Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Updated Graphic Card now Pixelated in-game Graphics

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Updated Graphic Card now Pixelated in-game Graphics
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Matty-Wan
11.17.2012 , 10:23 AM | #1
Hi,

I recently updated my graphics card driver to help the utter disaster that 1.4 has become with my in-game performance. The constant crashing due to memory overload is completely unbearable so something had to be done. Now that I have updated my driver, when SWTOR loads everything becomes completely pixelated like an 80's nintendo game. Could somebody tell me how to fix this newest SWTOR associated disaster? I will provide any info that will be helpful, just let me know. Thank you.
Its Starwarsy and Iconic. RIP SWG

Sutii
11.17.2012 , 10:38 AM | #2 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Hello Matty-Wan,

To be able to troubleshoot the particular issue you're experiencing we need more information about the computer you are trying to run the client on. Please reply to this thread with a DxDiag report of your system. Instructions on how to obtain this can be found within the spoiler below.

Please post them within [code] [/code] or [spoiler] [/spoiler] tags.

DXDiag report
Spoiler
Thank you.
Sutii | BioWare Customer Service - Forum Support

Matty-Wan
11.17.2012 , 10:46 AM | #3
Sweet, thanks. Here you go:
Spoiler

Sutii
11.17.2012 , 11:15 AM | #4 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Hello again Matty-Wan,

Looking through your DXDiag Report I can see that you are missing some updates, most notably some Service Packs for your Operating System. With that said I would recommend that you check each of the points in the following spoiler as a first step towards resolving this issue:

Spoiler
If you are still encountering this issue after checking all of the above, please reply here including an updated DxDiag report. Information on how to obtain this can be found here.

Thanks.
Sutii | BioWare Customer Service - Forum Support

Matty-Wan
11.17.2012 , 02:20 PM | #5
I updated the service pack and framework. The direct x was up to date. I ran the repair tool. Still pixelated since the driver update. Oh and most importantly the near unusable performance issues are persisting. Consistent memory overload leading to crash.

What I did find however is that by going into window mode I stopped the pixelation. This leads me to believe the graphics card is somehow not registering the max resolution anymore. it was 1920 x something or other. I do not want to play in window mode however so if you could continue to help me to achieve the graphics I was enjoying prior to the driver update I would appreciate that. Thank you.
Spoiler

Oh also, I am noticing that when the game launches the pixelation effect goes across my whole system. For the moments before the splash screen comes up and after I log out I see the same pixelation effecting my desktop. It seems the launch of the SWTOR client is effecting my monitor settings maybe?

Sunsoar
11.17.2012 , 02:34 PM | #6
Try uninstalling your drivers, doing a driver clean, and reinstalling your nvidia drivers again.

Did you go from an Nvidia card to another Nvidia card? Also, did you just update drivers after installing your new card or did you do a fresh GPU driver install?
Without me, it's just aweso.
i7 950 @ 4.0ghz, ASUS X58 Saber mobo, 12gb RAM@1866mhz, 6970 LIGHTNING, 120GB SSD, 1TB HDD, BWU Keyboard, Razer Mamba, PC350s, XFX XXX 750w PSU.
This game desperately needs some sandbox elements. Repetitive grinding is not fun.

Matty-Wan
11.17.2012 , 02:38 PM | #7
Same card, went into the device manager and searched for the latest driver and updated that way. I will try uninstalling the driver then re-installing though.

Sunsoar
11.17.2012 , 02:40 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Matty-Wan View Post
Same card, went into the device manager and searched for the latest driver and updated that way. I will try uninstalling the driver then re-installing though.
Good deal. Download/Reinstall from Nvidias website, not windows
Without me, it's just aweso.
i7 950 @ 4.0ghz, ASUS X58 Saber mobo, 12gb RAM@1866mhz, 6970 LIGHTNING, 120GB SSD, 1TB HDD, BWU Keyboard, Razer Mamba, PC350s, XFX XXX 750w PSU.
This game desperately needs some sandbox elements. Repetitive grinding is not fun.

Berith
11.17.2012 , 02:57 PM | #9
Hey Matty-Wan,

As an Nvidia owner i was reading your post and like to add a few suggestions.

First reinstall your driver, but instead of going the express install do a custom install and click fresh install check box (remove profiles).

If your still having issues then see if your monitor timing (refresh rate) is set correctly on the Nvidia Control Panel. You may also like to check the Adjust desktop size and position tab under Display on the control panel as well to see if scaling is not set right (meaning scaling to a resolution your monitor can not display), I turn my scaling off as it add's a small amount of latency but not much.

As for your issue with the game running bad, I would keep shadows off or on low as your video card is on the low end. I can see a hit with them on high and im running 2x GTX 580's 3GB in SLI. I have seen that Bloom hits hard as well as it gets applied to every little light emitting object on screen.

Like to add that i seen you have a dual core CPU (my old system had one as well), and no amount of overclocking could smooth out the frame rate on particle affects and mass players on screen. After upgrading my CPU to a i7 2700k 4 core i seen a huge difference. Hope this helps.
"So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb." -Dark Helmet-

Matty-Wan
11.17.2012 , 03:11 PM | #10
Thank you Sunsoar. Apparently you know exactly what Nvida suggests a person does before updating, uninstall! I am back in business. WELL, I have a new problem now. I dont know what it was, maybe the launch repair I was instructed to do, but I am now experiencing F2P settings... No more toolbars, no more credits..... Yet another thing to figure out.

Thanks Berith, I run on low setting now, I am not totally sure what that entails but I suspect I am not enjoy any high end effects. As far as the crashing, I know exactly what is causing it. Since 1.4, with each load screen, my memory use builds up and up to around 1,000,000 K and then I crash. Depending on how many FP, WZ or planets I go to, I could crash 4 or 5 times per session. Its bad....