Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Odd Launcher crash

James_four
11.20.2012 , 01:35 PM | #1
I have this rather odd and interesting crash. It has been going on for the past week or so maybe longer.

Problem: The Launcher crashes after I type in my password and hit the login button. The odd thing is that it does this every other time I log in. If the previous launch was successful the launcher will crash. If the previous launch produced a crash then I know that the login will be successful. Weird.

Solutions Tried: I have run the fix launcher and run chkdsk.

Hardware:
Windows XP SP3 Dual Core
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 550 GTX Ti

Not sure if you need anything else in the way of system data.

Thanks.

yenjidan
11.21.2012 , 11:52 AM | #2
Same exact issue here. Crashes every other time, like clockwork.

Packetdancer
11.21.2012 , 12:07 PM | #3
What's the message that appears with the crash? (Or does the launcher just vanish?)
Pahke Stardancer (Jedi Sentinel, Save Taris)
Writer, photographer, software engineer, GAMER.

James_four
11.21.2012 , 12:13 PM | #4
What sort of message are you referring to? There is the typical message saying that the program needs to close and asking if I would like to send the info to microsoft.

fourthx
11.21.2012 , 12:15 PM | #5
Same issue here, started the day 1.5 launched. I've repaired the launcher blah blah already.

Packetdancer
11.21.2012 , 04:53 PM | #6
Ah, so just the Windows 'Fatal Exception' dialog. Yeah, that's not a particularly helpful error dialog, I admit. You can get more information on that from the Windows Error Reporting log tool, if you want; under Windows 7 you go to Control Panel, search for 'Problem Report' and then pick 'View all Problem Reports' and find the SWTOR launcher entries. That might at least help track down what exactly is crashing (whether the actual launcher.exe, or something in .NET, or whatever).

Alternatively, you can look at the launcher logs in the 'logs' directory under your SWTOR installation, in case there's anything useful there... but I kind of suspect there won't be.

James_four
11.21.2012 , 10:40 PM | #7
I have Windows XP SP3. In the logs there is a log for every day and the logs seem rather long or at least the latest one which I just looked at was. Is there something in particular in the log files I should look for?

Thanks for your help by the way.

P.S. I suspect Bioware is already aware of this issue and is working on it. If not this issue is not hindering my game play all that much, but it would be nice to figure out what is going on.

KristianBurke
11.21.2012 , 11:49 PM | #8
I've got the EXACT same issue. Also Windows XP SP3, and also started with 1.5. Also repaired the installation but still crashes.

I also get the random crash-to-desktop while playing, but this seems like something else, especially since Windows gives the error window for this launcher crash and not the other.

Packetdancer
11.22.2012 , 12:58 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by James_four View Post
I have Windows XP SP3. In the logs there is a log for every day and the logs seem rather long or at least the latest one which I just looked at was. Is there something in particular in the log files I should look for?
The main things you'll want to look at are the 'Problem Event Name' and the 'Problem Signature XX' lines, if you're looking at the Windows Error Reporter. The event name will say what the actual fault was (for instance, 'APPCRASH' for the app itself crashing, or 'BEX' for a Buffer Overflow Exception, or 'CLR20r3' meaning that .NET has coughed up a hairball), while the signature will record any basic information the system could gather.

If you're looking at the SWTOR launcher logs, you'll probably just want to open the log right after a crash and see what the last things in the file are. I suspect they will not have anything useful, but you never know!

Packetdancer
11.22.2012 , 01:02 AM | #10
Also: for XP, to get to the Windows error log, the process is Control Panel -> Performance and Maintenance -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management, then pick Event Viewer. Then go to Application, and find the event for SWTOR Launcher crashing, and view that. I don't have an XP install handy at the moment, so I cannot offhand remember if the format I list above (the Problem Event Name et al) is the same in XP as in Windows 7, alas.