Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Slap in the face from Bioware

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content
Slap in the face from Bioware

Gomla
11.19.2012 , 09:11 PM | #41
I have an image of BioWare employee's going round to people's houses and slapping folk round the face.

It amuses me.

hchsiao
11.19.2012 , 09:46 PM | #42
It sucks however sadly you will have to take it and It happen to all the early adopter.

Just like what happened to me in Steam Summer Sale. I bought Rage for 19.99 in the summer sale event, however 3 hours later the new daily sale drop Rage to 9.99. I email Valve and they reply that they can't do anything about it. (Can't refund or grant credit.)

Scovina
11.19.2012 , 10:50 PM | #43
Quote: Originally Posted by MarkoJinn View Post
For 500 coins a month I can't even buy 1 of those orange yellow crystals. Actually it takes 2 months to buy 1 crystal. Everything I said would happen is actually happening much faster. The value of cartel coins is so low that you're basically a sucker if you are subscribed since for your subscription you get nothing!!!

I actually plan on sitting down and doing some math to see if being subscribed even pays off in the long run. I think it's better to play for free and every so often spend some money when you need an extra character slot or the ability to use purple gear.
Yes you are right you are getting absolutely nothing at all for your subscription. Way to be horribly over dramatic.

Pernicia
11.20.2012 , 12:36 AM | #44
What baffles me is how so many people in this thread are talking about BW devaluing all of your "hard work". Seriously, you're playing a game for entertainment. If this is work to you, you're either a sweatshop credit farmer or maybe should reconsider your hobby. Also, how does someone buying these perks now affect your enjoyment of the game? You saw something you wanted and did what was needed to get it, so clearly it was worth 4.5m to you. I fail to see how someone paying $5 for it changes that.
Pernici the Furious
<Night Stalkers>
Server: The Harbinger

GalacticKegger
11.20.2012 , 12:44 AM | #45
Quote: Originally Posted by theeANGELofDEATH View Post
Of course they will change things, but dropping the price of a luxury item from 4 mill to 5 bucks is a slap in the face to those who worked for them.. it would be the same as if they came out next month with the ability to buy unlocks into endgame gear(26-28), like the artifact gear unlocks, then put up dreadguard and warhero gear up for sale for CC. People worked for that gear, then later the Devs come along and say "here, you can now buy these for 5 bucks".

It makes as much sense as putting defense rating on smuggler gear.. must be a QQ thing, right?
I remember grinding raids in WoW for months to get T2 epics only to see every friggin piece get replaced by quest blues the first week Burning Crusade went live. Welcome to the wonderful world of MMOs.
Can we please just have our pre-KotFE SWTOR MMORPG back?

Rigermortis
11.20.2012 , 04:21 AM | #46
Quote: Originally Posted by Scovina View Post
This is how I feel because if you did buy them for the accomplishment of doing it you need no other gratification than doing it for itself.
That's a fairly altruistic way of looking at it ... honestly though I'm no saint and don't expect most other people to be either.

Part of the gratification is having other people validate your efforts not just yourself. It's part of what keeps people hooked to MMO grinds of all sorts. Yes things change but past efforts should be validated in different ways when they do. Maybe with a special title or novelty pet reward for completing the achievement in the past as examples.

It's not just the gratification of the challenge that counts for most people but also the recognition of it.

Rigermortis
11.20.2012 , 04:27 AM | #47
Quote: Originally Posted by Pernicia View Post
What baffles me is how so many people in this thread are talking about BW devaluing all of your "hard work". Seriously, you're playing a game for entertainment. If this is work to you, you're either a sweatshop credit farmer or maybe should reconsider your hobby. Also, how does someone buying these perks now affect your enjoyment of the game? You saw something you wanted and did what was needed to get it, so clearly it was worth 4.5m to you. I fail to see how someone paying $5 for it changes that.
When they say work they mean effort - not gainful employment. Effort can be fun as can recognition for effort. You know this I believe because it's not really hard to gauge given the topics context but you're playing semantics with the word "work".

Do you only play games that require no effort? Of course not just as people who "work" at games aren't on the payroll.

spectreclees
11.20.2012 , 05:08 AM | #48
Quote: Originally Posted by theeANGELofDEATH View Post
Of course they will change things, but dropping the price of a luxury item from 4 mill to 5 bucks is a slap in the face to those who worked for them.. it would be the same as if they came out next month with the ability to buy unlocks into endgame gear(26-28), like the artifact gear unlocks, then put up dreadguard and warhero gear up for sale for CC. People worked for that gear, then later the Devs come along and say "here, you can now buy these for 5 bucks".

It makes as much sense as putting defense rating on smuggler gear.. must be a QQ thing, right?
No it's not. I bought everything from Legacy and I don't feel like I was slapped in the face. It was my choice to spend credits after all. I feel an alternative method was needed and I approve of it.
Referral link for 7 days of free game time and a starter pack.

SpoeMeister
11.20.2012 , 07:01 AM | #49
An analogy for all of you:

As a student, I worked really hard during the summer to earn enough money to buy me a new gaming PC. It had all the specifications I needed and to even be good in a foreseeable future.

Last week I saw a pamflet from a computer store that they sell that very same PC for only half the price I paid it then... My friend went and bought it.

I am not envious of my friend. I am not mad at my manufacturer that I have paid twice the amount in that time.

I am happy that I saw something I really wanted, I had the possibility to get it and I am still enjoying the performance this machine can bring me. And on top of that, I am proud of myself because it was my perseverance alone that got me that computer.

No one ever sees my computer, it's in my room. But I know it's there and I know how it got there. And that is what mattered.

Things lose their value over time... It"s the way of things.
Everything will be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not yet the end.

Spivak Legacy (ToFN)
SpoeMeister Orrusos Do'chan Nadobo

Zapranoth
11.20.2012 , 12:10 PM | #50
Quote: Originally Posted by Pernicia View Post
I like this way of thinking. Since the onset of 1.5 I've looked at the activity on virtually every planet and it's much higher than usual. Even Founder subsribers are having fun withthe cartel coins and what's inside the meteor that just fell by their feet.

Let's consider now the question of $5.00 vs. 4.5m credits. One is real money and the other is time. But how much time? With a subscription cost of $14.99 for a month, would it take anyone 1/3 of a month to crank out 4.5 mil for rocket boots? No. With all the dailies and other ways to make credits, they tend to pile up rather quickly if you're motivated to do it. PLUS when you're subscribing, you get all content, not just storyline. MMO subscriptions are still one of the cheapest forms of entertainment I know. Cartel coins just seem to have added to the fun.