses the term L2P falls in above statement.

The pre 50 pvp actually isnt that bad. Gear still will make some difference (people twinking out the purple 49 gear as the quit warzones just before they end to avoid getting XP and hitting 50) but over all the bolster works reasonably well.

Its the post 50 where Gear is 50% of the equation.

I have war hero characters and elite war hero equiped characters and have stopped playing pvp at all in TOR

Either your farming under geared players (and its literally no fun or challenge) or your going up against the ranked rejects that run premades 24/7 in unranked WZs because they cant hack the challenge on equal footing (and if you do catch one of them alone they die pretty easy to be honest. They only excell when its 4 on 1 or 4 with gear advantage. Just no class losers really).

TOR PVP is about gear first and formost
numbers come in a close second
Hacking and exploits take a strong 3rd
tactics and skill are a distant fourth place

Thats just the sad truth of the matter and pay no attention to those patting themselves on back and exclaiming to all that will read about how great and skillfull they are.

Its all just smoke and gas
Housing brought me back
now add Paazaak, KotOR#1 swoop bike racing, and more flashpoints and planets

Hystorian
11.22.2012 , 06:44 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Juzzyx View Post
Gear does next to nothing, I lvled 2 of my toons from 10-49 only upgraded gear at 20 and 40 and played the biggest role for my team in most games. (if I didnt top DPS it's cuz I wasn't hitting the tank that got healed all game. I was actually killing people and having more downtime because I was running between people I was killing). Having level 20 gear at 39 is way worse than having any kind of average gear at 50 vs geared players.
LOL bolster system anyone? LOL
Get yourself to 50, put your recruit gear on and then post here.
TOFN - Viperus Legacy

Délilah - Marauder Liquored - Sorc Kamallia - Sin
S'orsha - Sentinel Säufer - Commando Arvanna - Guardian