Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

F2P & Future content interview with developer Damion Schubert

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
F2P & Future content interview with developer Damion Schubert

Chiltonium
11.16.2012 , 05:23 PM | #41
advance class change? Lols.
Syasentas - 55 Operative
Syadestis - 55 Powertech
Syaseheth - 55 Assassin
SyasehethS - 55 Juggernaut (yea, same name with an s, so what, wanna fight about it?)

Methenu
11.16.2012 , 05:32 PM | #42
Quote:
1. What was the biggest challenge in converting such a massive MMO into a FTP model?

It would have to be giving away as much as humanly possible to our free to play players, while still ensuring that our subscribers felt like they were getting a great value. Both populations of players are a key component to Star Wars: The Old Republicís path forward, so getting this tricky balance correct is crucial.
Speaking as someone who purchased the CE and a 6 month subscription and came back to see the restrictions on free to play before re-subbing, reading "giving away as much as humanly possible to our free play players" is a joke.

Not subscribed - pay to show or hide your legacy name
Not subscribed - pay to show or hide your head piece

There are more but you get the idea. Is this as much as humanly possible? As a long time MMO player I consider these things basic fluff. So, in my opinion, this is not as much as humanly possible. Maybe as much as inhumanly possible? Because honestly all I'm seeing is a desperate money grab to unlock features basic to most MMOs. I'm surprised there isn't a charge to unlock the mail system.

I'm not sure who I feel more sorry for, EA/BioWare for feeling they had to resort to this or the players who would actually pay for it.
Sorcerer Powertech Marauder Operative Guardian Sage Commando Gunslinger

Jorgoman
11.16.2012 , 05:43 PM | #43
Excellent interview! A great many answers were provided.

TheSeer
11.16.2012 , 05:48 PM | #44
Quote: Originally Posted by Sambril View Post
Great job as always Dulfy

But really unhappy with some of the answers.

Cathar were annouced long before F2P was talked about publicly - subscribers should not have to pay extra for such content.

Character slots - asking me to pay for something which I already have is just unacceptable. No deal Bioware.
^ I agree with both of these points. Even if they add the Carther to the legacy for a large credit sum, that would be a better option than not making them available through the game. This bugs me a whole lot less then the character slot answer. I really want to say I'm surprised, but I'm not, I figured they do something like this. What is really sad is they forced all my characters onto one server because they open too many servers to being with and now expect me to pay for it because they gave me no other choice. I hadnít even hit my 50 character cap. How is this fair? Grandfather them in or give us free transfer to other servers so we can open up some slots on our main server.

Soluss
11.16.2012 , 05:54 PM | #45
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
Excellent interview Dulfy!

I know some are going to probably get worked up about some of the answers.... but from my perspective this is one of the best sets of interview questions I have seen and frankly I think he was as forthright and honest as disclosure limits permited.

As always.... Thanks for all that you do for the community!
To start with a positive.... Yes, the questions were excellent. Now with the negative, what he is pretty much saying, as expected.... be prepared for the milking. Their goal is to get subscribers to pay extra. Thats the bottom line.
James Ohlen: " For 2012 we really want players to feel like they're getting their money's worth. You're going to see so many changes and additions to the Star Wars Universe. It's going to be impressive. We have our Update 1.2 coming in the next week and then after that it's going to continue to roll out month after month. It's exciting."

TheSeer
11.16.2012 , 06:22 PM | #46
Too bad about the CE vendor, but at least they were honest that there on the back burner for now.

lokdron
11.16.2012 , 06:25 PM | #47
I hope they rethink making subs pay for cathar because if they go through with this oh boy people will be upset.

SithEmpress
11.16.2012 , 06:30 PM | #48
Thanks for the interview Dulfy, there was some good info in it but Iím disappointed with some of their decisions. Like not allowing people to earn the new races in game, through quest or buying them with large amounts of credits in the legacy. I think some players are really not going to be happy about this.

As for we donít think itís fair to everyone else who wasnít lucky enough to get this accidental side benefit from server merges. Lucky, we werenít lucky we were forced to move all our characters to one server whether we like it or not. I for one would rather have sent my character form Voork Lamar to a different server or even spread them across multiply servers. That way I wouldnít have max out my available slots. If you had simple let us choose where to send them, this wouldnít be an issue.

Yes I understand that some people might see this as unfair but really it not much of a benefit. After all we are still limited to 50 characters account wide and we would have to pay to unlock the next character slot for the new race, other wonít even have do this as there free slot werenít used up by the character transfer. Making player delete or buy slots because you forced their characters on to one server is not cool.

Hockeyfan
11.17.2012 , 01:33 PM | #49
Quote: Originally Posted by SithEmpress View Post
Thanks for the interview Dulfy, there was some good info in it but Iím disappointed with some of their decisions. Like not allowing people to earn the new races in game, through quest or buying them with large amounts of credits in the legacy. I think some players are really not going to be happy about this.

As for we donít think itís fair to everyone else who wasnít lucky enough to get this accidental side benefit from server merges. Lucky, we werenít lucky we were forced to move all our characters to one server whether we like it or not. I for one would rather have sent my character form Voork Lamar to a different server or even spread them across multiply servers. That way I wouldnít have max out my available slots. If you had simple let us choose where to send them, this wouldnít be an issue.

Yes I understand that some people might see this as unfair but really it not much of a benefit. After all we are still limited to 50 characters account wide and we would have to pay to unlock the next character slot for the new race, other wonít even have do this as there free slot werenít used up by the character transfer. Making player delete or buy slots because you forced their characters on to one server is not cool.
I've been leaning towards unsubscribing, locking characters for subscribers isn't helping change my mind.
Jacen Solo
Skywalker Legacy

Arkerus
11.17.2012 , 02:17 PM | #50
Quote: Originally Posted by Methenu View Post
Speaking as someone who purchased the CE and a 6 month subscription and came back to see the restrictions on free to play before re-subbing, reading "giving away as much as humanly possible to our free play players" is a joke.

Not subscribed - pay to show or hide your legacy name
Not subscribed - pay to show or hide your head piece

There are more but you get the idea. Is this as much as humanly possible? As a long time MMO player I consider these things basic fluff. So, in my opinion, this is not as much as humanly possible. Maybe as much as inhumanly possible? Because honestly all I'm seeing is a desperate money grab to unlock features basic to most MMOs. I'm surprised there isn't a charge to unlock the mail system.

I'm not sure who I feel more sorry for, EA/BioWare for feeling they had to resort to this or the players who would actually pay for it.
If you make 2 chars per server you can play 1-50 FOR FREE on each character. That's a ridiculous amount of content for zero cost except for your time. Get over it. There needs to be some barriers or there is no reason to spend money.
Hooning in the rex : http://youtu.be/xtXUM6yPMCY