Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Restricted experience for f2p

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Restricted experience for f2p

Scyllia
11.16.2012 , 02:05 PM | #1
Any idea how much less experience you get for being a f2p player, and does it affect both quest and kill experience or just kill experience.

Seems a bit of a strange thing to add, and could put a few people off.

ripster
11.16.2012 , 02:16 PM | #2
From my experience on the PTS I found it strange to have it presented so negatively. Instead of saying Subscribers get a bonus after level 10, they say you lose XP as a non-subscriber. I can't remember what the reduction was though. However, if you do all the quests including the bonus series, don't bypass all the mobs in the area and do a few space missions and FPs along the way you should be fine. If you are wanting to blow through to 50 as fast as you can you will need XP boosts, but otherwise I've found my characters to always be overleveled if I wasn't skipping stuff.

-Silver-
11.16.2012 , 02:23 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Scyllia View Post
Seems a bit of a strange thing to add, and could put a few people off.
Yeah, the marketing for F2P has been atrocious. It's marketing school 101 - you should frame being a subscriber as a benefit, NOT being a free player as a restriction. Yet all of their marketing has been "these are the restrictions for F2P players." Frickin' amateur hour over at this studio. They can't even grasp basic business psychology and advertising.

As for the experience - don't worry about it. I skipped numerous quests in my leveling experience, mainly the heroic missions requiring a party to complete, and skipped all of the Flashpoints except the first one, and I still found myself 3-4 levels higher than the majority of enemies I fought. You won't have any issues keeping up

Blueconscience
11.16.2012 , 02:39 PM | #4
thanks for the info, that is handy to know, was looking to resubscribe in the near future, and was a little concerned if I returned and quested as a f2p player I would struggle keeping my characters level with the content they are currently up to.

CelCawdro
11.16.2012 , 02:41 PM | #5
You'll never have to grind, and you're given many experience boosts as quest rewards that return your rate to normal, anyway. Personally, I tend to miss out on a lot of content while levelling up (particularly bonus series), so there is definitely enough out there to hit 50 without a hitch. And that's if you don't take advantage of the allotted flashpoints and warzones.

LOWTHOR
11.17.2012 , 12:32 PM | #6
Ran a quick test,
Created two Jedi Knights, one on subscription account, one on f2p.

Killed through the first quest.
- Mobs killed gave 21, 33, or 35 xp. This was the same for both characters.
- Quest gave 512 xp. This was the same for both characters.

So at least at first, there was no xp difference between subscribe and f2p. Still wondering what the difference is other than rested xp.

eldefail
11.17.2012 , 01:09 PM | #7
I though F2P got the same experience as was standard prior to 1.5, and subscribers got a bonus. I wasn't under the impression that F2P xp went down from the pre-1.5 ratio. If the F2P xp rate is the same as pre-1.5 it will NOT affect your ability to level, and you may even slightly outpace some content if you do all the bonus series and a few flashpoints.

LOWTHOR
11.17.2012 , 03:12 PM | #8
From Free-2-play comparison chart (http://www.swtor.com/free/features)

Experience rate -
Subscription - Gain Experience Points (XP) faster than Preferred Status and Free-to-Play players.
Preferred - takes longer to gain Experience Points (XP)
Free-to-Play - takes longer to gain Experience Points (XP)

I have not found the difference between subscription and Free-to-Play, so far my Subscription and Free-to-Play characters are gaining the same XP.

eldefail
11.18.2012 , 05:07 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by LOWTHOR View Post
From Free-2-play comparison chart (http://www.swtor.com/free/features)

Experience rate -
Subscription - Gain Experience Points (XP) faster than Preferred Status and Free-to-Play players.
Preferred - takes longer to gain Experience Points (XP)
Free-to-Play - takes longer to gain Experience Points (XP)

I have not found the difference between subscription and Free-to-Play, so far my Subscription and Free-to-Play characters are gaining the same XP.
See, that only demonstrates an xp boost to subscribers. What I'm asking is if F2P has actually had a reduced XP rate, or if they are at 100% of the original pre-patch rate while subscribers were given a passive permanent xp boost, thus operating at, say, 110% of the pre-patch amount.

LOWTHOR
11.18.2012 , 05:46 PM | #10
Regardless, still playing a subscription character side-by-side with a f2p character and I have not seen ANY xp difference.