Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Dual blade lightsaber VS Dual lightsabers

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Dual blade lightsaber VS Dual lightsabers

Vinjar
11.24.2012 , 01:50 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by oilfan View Post
The thing is with a double bladed lightsaber you have a physiological advantage because of the second blade because most people watch it and the primary blade. but in the words of Dark lord Kas'im weapons master of the sith acadamy in the times of darth Bane "The secret to a double sided lightsaber is that where ever the first blade is the other blade is on the exact opposite side. So if you know were one blade is you know were the other blade is"

I've been waiting for this. I think Kas'im also said the advantage of the dual wielder is you can attack from two angles at once where as with a saber staff wielder still only attacks from one angle.

GarfieldJL
11.24.2012 , 03:14 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by ZoeTuah View Post
After many duels with lightsaber props, I can confidently say that the double-bladed lightsaber offers no tangible advantage over a single saber, and could be very disadvantageous against dual lightsabers.

It must always be held close to the body to prevent cutting one's self, only one end can be effectively utilized for attack and defense at any given moment, and to flow into using the second blade it frees up the opponent's own saber for use.

What you end up with is a single lightsaber that must be held close at all times.
Any benefits would come from an opponent who doesn't understand this.
It probably depends on multiple factors, a double bladed saber still gives you the ability to use the full strength of both hands in a swing, two sabers does not.

Two sabers gives you two lines of attack but also lessens your defense from styles like Djem So, so they all have their good points and bad points.

LegendaryBlade
11.25.2012 , 05:19 AM | #23
As someone who is well in to both sports/competitive and classical swordsmanship I'm perfectly willing to say using only a single lightsaber is far superior to dual wielding. There is very rarely a good reason to dual wield two blades of the same length. When compared to the double sided staff though, that's a difficult question to answer. Personally, i'd probably never use either 'styles'. Single bladed saber with a custom grip (to be more practical) would be the best way to go.

Both double bladed and dual wielding are impractical and, honestly, very likely to get you killed against a trained martial swordsman. That said, the way they use lightsabers since the prequels come out is unrealistic and crazy enough that I guess it doesn't even really matter, lightsaber techniques are mostly rule-of-cool at this point. I always chop it up as useful because of a Jedis ability to see a second in the the future, because otherwise they are all more stage performers than anything else.

MasterMe
11.25.2012 , 07:00 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by LegendaryBlade View Post
As someone who is well in to both sports/competitive and classical swordsmanship I'm perfectly willing to say using only a single lightsaber is far superior to dual wielding. There is very rarely a good reason to dual wield two blades of the same length. When compared to the double sided staff though, that's a difficult question to answer. Personally, i'd probably never use either 'styles'. Single bladed saber with a custom grip (to be more practical) would be the best way to go.

Both double bladed and dual wielding are impractical and, honestly, very likely to get you killed against a trained martial swordsman. That said, the way they use lightsabers since the prequels come out is unrealistic and crazy enough that I guess it doesn't even really matter, lightsaber techniques are mostly rule-of-cool at this point. I always chop it up as useful because of a Jedis ability to see a second in the the future, because otherwise they are all more stage performers than anything else.
Right. I've got little experience with swing stuff around (aside from wacking kids with lightsabers when I was little) but I agree with what you've said. But you've got to remember several things:
1. Lightsaber blades don't weigh ANYTHING. So that's gonna make a difference
2. Anyone that does use dual or double-weild in Star Wars would have practiced with it a LOT
3. Star Wars isn't the real world. It's fake. With that in mind, it is canon that double or dual weilders can match with a single saber duelist in Star Wars.

xNYROx
11.25.2012 , 08:33 AM | #25
I think double-bladed light sabers got so popular because all of us kiddos though Darth Maul looked so cool. Fact is double-bladed restricts movement versatility but would also have more weight because of the larger hilt.

Overall:

Double-Bladed= great defense OR better for quick assassinations because of the power behind them

dual lightsabers= more versatility and quicker strikes which is why they are good for classes that are already strong.

LegendaryBlade
11.25.2012 , 09:33 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by MasterMe View Post
Right. I've got little experience with swing stuff around (aside from wacking kids with lightsabers when I was little) but I agree with what you've said. But you've got to remember several things:
1. Lightsaber blades don't weigh ANYTHING. So that's gonna make a difference
2. Anyone that does use dual or double-weild in Star Wars would have practiced with it a LOT
3. Star Wars isn't the real world. It's fake. With that in mind, it is canon that double or dual weilders can match with a single saber duelist in Star Wars.
1. That's really another call in favor of single weapons though. You have -far- more blade control with one sword in regards to double wielding. If anything, Luke had the right idea in the EU when his offhand saber was shorter, more like a sort of parrying dagger.

2. Anybody with a single saber would of practiced to the same extent.

3. I think I made that point in my own post, Star Wars is kind of rule of cool. If you watch the original trilogy though, in the few lightsaber battles they had it was very clear the actors had been taught good footwork and movement, it was a lot more believable than backflips.

As it is, the only thing that would stop a real martial swordsman from beating a jedi is their ability to see the future and react to things just before they happen. If HK is to be believed from KOTOR II, you can counteract that by having conflicting emotions and thoughts. Cognitive Dissonance somehow disrupts their abilities.

Anybody remember blaster jedis? What happened to those?

Bugsington
11.26.2012 , 10:12 AM | #27
If you wield a double-bladed lightsaber while being attacked from the front and shot at from behind, you would be in a tough spot compared to someone wielding two separate lightsabers.

BlznSmri
11.26.2012 , 11:32 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Bugsington View Post
If you wield a double-bladed lightsaber while being attacked from the front and shot at from behind, you would be in a tough spot compared to someone wielding two separate lightsabers.
Anyone attacked from in front and behind is in a a really tough spot, regardless of which weapon style you're using.
APOSTATES
Website | Recruitment | About Us
Jokerseven - Shadow | Ce'lia - Sentinel
Sentinel PvE Basics/ Marauder PvE Basics

MasterMe
11.26.2012 , 11:33 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by BlznSmri View Post
Anyone attacked from in front and behind is in a a really tough spot, regardless of which weapon style you're using.
Nah. Just run to the left or right and you're good.

BlznSmri
11.26.2012 , 12:29 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by MasterMe View Post
Nah. Just run to the left or right and you're good.
Well obviously lol, but those were the parameters given.
APOSTATES
Website | Recruitment | About Us
Jokerseven - Shadow | Ce'lia - Sentinel
Sentinel PvE Basics/ Marauder PvE Basics