Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Charging Subscribers for Content

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Charging Subscribers for Content

Monoth
11.20.2012 , 09:11 AM | #1
I was willing to look the other way with all the fluff items on the cartel shop, even tho I feel all of it should be obtainable within the game for subscribers.

But this is really disappointing..

Quote:
During the livestream Q&A hosted before 1.4, it was mentioned that Cathar would be the first race available through Cartel Market. Will this be a Cartel Market exclusive or subscribers can unlock it via other means?

This will most likely be a Cartel Market exclusive. However, its price point will be reasonable, and subscribers wishing not to pay for it will have the option of storing up the Cartel Coins they earn for free through the Loyalty Program.
To me this is where the line between subscriber and F2P becomes fuzzy, We were ALWAYS told that subscribers would not have to pay for any content (with the exception of expansion packs) but now it seems if you want to play as a Cathar you will need to spend additional money as a subscriber to do so...

Also you know subscribers are not going to want to wait months to save up Cartel Coins to play a new race, so the statement they can wait and save up is a joke. If you want to lose your entire subscriber base Bioware keep doing stuff like this...

EDIT: BTW, this is just the beginning of the end, you know all future Warzones, Operations and Flashpoints will also be sold to subscribers on the Cartel Shop... So being a subscriber is starting to look like a rip-off....
F2P is like driving on a long stretch of highway with toll booths every 1/2 mile

ghrian
11.20.2012 , 09:15 AM | #2
a new race is no content. If the price is like the other race legacy unlocks, a subscriber will need two months to earn the needed cartel points.

In my opinion no need to be upset.

TarristerWelm
11.20.2012 , 09:15 AM | #3
Subs paying for new races? Fail. I hate bioware now. I never thought I'd say that.
Tyran of Havoc Squad, "Why don't you swallow a grenade and do us all a favor."

thekidpow
11.20.2012 , 09:16 AM | #4
LMAO race isn't content.

thekidpow
11.20.2012 , 09:17 AM | #5
Probably will reduce the number of furry cybersex we'll see, so go on BW.

Monoth
11.20.2012 , 09:20 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by ghrian View Post
a new race is no content. If the price is like the other race legacy unlocks, a subscriber will need two months to earn the needed cartel points.

In my opinion no need to be upset.
ANYTHING created for the game is Content PERIOD.... It's crazy how people try to justify Bioware ripping them off... And as I put in my Edit above, this is just the beginning you know Bioware is going to try and get subscribers to pay for new Flashpoints, Warzones and Operations in the future....
F2P is like driving on a long stretch of highway with toll booths every 1/2 mile

MasterKayote
11.20.2012 , 09:22 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by thekidpow View Post
LMAO race isn't content.
Oh? Do tell ... what is your definition of content? Because it seems to me that the entire game is, by definition, just one big heaping pile of content. Though im sure you have your very own definition of what "content" means ...

Didnt they say Makeb would probaly be sold seperately as well? Or did they retract that in my time away?

Capt_Beers
11.20.2012 , 09:23 AM | #8
If you have a security key it's one month worth of coins. Or if you have a 6 month sub.

http://www.swtor.com/free
<HVND> <MALEVOLENT>
Keef-Stone 60 Serenity | | Keets-Stone 60 Seer | | Keith-Stone 60 Combat Medic | | Keeth-Stone 60 Vigilance
Keet-Stone 55 Focus | | CaptBeers 60 Arsenal | | Kee'th 60 Pyrotech | | FOTM-Reroll 55 Tactics

jgoldsack
11.20.2012 , 09:23 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Monoth View Post
ANYTHING created for the game is Content PERIOD.... It's crazy how people try to justify Bioware ripping them off... And as I put in my Edit above, this is just the beginning you know Bioware is going to try and get subscribers to pay for new Flashpoints, Warzones and Operations in the future....
By your logic, every single item on the cartel shop should be free for subscribers.

Cathar is no different than buying a set of gear on the shop. You are buying it for the looks. It does not affect gameplay at all, or give you an advantage over anyone else.

Bioware is not THAT dumb to charge for FP, WZ, ops for subscribers. You can take off your tinfoil hat. People said that they were going to charge for HK on the shop too...
On the Internet, you can be anything you want. It is strange so many people choose to be stupid.

Monoth
11.20.2012 , 09:24 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by thekidpow View Post
LMAO race isn't content.
Did you drop out of 1st grade or something? Go look up the definition of content and get back to me....