Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Rush-rushers in SWTOR

MrToxin
11.16.2012 , 02:58 PM | #1
Okay, I need to get something off my chest.
This has been bothering me since I started playing the trial for the first time. First of all this is a story based game, and a game that any RP'er dreams about, great story, great music, ambient, planets, IP everything. And yet I constantly see people wanting to get to the level cap as fast as possible, wanting all XP boosts, wanting to constantly level faster, to get as much XP they can asap.
Why is that? Why do people like that play this game? WoW is designed for those people, you get steamrolled to level cap in 3 days, and skip half of zones. I really love doing all datacrons, missions, bonus missions, bonus series, flashpoints, everything.
I know everyone has their own playstyle, but if they don't like leveling and story, this game isn't for them.

And another thing, I've also read quite a lot that this game is too easy. And imo, it's far from it. It's actually quite challenging, especially heroics. Even normal missions are challenging, enemies come in groups, and in various difficulties. Every planet has a World Boss. Getting datacrons themselves is challenging, I love those puzzles.

So all in all, I really don't understand these 2 things. In short, this game is far from easy, it's just casual/user-friendly and convenient, but not easy. And I don't get people wanting to rush asap to the level cap.

FerrusPA
11.16.2012 , 03:01 PM | #2
These people think the game gets better at the cap. The fools.
December Pre-Order Best Pre-Order
Proud Guildmaster of Two Swords One Box. Apply now!

Thread = Faden Threat = Drohung

BlazingShadow
11.16.2012 , 03:03 PM | #3
yeah I'd believe that this game were challenging if everything wasn't soloable with a medic companion.

Ops are the only thing that's really a challenge... that's not even that bad.

Also, once you start earning bonus presence from companions, the game gets stupidly easy. My mako is only in rakata/blackhole and she tanks ads like a champ now.

TheNahash
11.16.2012 , 03:04 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by MrToxin View Post
...and a game that any RP'er dreams about
Not everyone is an RPer
Or a big fan of exploration
or interested in the lore...

LordArtemis
11.16.2012 , 03:06 PM | #5
I would like to chime in on this.

I can not argue against the fact that people rushing to the end annoys you. You are entitled to feel that way. I would only say that enjoyment in a game can be many things to many people, and that means different folks find fun and satisfaction in different ways.

I would agree that the contention that the game is too easy is pretty silly. If you play the game as it was designed it is quite challenging. If you instead gear BIS, overlevel each area, have the perfect optimized build, etc you will find the game too easy perhaps.

The ability to play it on easy mode is a choice, and complaining that that choice is available is silly IMO.

I tell folks like that to try using only drops, or dismiss their companion and then see if the game is too easy.

GalaxyStrong
11.16.2012 , 03:12 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by MrToxin View Post
Okay, I need to get something off my chest.
This has been bothering me since I started playing the trial for the first time. First of all this is a story based game, and a game that any RP'er dreams about, great story, great music, ambient, planets, IP everything. And yet I constantly see people wanting to get to the level cap as fast as possible, wanting all XP boosts, wanting to constantly level faster, to get as much XP they can asap.
Why is that? Why do people like that play this game? WoW is designed for those people, you get steamrolled to level cap in 3 days, and skip half of zones. I really love doing all datacrons, missions, bonus missions, bonus series, flashpoints, everything.
I know everyone has their own playstyle, but if they don't like leveling and story, this game isn't for them.

And another thing, I've also read quite a lot that this game is too easy. And imo, it's far from it. It's actually quite challenging, especially heroics. Even normal missions are challenging, enemies come in groups, and in various difficulties. Every planet has a World Boss. Getting datacrons themselves is challenging, I love those puzzles.

So all in all, I really don't understand these 2 things. In short, this game is far from easy, it's just casual/user-friendly and convenient, but not easy. And I don't get people wanting to rush asap to the level cap.
I just really want my Agent to get into his Vendetta gear so I can look bad-***, thats why I want to get to lvl 50.
RESPECT THE EMPIRE!!!
Or YOUR A DEAD-MAN

CosmicKat
11.16.2012 , 03:13 PM | #7
Casual/user-friendly does not mean easy. It means a person does not need 5 hours per play session to accomplish something. A player of TOR can log on for 1 hour and do many things, there is no downtime or set-up time in this game, beyond waiting 30 seconds for load screens. They hit this target well for the sake of the casual players.

People say this game is easy because it is. It's insanely easy compared with 'oldschool' MMO's. It's easy compared to light MMO's. It's easy compared with any single player RPG ever made. It makes Dragon Age:Origins look like a Mensa championship exam. If you do the quests as you get them, level yourself when you advance, and pay attention, your odds of dying in solo PvE content are very slim. Even if you do die, there is virtually no penalty anyway.

Some Heroics appear hard but that is really just in comparison to the rest of the content. They too are not very challenging if the group plays like a group, so in TOR, yes they are usually challenging.

MrToxin
11.16.2012 , 03:14 PM | #8
Thanks for your replies and insights everyone!

Quote: Originally Posted by LordArtemis View Post
I would like to chime in on this.

I can not argue against the fact that people rushing to the end annoys you. You are entitled to feel that way. I would only say that enjoyment in a game can be many things to many people, and that means different folks find fun and satisfaction in different ways.

I would agree that the contention that the game is too easy is pretty silly. If you play the game as it was designed it is quite challenging. If you instead gear BIS, overlevel each area, have the perfect optimized build, etc you will find the game too easy perhaps.

The ability to play it on easy mode is a choice, and complaining that that choice is available is silly IMO.

I tell folks like that to try using only drops, or dismiss their companion and then see if the game is too easy.
Good point. But I just think that if their enjoyment is solely reaching the level cap in 3 days and nothing else, this game isn't for them.
And I agree you can set up your own difficulty. You can choose your own gear, stats, abilities, you can dismiss your companion etc. Most mobs have various abilities, and unlike WoW, in SWTOR your really learn your class while leveling.

Also I know not everyone is a RP, but this is a story driven MMO with a great IP.

And as for those companion boosts in presence, I was concerned about that myself. I even made a topic about it before. But I found out that even those 500 presence don't make that much difference late game, only early till like level 15 or so, where you can solo the content anyway, without a companion.

EDIT: And to add to the last post, well I explained it above in this post
As for solo PvE, I can't count how many times I've died and I'm only level 42. I mostly dismissed my companions, but even with them I tend to die, and quite often to elites. After level 30 even normal mobs are tough.
And as for death penalty, it's actually great. You get a repair bill and you get to choose similar to single player games, if you want to load the last saved game (medical probes) or go to the checkpoint (medstation). Very similar to BW's single player RPGs.

Athena-Nike
11.16.2012 , 03:18 PM | #9
Some of those people (like me) have already played through all 8 stories at least once and are trying to level another toon to 50 for different ops/HM/PvP roles and gear. The game is great the first play through, the second the world quests become a bit dull, the 3'rd + the world quests become more annoying then fun, and once you hit all 8 class stories all leveling up to 50 is a grind rather then fun. So ya first few plays people ought to slow down and enjoy everything but after that its not so interesting

Khevar
11.16.2012 , 03:19 PM | #10
This game can be different things for different people.

1. I love the class stories. On my first level 50 I actually played out every side quest and all bonus series, even went back at level 50 doing the Alderaan bonus series, just to see it. For subsequence toons I tend to skip a lot of side quests, as I've seen them before. To keep things from being too much of the same thing, I'll switch back and forth between Republic and Empire.

2. A good friend of mine HATES leveling -- his favorite thing to do is doing stuff with friends, ops, warzones, etc. When he decided to try out a healing character it was pulling teeth to get him to level his sage. Eventually he just stopped doing his class quests and did warzones to 50. I think he never even made it past Belsavis. Yet he's still playing his dps toon and healing toon and still enjoys the game.

Just because someone plays the game differently than you doesn't make them wrong.