Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

From Brute to Silly: the Life of Ald

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content > Fan Fiction
From Brute to Silly: the Life of Ald

irishfino
01.23.2013 , 04:31 AM | #121
Containing the Beast

Ald was up and moving a day later, still feverish and tired, but rather insistent that he move. That he stand. That he breathe. He was awake. He could tell. When he reached to the Force it reached back, circling first around his toes, then his ankles, his knees, his thighs, his waist, his fingers, his wrists, his elbows, his chest and shoulders, then, at long last, his head. It gave him clarity. It gave him focus. It gave him reason to keep pushing. Malavai, however, was still out of sorts and still acting strangely. He wondered if the changes he saw in Malavai would be permanent. He wondered if they could be lessened. He wondered if they could be dealt with. For him, Ald would have turned into a great slavering beast, insatiable in its bloodlust and brutality. Perhaps he would have become a Nekghoul due to his sensitivity. It didn’t matter now, not when Malavai was on the mend. Not when Malavai was here, uncaged and in control. Not when the chaos and uncertainty Vette had both wittingly and unwittingly unleashed was finally dulling to a scuffle.

Vette.

That foul creature. That poor fool. He hadn’t had the time to think, to grieve, to rage. He had been too focused on keeping Malavai alive to bother entertaining such morbid thoughts. Thoughts of death. Thoughts of rage. Thoughts of loss. He hated her. He hated what she had become. He hated that he drove her to such extremes. He hated losing her. She had been with him the longest. Through her chirping and annoyances, she always had his back. She loved him. Perhaps the timing had simply been off. He was fresh from his trials, eager to prove himself in the greater galaxy. Eager to serve the Sith and the Imperials, to bring some sort of harmony between the two castes. And, if he were brutally honest, she really wasn’t his type. She was mouthy and sarcastic, charming in her own way, but it was all a mask to hide from whatever pained her. Still, he considered her a close friend and confidant. It was his undoing. But he needed the balance, he needed her and, in his weakness, he told her everything. In his weakness, he held her close and whispered sweet nothings into her ear until she was putty in his arms. In his weakness, he took her into his bed and claimed her for himself. In his weakness, he failed.

Ald rolled from the dingy cot he was lying on and stood, stretching his muscles and rolling his joints as he walked to what could be called a living area. He never paid much attention to the details of this room. He would blame his fever were it not for the fact that he simply didn’t care about anything, but Malavai. The man was by his side the moment he entered the room. He was admonishing him about something. Getting out of bed too soon, getting out of bed while feverish, getting out of bed period. He chuckled as Malavai led him to a chair and helped him sit down. He couldn’t help the goofy grin spreading across his face nor could he hide the love in his eyes. Malavai blushed while continuing his speech on properly caring for a sick Sith Lord, which included staying in bed and no activities, don’t even ask, I know you would. He laughed quietly. Malavai knew him so well. He loved him. So very, very much.

“-I love you, Ald, but you are my patient right now and I do not make exceptions, are we clear?” Malavai asked stiffly.

Ald blinked then grinned. “I tuned you out until I heard ‘I love you’,” he said lightly.

Malavai face palmed. “My Lord,” he paused and sighed. “Very well. I will repeat myself. I need you to stay in bed unless you are getting up to relieve yourself. Aldriana is here if you need assistance. Just shout and she will come. You need to rest and stay in bed. Meals will be brought to you, but you must stay in bed.” He shook his head. “Please, stay in bed. I will return shortly.”

“Where are you going?” Ald asked.

“Hunting,” Malavai stated simply.

Ald frowned. “I want to come.”

“You are too sick and this – Ald you – let me start over.” Malavai closed his eyes for a moment and exhaled. When he felt calm enough, he opened his eyes and focused his stare on Ald. “Doctor Lokin knows what being a Rakghoul and being a man entails. While I am unlikely to develop his tendency to turn into a hulking beast, there are still… side-effects to nearly becoming one. You have already done so much for me. Please, please rest.”

“For you,” Ald said quietly.

“For both of us,” Malavai said firmly. “I will return shortly.”

“Be careful.”

“I always am, my Lord.”

Hunting with Lokin had been a strangely enlightening experience. The man knew Taris well and, for the most part, the Rakghoul left him alone. Lokin, in his human form, was very mild mannered and calm. In his Rakghoul form, while controlled, he was a monster. He was all claws and teeth and howling as he chased and terrorized his prey. Malavai was mesmerized. And scared. Is this what he would have become? This – this hulking monstrosity ruled by instinct and primal rage. He watched as Lokin tore into a Nexu and was dismayed by the splattering of blood so close to his person. Until he smelled it. His nostrils flared as the stench of blood and death filled the air surrounding him. He shuddered and took a step forward. He wanted to kill. He wanted to tear, to shred. To devour. He felt different. He could feel the pulse of the planet in his feet. He could feel his blood pumping to every extremity. He could hear his synapses firing. He felt different. He felt alive. He was no longer a reluctant participant in the hunt. He was unleashed. More beast than man. More man than most. He gave in to instinct, to desire. To the thrill of the hunt. And it satisfied him. Wholly.

Ald could smell the blood on him when he returned. It was no surprise, really. He was covered from head to toe in blood and gore from his prey. It was a Nexu when the hunt started, it was a smear of crushed bones and flayed meat by the end of it. He seemed more at home covered in blood with his hunger sated than he ever had reviewing census data.

“How did your hunt go?” Ald asked the bloodied man before him.

“Quite well, my Lord,” Malavai replied.

“You seem satisfied.”

“I am, though a shower wouldn’t be remiss.”

“Did it help?” Ald asked quietly.

“Immensely, my Lord,” Malavai replied, a slight shudder in his voice. “Immensely.”

“I’m glad.”

Malavai bowed slightly. “I will return in a few moments, my Lord. The desire to make myself presentable to polite company is overwhelming.”

“Go, then. We can talk when you return,” Ald said with a smile.

“As you decree, my Lord.”

When Ald was sure he was alone, he jumped from his seat and ran to his supply pack. He pulled out his datapad then ran back to his seat before anyone noticed. The extra effort tired him, but it would be worth it once he had everything arranged. He had never doubted his purpose in life, but, for the first time in a long time, he was happy he had been more brute than man for a significant portion of his life. The rewards had been boundless and, even now, he could draw upon his experiences to help those around him.

He couldn’t wait to be on the hunt again. And with Malavai in tow, nothing would stop them. He was only sad he couldn’t be more excited. As his lids grew heavy, he smiled. Things could only move forward from here.

Notes:

Spoiler
I'll probably die if you group with me, but I'll go out with both lightsabers drawn stabbing someone in the face. Probably you, but it's cool. Forever Shenanigans!!

Vesaniae
01.23.2013 , 09:40 AM | #122
Love the paragraph about Vette. There's a lot of emotion there, and it comes across really well.
Force Lightning: The solution to every problem. Every. Problem.
Afterimages * Walking Penumbral * Like Moths to the Flame
Forever Shenanigans!

iamthehoyden
01.23.2013 , 03:36 PM | #123
I agree with Ves, that paragraph on Vette was good. He had to deal with that eventually (and may yet again in the future) - his role in her...trying to come up with the right word...I'd say fall to the dark side if she were Force-sensitive, ah well, let's go with that...fall to the dark side.
aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?
---------------
Fan Fiction: My Name is Solomon Crae The Man in the Box

Tatile
01.23.2013 , 03:40 PM | #124
Ald at some point has to address the fact that he used her, both before and after Quinn, without regard to her feelings or state of mind.

Vette suffered from Quinn's betrayal not only for herself but for Ald as well. It's a shame, really. Ald comes across as devoutly selfless to Quinn, but in a way that sacrifice is a selfishness in itself.

irishfino
01.23.2013 , 11:10 PM | #125
Quote: Originally Posted by Vesaniae View Post
Love the paragraph about Vette. There's a lot of emotion there, and it comes across really well.
Why thank you! Ald is surprisingly emotional. Ya know, for a Sith Lord, lol.

Quote: Originally Posted by iamthehoyden View Post
I agree with Ves, that paragraph on Vette was good. He had to deal with that eventually (and may yet again in the future) - his role in her...trying to come up with the right word...I'd say fall to the dark side if she were Force-sensitive, ah well, let's go with that...fall to the dark side.
He still has a lot to deal with when it comes to Vette and what they did to each other: him using her and her striking out at what he loved. In the end, they were both very Sith-y.

Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
Ald at some point has to address the fact that he used her, both before and after Quinn, without regard to her feelings or state of mind.

Vette suffered from Quinn's betrayal not only for herself but for Ald as well. It's a shame, really. Ald comes across as devoutly selfless to Quinn, but in a way that sacrifice is a selfishness in itself.
Ald knows and will get a hand from a rather unlikely candidate when dealing with his internal fallout.

Thanks for reading everyone!!
I'll probably die if you group with me, but I'll go out with both lightsabers drawn stabbing someone in the face. Probably you, but it's cool. Forever Shenanigans!!

irishfino
01.23.2013 , 11:12 PM | #126
What You Learn Now That It’s Over...

“Wake him up!” a voice shouted in through the fog in his mind. Where was he? He could smell chemicals and smoke and… and blood? Something jabbed him in the neck. His skin puckered and burned as he was injected with something.

“Why isn’t he waking up!?” the voice demanded. It – it was female. Jaesa? No, too squeaky. Vette. It was Vette. Goddammit, it was Vette!

“You nearly overdosed him, Twi’lek,” a male voice spat. He was close. In – in front of him. Pierce? No. No, too stiff. Stiff. Malavai. F**k. F**k, f**k, f**k, f**k, f**k.

He struggled against the heaviness that had settled in each limb, in his head, in his mind. He willed his eyes to open. He pulled and tugged and struggled trying to wake himself from this nightmare.

“Do it, Broonie,” Vette spat viciously. “Do it and cleanse the clan!”

A grunt. A splatter of warmth. His eyes finally opened to the scene in front of him. Malavai skewered, Broonmark behind him, Vette just to the right of Broonmark. Malavai met his eyes for a brief moment until the vibrosword was torn from his chest. He sank to his knees, tried to speak, tried to gasp and coughed up blood instead. Then he fell. He fell to his side and stayed there. Vette laughed.

“There it is,” she whispered cruelly, “there’s the pain of separation. The pain of having someone ripped from you in front of your very eyes and there wasn’t a damn thing you could do about it. How does it feel, Ald?” She stepped forward and grinned evilly. “Tell me, baby, how does it feel?”

She ran the back of her hand down his cheek, smearing Malavai’s blood. Rage. He struggled against the bonds, reached to the Force and came up empty. Helpless. He howled at Vette as he struggled. Then a click, a clank, the sound of metal hitting metal. Freedom. He rocketed from the chair, screaming with rage, fists flying, the Force suffusing every muscle in his body.

“Wake up,” a voice insisted through the rage, the grief, the haze. “You’re dreaming, my Lord. Wake up.”

Ald slowly opened his eyes and squinted. His vision was hazy and the face of whoever was hovering over his head wobbled to and fro. Where was he? Who was this?

“There you are,” the voice piped happily. A male. He flashed a penlight in each of Ald’s eyes. “Your fever peaked. We had to move you to a different facility with more equipment and help on hand.”

“Lokin?”

“Got it in one!” Lokin said jovially. “And, before you ask, your Captain is perfectly fine. I believe he’s tying up some loose ends with your apprentice and the Lieutenant. Said he’d be back this evening when his mission was complete.”

“Wake me when he returns,” Ald said quietly.

“Of course. Get some rest, lad.”

“You seem unsettled, my Lord,” Malavai said quietly. He had returned an hour ago, but Ald remained silent after greeting him. The silence bothered him. He could tell Ald was thinking and he didn’t want to interrupt that, but something told him to pry. Well, not pry, but ask nicely. By not asking specifically and hoping Ald would open up.

“I had a dream while you were gone,” Ald murmured quietly. His face pinched with rage before his expression went lax. “Or experienced a memory.”

“I am here if you need me, my Lord.”

“Thank the stars for that mercy,” Ald whispered hoarsely. “We were… we were back on the transport. Vette was there and… twisted with rage and grief. I was bound. In a chair. You were – she had Broonmark – and the blood – then you fell and I screamed. She mocked me. Rubbed your blood into my cheek. Then I was free and she was dead and Broonmark was dead and you were somewhere and I woke up. I woke up and you weren’t here.”

“I see,” Malavai said quietly. “I wasn’t sure if you would remember what happened or not. She drugged you quite heavily, very nearly killed you with that alone. She also drugged the Lieutenant, but not quite as heavily. I’m not one hundred percent sure on how he did it in his drugged state, but he managed to slip me the remote for your cuffs.” He paused and swallowed roughly. “I – I knew what she was going to do. I hoped I would have the chance to free you. And to see you… one last time. I fully expected to die. I suppose the universe had other plans.”

“It never should have come to that,” Ald said fiercely. “I should have killed that foul creature the first chance I had.”

Malavai tilted his head and considered Ald for a few long moments before speaking again.

“No, my Lord,” Malavai said gently. “There are reasons you didn’t to begin with. I did not like Vette, at all, but, in the end, I understood her. I understood her feelings for you and I understood the desire to do anything to be with the one she loved. I left before and things were fine. Things got better for her. Were I to leave again, no matter the means, it made sense to her that things would return to the way they were when I left the first time. She was desperate and grieving and I was all too real an obstacle between the two of you. She was… pitiable.”

“I used her,” Ald said thickly. “I used her and threw her away when I was finished with her. I took – I took everything from her.”

“You are Sith, it is to be expected.”

“I was different.”

“Far be it from me to judge those in a higher station,” Malavai said stiffly.

“Do it. Do it as harshly as possible,” Ald said quietly.

Malavai sighed. He didn’t want to do this, but he knew Ald wouldn’t let up. He rose from his chair and went to the window. He placed his palms on the window sill, leaned in, and stared at the vegetation reclaiming the bombed out buildings and toxic marshes.

“You are different, my Lord,” Malavai said firmly. “That doesn’t mean you are not still Sith. Your situation was a difficult one. You had enemies to destroy, your emotional state was questionable, and you were… weakened by my leaving. We made our decisions without regard for those who would be affected by our selfish acts of need. I left for many reasons, but they all pale in comparison to the sheer amount of shame bearing down on me. I had to get away. In my selfishness, I put you in such a position.” He paused and turned to Ald, looking at him in profile. “In your selfishness, you used Vette to balance yourself. You knew she loved you. You knew you couldn’t fully return her affections, but you went along with it for the benefits she brought with her. She knew you never could. You never would. She told me as much.” He turned back to the window and straightened his back. “She made sure I knew how much it hurt. In the end, I pitied her.”

Ald was silent. He didn’t know what to say or what to think, if anything at all. He had warped her. He had knowingly used her for his own ends and was honestly surprised when it blew up in his face. He sacrificed her upon the altar of his selfish needs and desires. He indulged her fantasy then turned her away when the person he truly desired returned. He was a terrible creature. He was Sith. He was a brute.

Hot tears ran down his cheeks. Now he could grieve. He wasn’t sure when Malavai moved from the window to the bed to embrace him, but he was more than glad when Malavai's warm, strong arms swept him into a loving embrace. His shoulders shook silently. Sith Lords didn’t cry. Beasts didn’t cry. Brutes didn’t cry. But Ald did.

And it helped.

Notes:

Spoiler

iamthehoyden
01.24.2013 , 01:29 PM | #127
Bravo Quinn (gah, these words, they are strange) for recognizing the selfishness of both of their actions. There were reaons it happened, but that doesn't make it right. So guilt and remorse is very much needed. Well done. (Ok, get this Quinn-fanclub sticker off me, I am not that far gone yet!)
aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?
---------------
Fan Fiction: My Name is Solomon Crae The Man in the Box

Vesaniae
01.24.2013 , 01:38 PM | #128
(Ok, get this Quinn-fanclub sticker off me, I am not that far gone yet!)
*hides Quinn Apologist t-shirt behind her back, looking disappointed*

I liked this latest entry--oh, who am I kidding, I've liked all the entries. It was interesting to see Quinn being the voice of truth, so to speak. It'll be even more interesting to see how Ald deals with all of this emotional turmoil in the future.
Force Lightning: The solution to every problem. Every. Problem.
Afterimages * Walking Penumbral * Like Moths to the Flame
Forever Shenanigans!

irishfino
01.24.2013 , 07:44 PM | #129
Bravo Quinn (gah, these words, they are strange) for recognizing the selfishness of both of their actions. There were reasons it happened, but that doesn't make it right. So guilt and remorse is very much needed. Well done. (Ok, get this Quinn-fanclub sticker off me, I am not that far gone yet!)
[puts down the Quinn sash and hides the badges; coughs] Anyway... Quinn is a very brilliant tactician. Given the right data he can give out an accurate assessment even if it means slapping Ald in the feels a little bit. There's still much to deal with when it comes to Vette and what happened, but, ah, Quinn's a bit hard pressed to care at the moment... you'll see why. [giggles]

Quote: Originally Posted by Vesaniae View Post
*hides Quinn Apologist t-shirt behind her back, looking disappointed*

I liked this latest entry--oh, who am I kidding, I've liked all the entries. It was interesting to see Quinn being the voice of truth, so to speak. It'll be even more interesting to see how Ald deals with all of this emotional turmoil in the future.
Entry love! That sounds naughty! XD. I imagine Quinn tears down people's feels for fun. See: Jillins. [snickers] Frothing at the mouth, indeed.

Thanks for reading everyone!!

irishfino
01.24.2013 , 07:46 PM | #130
A Different Kind of Hunger

Ald's fever broke two days later. Malavai rarely left his side and, when he did, Lokin was there chattering away about Malavai’s condition and the progress he was making. He was glad there was progress in such a short amount of time, but that meant he would plateau sooner rather than later. He wanted Malavai to return to his prior form. To be normal. To be sharp and cool and calculating. He was a selfish creature and he couldn’t stop himself. Memories of Vette haunted his dreams, her ghost stalked his waking hours. He had used her and he felt guilty. He was still Sith, wasn’t he? Sith didn’t feel guilt, but he was different. Until he used Vette for his own ends. He was no better than Baras, using people then throwing them away as soon as he was done. Baras. If not for him, he would not have come this far. If not for him, Malavai would have stayed. If not for him – no. This was his own doing. He didn’t want to think about this anymore, but he couldn’t pretend nothing happened. The results were right in front of him. He was laid up in a hospital bed while Malavai was – changed. He was different. He was still Malavai, but there was a new, animalistic element to him that he couldn’t suppress. He prided himself on his control and now – now he was off-kilter. There were times when he would stare. Just… stare at whatever crossed his path. He was tearing them down, examining them in his mind for weaknesses. He was hunting. Even here, even now he was on the hunt. It was unnerving, to say the least.

When a staff member entered the room to check on Ald, Malavai moved from his chair to the window. He stood at parade rest and waited for them to leave. It always took too long. It didn’t matter if it was a head popping in for a few seconds or someone staying for a few minutes to chat. It was too long. It put him on edge and he couldn’t figure out why. Or, rather, he ignored why. It sickened him to even think about it. He didn’t need it to survive. He wasn’t a beast. He was a man. He was a man, dammit, and he would not change. But he had. He had changed and he needed to come to terms with that, but he couldn’t. It was improper. It was unrefined. It was dirty. But it felt so good. So, so good. The thrill of the hunt, of the kill. The splattering of blood upon his face, warm and thick. Fresh flesh. He was hungry. It sickened him.

The staff member finally left after what seemed like ages. Malavai moved from the window, rotated his chair, and sat down. It was unlikely Ald would notice, he was in his own world, but no one needed to see him like this. No one needed to see him so desperate. No one needed to watch him devour raw meat with a joyful vigor that made him cringe after. Even still his hunger went unsated. Oh, he tried the meat, he really did. But it only seemed to make matters worse. It invigorated him and he hated the effects on his body. He tried to relieve the pressure on his own. Honestly, that rarely worked at the best of times. It was wholly unsatisfactory now. He ground his teeth and growled quietly. And that! That – that frustration, that growling. That wasn’t him. That wasn’t him on any level! He couldn’t help himself and growled again.

“I can hear you growling, Malavai,” Ald said calmly.

“It’s nothing, my Lord,” Malavai replied stiffly.

“I can feel your tension through the Force.”

Malavai sighed. “It’s these… changes, my Lord.” He rose from the chair and approached the bed. “I have prided myself on my control. I’m sure it’s preferable to death or fully transforming, but I… cannot reconcile this new side of my bubbling personality.”

Ald smiled in spite of himself. Malavai’s face relaxed slightly.

“I find myself struggling with this new part of myself. There are… primal desires I am not used to dealing with.”

“Like what?”

“The desire to stalk prey and kill it. And… other desires.” He rolled his tongue around the word other. It sent a shiver down Ald’s spine.

“I don’t think they’ll come to bother me for a few hours.”

“Only a few?” Malavai asked lowly. Another shiver. “It will have to do, I suppose.”