Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Thoughts on Alacrity

Snaloe
11.18.2012 , 06:47 PM | #11
So out of curiosity the best stats to stack on sage healer then would be power/alacrity then ?

|| C'rane 50 Guardian | Snaloe 50 Trooper | Balvier 50 Sage | Izzob 40 Scoundrel ||

Aurojiin
11.18.2012 , 06:57 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Snaloe View Post
So out of curiosity the best stats to stack on sage healer then would be power/alacrity then ?
No, because the inverse is true: eventually you are getting so little activation speed from your alacrity rating that surge is much more beneficial.

Aiming for an equal amount of raw surge rating and alacrity rating on your gear is a pretty solid rule of thumb.
Aisev -:- Seer Sage Si'ki -:- Darkness Assassin

Snaloe
11.18.2012 , 06:59 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Aurojiin View Post
No, because the inverse is true: eventually you are getting so little activation speed from your alacrity rating that surge is much more beneficial.

Aiming for an equal amount of raw surge rating and alacrity rating on your gear is a pretty solid rule of thumb.
Thanks

|| C'rane 50 Guardian | Snaloe 50 Trooper | Balvier 50 Sage | Izzob 40 Scoundrel ||

JimboJankins
11.19.2012 , 01:14 AM | #14
While I'm not in a top guild by any means I agree with the OP that I personally don't want to much alacrity. My heals are solid enough to keep any of our tanks up (our biggest problem clearing content is dps not getting the output and always hitting enrage timers or being stupid). I run just under 8% alacrity and can still get the heals out fast enough but prefer the bigger heals to faster cast times and running out of force.

Ycoga
11.19.2012 , 06:02 AM | #15
I run with maximised alacrity in pvp (DPS), and max WP/Pwr/Surge in pve (Healer).

When I do DPS in pve, people are always impressed by the damage output of a max-alac sage.

Don't knock it if you haven't tried it. In fact, just try it already so that people will remember that sages do in fact have teeth. (Force in balance is equivalent to Lolsmash, why arent there legions of sage FIB'ers like there are legions of Lolsmashers?)
'Pre-2.0 PvP... The gear gap was too big and some players became non-contributors quickly because of the gear gap. It wasn’t fun for the majority of players' - Alex Modny

Darth_Dreselus
11.19.2012 , 10:50 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Ycoga View Post
(Force in balance is equivalent to Lolsmash, why arent there legions of sage FIB'ers like there are legions of Lolsmashers?)
Because the are all running Bubble Spec and that prevents them from getting Mental Scarring =P. But ye when I DPS in PvP (and PvE) FiB is a sweet thing to use. Shame it's not auto crit like Lolsmash.
The Last Centurions Derpyn - Sage / Toughen - Vanguard / Bluffin - Scoundrel / Roughen - Sentinel
Filthy-rich - Juggernaut / Timberwulf - Sniper / Ironwill - Mercenary / Ahuizotl - Assassin

BiS Relics for Healers PvE/PvP

Khevar
11.19.2012 , 02:16 PM | #17
There have been many lively debates on the subject of Alacrity.

Some extremely vocal people have presented immovable opinions about healing with 0% alacrity being the best and only way to go. I had dabbled in low alacrity builds and didn't like it as much, as the math seemed to indicate that a moderate amount of alacrity was of benefit.

A while back, inspired by another player who did something similar, I decided to swap out all of my power/alacrity with crit/surge and power/surge to see if I could be a better healer without alacrity. Since I have 3 level 50 toons that use willpower gear, I figured I was willing to spend the BH comms as I could shlep the mods and enhancements around later on if I ended up not liking the results. (Disclaimer: I wasn't willing to buy another Earpiece, so I still had 57 alactiy, which is a +2% cast time.)

I usually heal HM EC with either another Sage healer or a Scoundrel healer. We use MOX and depending on the fight I can hold my own against the other two. After my Alacrity drop, there was a reduction in my healing (about 100-200 hps). I kept this gear for 1 8M SM EC run and 2 8M HM EC runs.

It is important to note that we were STILL able to handle the content. The low alacrity build worked. But I was dragging a bit according to the parse.

I swapped my gear back (running at 285 alacrity, which translates into +9% cast time) and next week's run had my parse back up to where it was before.

I've kept this build for my HM TfB runs, and it's been 100% fine. I haven't yet done NM EC, but I imagine that will ALSO be a valid build.

TL;DR:
1. A 0% Alacrity build will let you successfully heal a raid.
2. A moderate (e.g. 9%) Alacrity build will let you heal a raid BETTER.