Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Revisiting An in-depth look at: Revan

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Revisiting An in-depth look at: Revan

Rayla_Felana's Avatar


Rayla_Felana
11.19.2012 , 06:41 PM | #161
Quote: Originally Posted by Airmo View Post
But he was. Not in every battle, but he was giving her orders just like he gave them to Malak.
He gave regular orders and picked out which places to strike at, it is made pretty clear in the campaign guide that the Exile's victories were her own, no one else's, she won those battles herself, she wasn't directed to, many of her decisions had no influence from Revan.

Honestly you guys need to read the comics and the sourcebooks, it's all made much clearer in them.

Rayla_Felana's Avatar


Rayla_Felana
11.19.2012 , 06:43 PM | #162
Quote: Originally Posted by Xatasha View Post
Who cares if he won the duel he was still dead and his death served only to help put Sidious in charge of the empire. Won a battle, lost the war. If his shatterpoint was that powerful he would of known that to confront Sidious at that time would of been really bad.
I don't think you understand how Shatterpoint works, it is more like very deep realisations and visions rather than something you just switch on.

Xatasha's Avatar


Xatasha
11.19.2012 , 06:43 PM | #163
Quote: Originally Posted by Airmo View Post
Wait. Did I say he was a tactical genius? I don't remember saying that. I do however think he was the best of everything there, which is why he was in command.
I think you came in a bit late. I was talking about Revan being a good leader and not really a tactical genius that he put the geniuses in the right spots. Some folk were saying he was a tactical genius and I was countering them

Airmo's Avatar


Airmo
11.19.2012 , 06:44 PM | #164
Quote: Originally Posted by Rayla_Felana View Post
He gave regular orders and picked out which places to strike at, it is made pretty clear in the campaign guide that the Exile's victories were her own, no one else's, she won those battles herself, she wasn't directed to, many of her decisions had no influence from Revan.

Honestly you guys need to read the comics and the sourcebooks, it's all made much clearer in them.
I never said her victories weren't her own. I'm just saying Revan was the one in command and when it came down to it she followed his orders.
"Darkness is a friend, an ally. Darkness allows us to understand others, to see what they value when they believe no one else is looking. It allows us to be honest with ourselves, to express those values that we would disavow in the light. The light blinds us. It is only in the dark that we see clearly."

Aurbere's Avatar


Aurbere
11.19.2012 , 06:46 PM | #165
Quote: Originally Posted by steaktrooper View Post
Are these guys still going at it? I think this may be your most popular thread yet, Aurbere
Unfortunately, it's about Revan. I had hoped that other threads more deserving of attention would have been so popular.
Added Chapter 49 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

Airmo's Avatar


Airmo
11.19.2012 , 06:47 PM | #166
Quote: Originally Posted by Xatasha View Post
I think you came in a bit late. I was talking about Revan being a good leader and not really a tactical genius that he put the geniuses in the right spots. Some folk were saying he was a tactical genius and I was countering them
I was here for people saying he was a tactical genius but I never said that myself and I wasn't debating with you about that so sorry for the misunderstanding. I do think he is a good leader and the best tactitian the republic had though.
"Darkness is a friend, an ally. Darkness allows us to understand others, to see what they value when they believe no one else is looking. It allows us to be honest with ourselves, to express those values that we would disavow in the light. The light blinds us. It is only in the dark that we see clearly."

Wallner's Avatar


Wallner
11.19.2012 , 06:47 PM | #167
Quote: Originally Posted by SoonerJBD View Post
Aurbere, you need to stop posting about Revan. You simply can't talk about him without letting your obvious bias against his character show.

I have no problem with the idea that he hasn't mastered both sides of the force or that he doesn't use them both simultaneously. These are, quite frankly, semantic issues. I don't mind you favoring Mace Windu in a duel. I think that is certainly a logical opinion, though you took it a bit far with the hyperbole about Revan crying. But when you say he isn't a master tactician, you do so in direct conflict with what we see and hear in the games and the novels.

Canderous doesn't just say that Revan is a master tactician, he essentially credits him for single-handedly winning the war with his tactics and by besting Mandalore himself in the final battle. "Character statements aren't canon," is a cop-out. Yes, this is an opinion statement. But we have no reason not to believe that Canderous' opinion isn't valid. In fact, given that he is praising an enemy, we have every reason to believe what he says. Kreia's statements similarly portray Revan as a tactical genius as do the statements of other characters. His leadership turned around the war. Discounting that achievement by saying he used the Madalorians' tactics against them is similarly ludicrous. You make it sound as if he stole some sort of secret Madalorian playbook. All he did was make smart tactical decisions, sacrificing planets when necessary for the greater war effort. These aren't Mandalorian tactics so much as they are generally sound military planning. By any measure, Revan is a master tactician.

As for his other abilities, we know he bested Mandalore and Malak in duels. Malak was leading an entire army of Sith at the time, none of whom could best him. We are told Revan was one of the finest duelists of his era. We know he had a considerable connection to the force that not only allowed him to defeat opponents but also to redeem many of them. He redeemed Ajunta Paul's ghost, among other things. These are not the achievements of a better than average Jedi.

No, Revan is not some end-all force God like Luke Skywalker. But he is the leading Jedi of his era. He is clearly a powerful Jedi with unique and strong ability in the Force. Trying to constantly downplay him as you do comes across like you have some sort of axe to grind. You need to take a few deep breaths.
Agree with you I do. But not that Aurbere need to stop posting about Revan, everyone needs to be allowed to express their opinion.
Registered: Oct 2008
Tomb of Freedon Nadd (EU)
Jorus (Guardian) -Zakarus (Sorcerer) -Kavin (Mercenary)

Xatasha's Avatar


Xatasha
11.19.2012 , 06:49 PM | #168
Quote: Originally Posted by Rayla_Felana View Post
I don't think you understand how Shatterpoint works, it is more like very deep realisations and visions rather than something you just switch on.
That is one aspect of it however to use it in a duel, you would have to be able to switch it on or have it on at all times. There really isn't any time to have visions and realizations in a fast pace duel. However shatterpoint is suppose to show you the weak points in a defense. If Windu's shatterpoint was as powerful as some claim then he would know that there was no good outcome and gone into exile like Yoda

Rayla_Felana's Avatar


Rayla_Felana
11.19.2012 , 06:50 PM | #169
Quote: Originally Posted by Airmo View Post
I never said her victories weren't her own. I'm just saying Revan was the one in command and when it came down to it she followed his orders.
Do you understand how the commander-in-chief role works? you don't give out orders or get involved with all your generals' business, you assign targets and long term strategies and take requests from your commanders, admirals and generals, you then decide what goes where and work with them to have the bigger picture mapped out, that's the role.

Generals and commanders give out the actual orders and form most of the battle plans, which they then basically hand in like an essay and they are implemented or ignored, the only battle we know was properly planned by Revan was Malachor V and the use of the MSG, which he entrusted to the Exile to get done.

Rayla_Felana's Avatar


Rayla_Felana
11.19.2012 , 06:52 PM | #170
Quote: Originally Posted by Xatasha View Post
That is one aspect of it however to use it in a duel, you would have to be able to switch it on or have it on at all times. There really isn't any time to have visions and realizations in a fast pace duel. However shatterpoint is suppose to show you the weak points in a defense. If Windu's shatterpoint was as powerful as some claim then he would know that there was no good outcome and gone into exile like Yoda
Actually that's exactly what Windu had in the duel, he realised that Sidious feared him and that he trusted Anakin to save him, but he immediately had another shatterpoint where he realised that Sidious was tricking him by reflecting Anakin's fear off of himself and once he'd realised what was really going on, Anakin was in the middle of disarming him.