Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

False Advertising and Fraud!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
False Advertising and Fraud!
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

JimG's Avatar


JimG
11.20.2012 , 03:27 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by NCornelius View Post
A few days ago I created a new character. The name had a special character "" in the name. After playing to level 12 or so I found that other players had a difficult time communicating with me because of the special character in the name "". Now I have no problem just deleting that character and making a new one however I already spent 300+ cartel coins unlocking HK-51 on that character. Now under your website http://www.swtor.com/free at the bottom is says "Get one Character, Guild, or Legacy name change per month."
While their customer service certainly can be frustrating, I hate to break the news to you that you have absolutely no case here. You chose the name for your character. No one forced you to choose it and you're still able to play your character. You certainly did not select that name expecting to utilize a free name change for it. That's something you came across on the website after the fact. So you've got no detrimental reliance upon a false statement and your supposed fraud claim is out the window. In addition, fraud requires an intent to deceive and this is obviously an unintentional error where some website designer mistakenly put that feature in the list before it was ready to go. Likewise, any false advertising claim goes out the window without intent or gross negligence. In short, you have no legal grounds for any claim. Furthermore, the terms of service you agreed to requires that you submit all disputes to binding arbitration if they cannot be resolved informally. So you're basically making empty threats which is why no one at BW is shaking over their boots regarding this ranting.

As to HK-51, numerous people have posted on the forums about this bug. I haven't seen anything from BW acknowledging that they are aware of the bug, but it's clearly a bug that many people are encountering. So fixing the issue may not be as simple as someone flipping a magic switch just for you in order to fix it. If you encounter an obvious bug like this and choose to buy new gear for HK or whatever it may be, then that's your problem. Your best bet is to let HK-51 sit for a day or two until they hopefully get the bug straightened out.

Dacer's Avatar


Dacer
11.20.2012 , 03:39 PM | #12
Wow... just wow.

Granted they did say they were going to implement that... But it wasn't in the patch notes.

You made a mistake - and now you are seriously over reacting to it.

You named your character not BW, and I'd bet anything you didn't name your character with the idea you were going to change it after like 5 hours of game play.

Your "claim" is baseless. And if you do dispute the payments of however much money you spent on Coins and a sub.... I'd bet they will get turn into a collection agency because you willfully paid for it and only called foul when you learned that -'' Oh my name sucks... I wonder if i can change it, OH it looks i might be able.. WHAT I CAN'T! OMG BW IS TERRIBLE I WANT MY MONEY BACK"

NCornelius's Avatar


NCornelius
11.20.2012 , 04:41 PM | #13
Did I say I was going to dispute the charges? NO, I just wanted what was advertised on their site. I didn't make them put that up there. Did you read my post? I said:

Quote:
Now you need to do one of 3 things to fix this issue for me or I will open a case with my states consumer protection agency for False Advertising. 1. Let me rename my character. 2.Refund my cartel coins so that I can make a new character and purchase the HK-51 on that one. 3. Remove the False Advertising on your website that says "Get one Character, Guild, or Legacy name change per month."
They did number 3. Remove the False Advertising on your website that says "Get one Character, Guild, or Legacy name change per month.

If they would have left that text up after I made them aware of it then it shows intent and they could be on the hook for False Advertising. My claim was valid that's why they took the text down now. Go look they already changed it. I did choose the name, I wanted to change it in accordance with what their website said so I was shocked at being denied. I will continue to play the game, I just wanted them to fix my problem OR remove the features they advertised but where not in the game.

jupitorjones's Avatar


jupitorjones
11.20.2012 , 04:48 PM | #14
your legacy name is not your main name so you don't get a free name change only 1 free legacy name change, so yeah go ahead and sue
Jedi waves hand-- " you want to drop your weapon and surrender" Bounty Hunter waves hand " you are an idiot"

NCornelius's Avatar


NCornelius
11.20.2012 , 04:48 PM | #15
Quote:
As to HK-51, numerous people have posted on the forums about this bug. I haven't seen anything from BW acknowledging that they are aware of the bug, but it's clearly a bug that many people are encountering. So fixing the issue may not be as simple as someone flipping a magic switch just for you in order to fix it. If you encounter an obvious bug like this and choose to buy new gear for HK or whatever it may be, then that's your problem. Your best bet is to let HK-51 sit for a day or two until they hopefully get the bug straightened out.
It's easy to restore or give gear if you open a ticket and it's been 5 days without my HK gear. Fixing the problem so it won't happen again and giving me gear I should have had are two different things. Why would I waste credits on HK gear when the stuff he comes with is good?

NCornelius's Avatar


NCornelius
11.20.2012 , 04:51 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by jupitorjones View Post
your legacy name is not your main name so you don't get a free name change only 1 free legacy name change, so yeah go ahead and sue
Umm I think you are confused, they where advertising "Get one Character, Guild, or Legacy name change per month." They removed the text after I posted.

Quote:
Hi there,

I wanted to apologize about this confusion. It is our intention in the future to be able to provide the free character, guild, or Legacy name change per month, but unfortunately, we are not able to offer this at this time. We will be removing the text, as it is an error. Thank you for calling this to our attention!
But good try

jupitorjones's Avatar


jupitorjones
11.20.2012 , 04:55 PM | #17
i see where you are confused on it it get one character one guild and one legacy name change are separated . I don't read it as one character name change or guild name change or legacy name change
Jedi waves hand-- " you want to drop your weapon and surrender" Bounty Hunter waves hand " you are an idiot"

NCornelius's Avatar


NCornelius
11.20.2012 , 04:59 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by jupitorjones View Post
i see where you are confused on it it get one character one guild and one legacy name change are separated . I don't read it as one character name change or guild name change or legacy name change
you are still wrong, that's why bioware removed the text from their web site.

Quote: Originally Posted by JovethGonzalez View Post
Hi there,

I wanted to apologize about this confusion. It is our intention in the future to be able to provide the free character, guild, or Legacy name change per month, but unfortunately, we are not able to offer this at this time. We will be removing the text, as it is an error. Thank you for calling this to our attention!

OMGrant's Avatar


OMGrant
11.20.2012 , 05:01 PM | #19
False advertising is false advertising.

Lostpenguins's Avatar


Lostpenguins
11.20.2012 , 05:23 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by jupitorjones View Post
i see where you are confused on it it get one character one guild and one legacy name change are separated . I don't read it as one character name change or guild name change or legacy name change
Yeah, don't know what you're talking about. The word "name" applied to each of the 3 separate things: character, guild, legacy. If you read it like you stated, you'd get one guild change a month. You can already and join many other guilds, as often as you and the inviting guild allow. So you're reasoning made no sense, whatsoever.