Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

From Brute to Silly: the Life of Ald

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community > Fan Fiction
From Brute to Silly: the Life of Ald

irishfino
12.03.2012 , 09:15 PM | #31
Cross-post from SFC thread.
Subtle Shift

There was no defining the moment when things clicked back into place. Perhaps it was inevitable that things would come together. Perhaps there was effort involved. Perhaps it was both. The good Captain chose not to question it. They were finally in sync again after so long, no point in fussing over the tiny details.

“Hey, Captain Cowlick, Ald fixed dinner,” Vette announced over the com on the bridge.

He rolled his eyes and pressed a button to reply. “Thank you, Vette,” he said stiffly. “I will be there momentarily.”

The link clicked off. He finished up a few last minute calculations and sent off three missives. His duty completed for now, he headed to the conference room for dinner.

Ald was sitting at the head of the table. Vette sat closest to him then Pierce and Jaesa. Broonmark rounded up the other end of the table leaving Quinn three seats to choose from. Well, one seat. It seems his food was already served – how like Ald to serve his guests – and waiting for him across from Vette. He nodded politely to those gathered at the table as he took his seat. Pierce struck up a conversation about their last operation. It had been rather hairy. Three Jedi Masters and their Padawans versus the Wrath, his Apprentice, a very angry ball of murder with a sword, a wily dual-wielding Twi’lek, a bomb happy giant, and a medic with a deadly shot. Outnumbered and out-Forced, they first took care of the Padawans. Two of them went down rather easily with a few well-placed shots and concussive grenades. The last one was obviously close to becoming a full-fledged Knight. With Ald, Jaesa, and Broonmark busy fighting the three Masters, it was left to Vette, Quinn, and Pierce to take care of the last Padawan.

“That one went down hard, yeah?” Pierce grumbled between bites.

“Yeah he did,” Vette agreed. She took a long swig from her glass. “He deflected that grenade late on purpose, too.”

“Jedi are jerks,” Pierce chuckled.

“Nearly took a grenade to the face, but thanks to the good Captain here,” Vette gestured with her fork toward Quinn, “I made it out alive.”

“I was doing my duty,” Quinn said stiffly.

“Yeah, well, my booty thanks you for doing your duty,” Vette said with a grin.

Quinn nodded and returned his attention back to his meal. He was never one for conversation over meals. One would starve in the military if they stopped to chat. Vette tsked, but turned her attention elsewhere. He wasn’t sure when it happened or even why, but he decided not to sweat the small details. They were finally back in sync after the fallout and that meant she and Ald were on speaking terms again. And that thought pleased him more than anything else.
I'll probably die if you group with me, but I'll go out with both lightsabers drawn stabbing someone in the face. Probably you, but it's cool. Forever Shenanigans!!

irishfino
12.04.2012 , 12:19 AM | #32
A Father's Rage, A Father's Love

When the Jedi sliced his torso in an X pattern, he knew the end was near. He collapsed to one knee, his arms wrapped around himself in a bid to keep his insides where they belonged: inside. He stared up at the Jedi, his face serene. He wondered, briefly, if the Jedi was disturbed by his calm in the face of certain death. He watched the Jedi raise his sabers to finish him off then he closed his eyes.

“For the Empire,” he murmured quietly.

He heard the sabers slice through the air and then he heard something rather unexpected. It was a charging Pierce, gunning straight for the attacking Jedi. The Jedi wasn’t expecting this, no one was, and, for a brief moment, all fighting stopped as Pierce rampaged, his battle cry echoing harshly against the walls.

Pierce took the Jedi down and pummeled him about the head until he finally stopped moving. Four down, two to go. Pierce turned to Quinn in time to see the Captain fall to his side and stay there. He wasn’t medically inclined and the good Captain would probably tell him to go help with the remaining Jedi. He did just that, jumping into the fray, rifle drawn, bolts flying with purpose.

Vette looked over at Quinn from her position on the ground. He had shoved her there and covered her with his own body when that Padawan deflected a grenade toward her face. He took the brunt of the explosion, but got up to fight the Padawan off anyway. He grabbed two knives from somewhere on his person and took up a stance she had seen Ald use as his main saber form. Juyo, if she remembered correctly, which she might not considering she nearly took a grenade to the face.

She crawled to Quinn and moved him onto his back. He was still breathing, but only just. His face was a few shades too pale and she could see his insides. Blech.

“You still conscious?” she asked quietly.

He exhaled roughly, licked his lips, and focused his eyes on her. “Yes.”

“Are you in pain?”

“No,” he rasped. “I am going numb.”

“That’s – that’s probably bad, right?”

He tried to chuckle, but ended up coughing and gasping for breath.

“Don’t – don’t talk. Just… you’ll be alright,” she said anxiously.

“I thought dying would hurt more. It’s nice to be wrong.”

Vette frowned at him then busied herself with searching his person for his medical supplies. When he didn’t reprimand her for the violation upon his person, something inside her sank. She quickly found the supplies and got to work. She wouldn’t look at his face while she worked. Were his eyes closed? Was he actually in pain? She didn’t want to find out. It would distract her. Distract her from helping a man who had single-handedly ruined things between herself and Ald. He only needed to come back and be remorseful and everything was over. She shook her head. Kolto. Kolto, stiches, gauze. Reconnect this here. Focus on helping. Focus on healing. Just focus.

She bought him time. Much needed time. She wasn’t sure how long, but she knew one thing: he would want the mission completed no matter what. When the other two Jedi were defeated, she ran to the group and told them about Quinn. She was rather surprised to hear Pierce grumble a gruff “No man left behind” before he made his way to Quinn and picked the smaller man up. In fact, they were all rather surprised.

“A real soldier carries the wounded with them to keep them protected,” Pierce grunted. He told Jaesa to call for a MedEvac to arrive just as they finished with business here. “Twenty minutes tops.”

The rest of the group nodded in agreement then walked in unison to their objective. They met weak resistance until they came to the end of the hall. There sat a small child, pureblood, scared and shaking. Taken by the Jedi for converting. For the greater good indeed. When she spotted Ald, a fellow pureblood, she ran to him and clutched him around the knees. Ald swept the small girl into his arms then turned and exited the building.

“Thank you, papa,” the small girl said quietly into his shoulder.

“Any father would do the same, Aldra,” Ald said quietly. “Any father would do the same.”

Notes:

Spoiler
I'll probably die if you group with me, but I'll go out with both lightsabers drawn stabbing someone in the face. Probably you, but it's cool. Forever Shenanigans!!

MilaniGrey
12.04.2012 , 01:04 AM | #33
D'aaaaaw!
The Islingr LegacyShatter the Darkness
Astaron, Narithia, Xalkory, Áilleacht
The Ebon Hawk Server
Forever Shenanigans!

Vesaniae
12.04.2012 , 08:00 AM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by MilaniGrey View Post
D'aaaaaw!
Pretty much this.
Force Lightning: The solution to every problem. Every. Problem.
Afterimages * Walking Penumbral * Like Moths to the Flame
Forever Shenanigans!

irishfino
12.04.2012 , 10:16 PM | #35
D'aaaaaw!
Aldra is pretty adorable. Expect to see more of her in the future!

Quote: Originally Posted by Vesaniae View Post
Pretty much this.
Aldra wins most adorable Ald babies contests. As she's the only one I've actually written about... well, the winner is rather clear.

irishfino
12.04.2012 , 10:17 PM | #36
Quinn... Your Face...

The face of Malavai Quinn was quite easy to spot by the keen observer. Daresay it was the second most common face in the Galaxy. Ald noticed it nearly everywhere they went since the man had joined his crew. He wasn’t obsessing, surely. It was just something he noticed. When he was gifted with his Fury, suddenly, the damn thing was everywhere. Surely it had been around before, he just didn’t pay much mind until he had one. The same had to hold true for the Captain. The more faces he saw with that exact same structure, the more curious he became until he could hold in his query no longer. He decided to do so at their weekly Switch Clothes and Muck About Cantinas nights.

They sat down at a table and ordered a couple of drinks. Cantina was slow tonight, but sure to pick up. Could lead to shenanigans. Perhaps not.

“Captain,” Ald started quietly. Quinn didn’t respond right away, so he cleared his throat and tried again. “Captain, I have a question for you.”

To his credit, the Captain kept his face mostly blank. Were it not for a small twitch by his eyebrow, his utter dread at being asked personal questions may very well have stayed hidden. He shifted in his seat a tad then inclined his head. I am ready, was the signal though the sentiment did not reach his mind.

“I’ve noticed your face is quite common in the Galaxy. Any reason for that?” Ald asked.

“Is it? I’ve never noticed,” the Captain replied a little too quickly.

“No need to lie. What are you trying to hide?” Ald teased. “Do you have magnificent prowess in the bedroom? Are you secretly a stud, a ladies man, perhaps?”

The Captain face-palmed then straightened and stared at Ald with his best blank face. “There is a repository that holds certain genetic materials for those wishing to create a superior specimen of Imperial,” he replied stiffly.

“You donated your sp-” Quinn’s suddenly harsh look made Ald stop and edit himself. “-genetic material to a bank!?” Ald finished incredulously.

“Yes.”

The good Captain took a long, heavy drag of his drink. There wasn’t enough alcohol in the Galaxy to get rid of this weird feeling roiling in his gut.

“Did you need the money?” Ald asked seriously. “I hear officers don’t make much when they first start.”

The Captain gaped at him for a moment. Definitely not enough alcohol. He set down his drink and steepled his fingers on the table.

“While it is true officer stipends are frightfully inadequate during the beginning of their career, that was never my reasoning for it. It was asked of me and I did so,” the Captain said stiffly.

“Ever run into one of the – uh – results?”

“I’ve seen a few familiar faces, but I have never encountered a child created by those means, no.”

“That implies you found one made the normal way,” Ald said smartly.

Quinn sighed and picked up his drink. In two pitifully small gulps, he finished the drink. He summoned the droid for more and down another one and a half before breaking the stretching silence.

“I have a son,” Quinn said at last.

“Really?” asked Ald.

“Yes.”

“How often do you see him?”

“Often enough!” Quinn snapped.

“Sore subject?” Ald asked gently.

“Yes,” was the gruff reply.

Ald changed the subject and was able to draw the Captain into a debate about the worth of Huttball. Their conversation went late into the night with a few topic changes. The Captain was definitely a bit more relaxed with a few drinks in him, but he was still on high alert. It was an interesting balancing act to witness first hand.

Notes:

Spoiler

MilaniGrey
12.04.2012 , 11:23 PM | #37
He's here! He's there! He's everywhere!
The Islingr LegacyShatter the Darkness
Astaron, Narithia, Xalkory, Áilleacht
The Ebon Hawk Server
Forever Shenanigans!

Tatile
12.05.2012 , 02:30 AM | #38
Many Quinns is not necessarily a bad thing, if one can round a few up for... ah... entertainment purposes ^.~

irishfino
12.09.2012 , 05:41 PM | #39
He's here! He's there! He's everywhere!
Ceiling Quinn is watching you read fic.

Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
Many Quinns is not necessarily a bad thing, if one can round a few up for... ah... entertainment purposes ^.~
Have ALL THE QUINNS!

Thanks for reading!

irishfino
12.09.2012 , 05:44 PM | #40
The Ledger

Ald had made dinner once again. It was becoming habit and it was nice to sit down and talk with his people, even if his people included a smart-mouthed Twi’lek and a starched and proper officer.

“My Lord, I’ve been looking over our finances lately,” Quinn started stiffly.

“Yes?” Ald asked.

“You spend an inordinate amount of money on removing modifications from your armor. I feel that is an unnecessary expenditure.”

Vette laughed then tried to cover it up with a cough then decided that laughing was far easier and settled on laughing. Quinn sneered at her briefly.

“I like wearing a certain style of armor, Captain,” said Ald.

“That is all well and good my Lord, but you are burning through cash quite quickly. You’ve started picking up missions from the randoms we encounter just for the money. It isn't healthy my Lord. We need to balance the budget, starting with your penchant for customizing a certain set of armor.”

“This armor was given to me by my first master,” Ald said quietly.

“Sentimental value aside, taking out the modifications to put them in your Imperial uniform when we head to the Cantina - to ‘troll the locals’ I believe was the phrase - it costs money. And then you take them out again and replace them. Leaving wear and tear aside, this is expensive. Unless you would like to cut a few cooked meals from the roster, I cannot find another way to fund our main objective,” Quinn said stiffly.

“How many meals?”

“All of them. We’d be eating nothing, but ration bars and drinking nothing, but water. We do need to fuel and maintain the starship, my Lord. These modification costs will ruin us.”

Ald slouched in his seat and pouted, but Quinn’s face was completely impassive.

“Fine,” Ald said reluctantly.

“Very good, my Lord. As it is, I do have a bit of personal funds saved up. We could purchase new modifications for your Imperial uniform, ones you won’t need to remove ever again,” Quinn said helpfully.

Ald perked up and grinned. He knew the stiff bastard loved their Cantina nights.

“I trust you to handle this matter, Captain,” Ald said, taking a judicious bite of food.

“Actually, I was going to have Vette balance the budget,” Quinn said evenly.

Ald nearly choked. Vette did choke. Ald reached over and slapped her back a few times.

“What?” Vette asked hoarsely.

“Kidding, of course,” Quinn said blandly.

“Of course,” Vette said, rolling her eyes.

Ald shook his head. “I have complete confidence you will handle this accordingly, Captain.”

“Your confidence is not misplaced, my Lord.”

Ald shook his head again and took a swig from his drink. Someone would die at Quinn’s hands if he continued joking like that.