Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Charging Subscribers for Content

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Charging Subscribers for Content

thekidpow
11.20.2012 , 09:27 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Monoth View Post
Did you drop out of 1st grade or something? Go look up the definition of content and get back to me....
A race has a cosmetic value and (if you play a non-human Imperial) maybe a few dialogue differences. There's nothing to DO that's specific to a race in SWTOR. Theres no Miraluka race quest or Chiss race quest. Content is active.

HarleysRule
11.20.2012 , 09:29 AM | #12
Meh I don't consider a race as content...more like a cosmetic option like orange gear. I have no interest in unlocking Bozo the Cathar, but IIRC it's going to be neighborhood of one month's worth of CCs to unlock, so basically subscribers still get it "free" if you don't blow those coins on worthless gambling boxes that month.

I would be seriously annoyed if they charged us for Section X.

Quote: Originally Posted by thekidpow View Post
Probably will reduce the number of furry cybersex we'll see, so go on BW.
If only...

Monoth
11.20.2012 , 09:31 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by jgoldsack View Post
By your logic, every single item on the cartel shop should be free for subscribers.

Cathar is no different than buying a set of gear on the shop. You are buying it for the looks. It does not affect gameplay at all, or give you an advantage over anyone else.

Bioware is not THAT dumb to charge for FP, WZ, ops for subscribers. You can take off your tinfoil hat. People said that they were going to charge for HK on the shop too...
Bioware ORIGINAL stated that ALL content would be free to subscribers, since then they have been backing away from that statement... Now what there saying is all the content before F2P went live is free to subscribers but anything new were going to make you pay for...

If there going to make us pay for new content then they need to lower the subscription price. I'm starting to see why both founders of Bioware left, I think it became obvious to them EA was going to drag their company through the mud.

Might have to take my own advice I gave other players awhile back, if you don't like what there doing then you should quit....
F2P is like driving on a long stretch of highway with toll booths every 1/2 mile

BJWyler
11.20.2012 , 09:31 AM | #14
By your logic, every single item on the cartel shop should be free for subscribers.

Cathar is no different than buying a set of gear on the shop. You are buying it for the looks. It does not affect gameplay at all, or give you an advantage over anyone else.

Bioware is not THAT dumb to charge for FP, WZ, ops for subscribers. You can take off your tinfoil hat. People said that they were going to charge for HK on the shop too...
Agreed. Everything can still qualify as "content" in the broad sense of the term, but subscribers get a monthly allotment of CCs, so we in truth have to buy nothing. If players cannot wait until they get the needed amount of CC for free, well that's on them and not BW.

Bioware ORIGINAL stated that ALL content would be free to subscribers,
And it is free because we continue to get free CCs. We never have to pay for one coin, unless we want to be greedy impatient pigs and get everything right away. Quite frankly, if everyone started saving up now, you should have more than enough CC available to unlock the Cathar by the time it goes live.

BJ
Primus and Alpha on the PTS/Swords of the Republic on The Shadowlands
Check out our own Character Page which includes music and Quest Lists

and our YouTube Channel for Gameplay footage and more

Rayla_Felana
11.20.2012 , 09:33 AM | #15
Cosmetics and content are two different things.

jgoldsack
11.20.2012 , 09:33 AM | #16
Now what there saying is all the content before F2P went live is free to subscribers but anything new were going to make you pay for...
Please, show us where that is stated, otherwise you need to stop putting words into their mouths.
On the Internet, you can be anything you want. It is strange so many people choose to be stupid.

http://www.swtor.com/r/ycmWN7 <-- link for some free stuff!

Monoth
11.20.2012 , 09:34 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by thekidpow View Post
A race has a cosmetic value and (if you play a non-human Imperial) maybe a few dialogue differences. There's nothing to DO that's specific to a race in SWTOR. Theres no Miraluka race quest or Chiss race quest. Content is active.
LOOK UP THE DEFINATION OF CONTENT instead of making up your own...
F2P is like driving on a long stretch of highway with toll booths every 1/2 mile

JimG
11.20.2012 , 09:38 AM | #18
It's not content from a gaming standpoint. It's a different character skin to run the same content that's already there. However, the dev said "most likely" so perhaps people could see how this plays out before letting it ruin their entire life.

Monoth
11.20.2012 , 09:39 AM | #19
Please, show us where that is stated, otherwise you need to stop putting words into their mouths.
Quote:
5. Are there any content in the future (that are not part of a major expansion) that subscribers will have to make a purchase in the Cartel Market to gain access?

Damion Schubert: There will definitely be content that is only available for purchase
It's pretty obvious where there going, Bioware plans on pushing the envelope as far as they can on making subscribers pay for additional content.

Lionflash
11.20.2012 , 09:40 AM | #20
This thread is essentially an arguement whether cosmetic stuff = content. Personally I don't think it is, but I understand if people really want the race and don't think it should have a cost.

However, this game has gone F2P and the Shop was added because this game hasn't earned enough money. Even though plus or minus 500k subs is a lot, this game was expensive to make and is expensive to build on. People want them to continue to build the class stories, that needs voice work from multiple languages and tons and tons of work accross 8 class stories with dozens of different NPCs for each.

As long as they don't charge 2000 CC for the race unlocks I won't join the rage quite yet. For now... grow SWTOR... grow...