Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

An in-depth look at: Force Powers- Sever Force

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
An in-depth look at: Force Powers- Sever Force

Aurbere
11.21.2012 , 07:57 PM | #1
"I imprison you in a wall of light. A fortress to block you from the Force."- Nomi Sunrider to Ulic Qel-Droma

The most powerful ability a Jedi could possibly use, the ability to sever a beings connection to the Force is an ancient technique that is only used under the rarest of circumstances. Jedi Master Odan-Urr speaks of the Sever Force ability in an ancient recording in the Tedryn Holocron...

When you feel the dark side energies turned against you, you must use your Jedi abilities to take power away from an opponent, rather than to inflict harm. This technique blinds your enemy to the Force with a wall of light, a permanent blockage if you so choose, rendering him unable to use Jedi powers. It is difficult. And it is the most devastating attack possible using the powers of the light side. To block a Jedi from the Force- even a Dark Jedi- is a terrible thing.

A powerful technique, to cut off an enemy from the touch of the Force is a terrible thing. The Force is like a sixth sense, and removing it would be like removing a beings ability to see or hear. Jedi that come to rely on the Force will find living without, for any period of time, difficult.

Sever Force, or Wall of Light as it has come to be known, blocks a Jedi's connection to the Force via a Wall of Light. This effectively ends the threat posed by the opponent. While the Wall of Light can be permanent, it is often not permanent. When the Jedi's connection to the Force returns, it is a sudden feeling as the Jedi feels a rush of emotion and immediately senses all that surrounds them. This can be overwhelming for a Jedi.

The most extreme case of Sever Force being used was when Jedi Meetra Surik unconsciously cut her own connection to the Force, to protect herself from being overwhelmed by the deaths of the countless Jedi around her as the Mass Shadow Generator killed Jedi and Mandalorians alike. So sudden was the severance that she became a wound in the Force. This was unknown to her, as she believed that the Jedi Council severed her connection to the Force.

Sever Force is an extreme form of punishment that the Jedi Council only uses as a last resort. The Wall of Light is the most powerful ability that the Light Side of the Force grants a Jedi, and should be used sparingly. All living creatures are connected to the Force, and to disrupt the connection of a Jedi is a terrible thing to do. Because of this, Sever Force should be used only in the most dire of circumstances, or when absolutely necessary.

I hope you enjoyed our look at Sever Force. Our next power, and probably last for now, is Shatterpoint.

If you have a topic you would like to see in the future, post them below or PM me.
Added Chapter 66 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

Slowpokeking
11.21.2012 , 08:18 PM | #2
Nihilus used it as well right?

Aurbere
11.21.2012 , 08:25 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
Actually, no. He's more of a black hole. He devours Force energy. I'm not exactly sure on the specifics, but I do believe that it is not Sever Force.

Edit: Nihilus used a Dark variation of Sever Force on Traya at the Trayus core, but his hunger is something else entirely.
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

Slowpokeking
11.21.2012 , 08:37 PM | #4
I think it's quite useful in battle, not sure why didn't the Sith use it.

Aurbere
11.21.2012 , 08:59 PM | #5
I think it's quite useful in battle, not sure why didn't the Sith use it.
Well it's called Wall of Light for a reason I guess. It blocks a Sith/Dark Jedi/Jedi's ability to use the Force by forming a Wall of Light to block the enemy's connection to the Force.

lokdron
11.22.2012 , 12:45 AM | #6
I do wonder what version of sever force that nihilus used to cut kreia off since it seems that sith have some variant of that skill.

Rayla_Felana
11.22.2012 , 03:51 AM | #7
Nihilus used a dark variant only seen that once I believe.

Surik, Kreia and Nomi all knew it to varying degrees, Surik was a natural and Vima Sunrider warned her of it's use, Kreia outright used it in cohesion with force drain to kill the masters on Dantooine, Nomi obviously used it on Qel-Droma and Surik used it on Traya.

Aurbere
11.22.2012 , 10:59 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Rayla_Felana View Post

Surik, Kreia and Nomi all knew it to varying degrees, Surik was a natural and Vima Sunrider warned her of it's use, Kreia outright used it in cohesion with force drain to kill the masters on Dantooine, Nomi obviously used it on Qel-Droma and Surik used it on Traya.
I think Nihilus using Sever Force shows that there are two variations of the ability: Sever Force and Wall of Light.

Obviously the Jedi have access to both, but Sith would only have access to the standard Sever Force.

Edit: At least that's how I see it.

Beniboybling
11.22.2012 , 01:06 PM | #9
Very interesting, this power in particular I wanted to know more about.
Quote: Originally Posted by Aurbere View Post
Actually, no. He's more of a black hole. He devours Force energy. I'm not exactly sure on the specifics, but I do believe that it is not Sever Force.
I believe what Darth Nihilius uses is an extreme version of force drain, although it is a Force ability in its own right used by ancient Sith but lost after the Great Hyperspace War. If you play darkside Meetra, this is the power (I believe) you use to kill the Jedi Masters and take their power.
Quote: Originally Posted by Rayla_Felana View Post

Surik? I wasn't aware of this. (Unless you just mean what she did at Malachor V - but that was more instinctive than deliberate) When does Surik use it against Kreia?

Rayla_Felana
11.22.2012 , 01:21 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
Surik? I wasn't aware of this. (Unless you just mean what she did at Malachor V - but that was more instinctive than deliberate) When does Surik use it against Kreia?
When she simultaneously cuts off Kreia's remaining hand and severs their force bond, it is why she has to resort to using a quite pathetic use of three lightsabers that basically fade in a few seconds.