Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Windows 8 problems

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

optimuslantern
11.16.2012 , 01:14 AM | #1
I've had nothing but issues with swtor crashing for me on Windows 8.
What is happening is that I'll be playing when suddenly everything will just freeze. I still hear music playing but the entire game is dead. It doesn't crash to desktop and I have to close via task manager.
I checked and my graphics card is not overheating, I play everything on high with no lag,
It will just die on me.
In 1.4 I was able to work around this by doing compatibility mode for Windows XP but that no longer works.

The only way I can run without crashing is turning everything down to Very Low, when I can run it at high without lag.
This is something I all but refuse to do, please some help?

October
11.16.2012 , 01:31 AM | #2
SWTOR worked just fine for me when I was running the customer preview of Windows 8 last year, again earlier this year on higher specs.

Then again, it was the preview.

Dassvidanja
11.16.2012 , 02:06 AM | #3
I may not be right but at present I am not sure SW:TOR supports Windows 8...

I guess this is the problem with jumping over to a new OS when the previous one (Win 7) worked fine.

Dassvidanja.

optimuslantern
11.16.2012 , 10:22 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Dassvidanja View Post
I may not be right but at present I am not sure SW:TOR supports Windows 8...

I guess this is the problem with jumping over to a new OS when the previous one (Win 7) worked fine.

Dassvidanja.
I got a new computer preloaded with it.

Amodin
11.17.2012 , 01:07 AM | #5
Works just fine on Windows 8 Pro 64-bit.

Just make sure you are running Launcher as Administrator.

computernerd
11.17.2012 , 01:11 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by optimuslantern View Post
I got a new computer preloaded with it.
You could try calling Microsoft and telling them you want to exercise your downgrade rights. Doing this means they will give you a "free" license to Windows 7. Having only heard about doing this and not trying it myself I don't know what this will do to your current Win8 license.
There is no Ignorance; There is Knowledge. There is no Fear; There is Power.
I am the Hear of the Force.
I am the Revealing Fire of Light.
I am the Mystery of Darkness In Balance with Chaos and Harmony, Immortal in the Force

Genko
11.17.2012 , 02:41 AM | #7
I had a few issues with this. I hate to change the compatibility mode of swtor and the launcher to an older version of Windows, then I updated the game fully. At this point it would launch fine. Then I removed compatibility mode and it worked fine.
11-11-11 - Beware my power.

morfius
11.17.2012 , 02:57 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Amodin View Post
Works just fine on Windows 8 Pro 64-bit.

Just make sure you are running Launcher as Administrator.
swtor.exe also need administrator privileges ...
"The Aing-Tii have a different view of the Force. Not in terms of Jedi or Dark Jedi—of black and white, as it were—but in a way I like to think of as a full-color rainbow."

optimuslantern
11.17.2012 , 12:07 PM | #9
It's just getting so frustrating that absolutely nothing I try does any good.

optimuslantern
11.17.2012 , 12:21 PM | #10
What is happening is that I'll be playing when suddenly everything will just freeze. I still hear music playing but the entire game is dead. It doesn't crash to desktop and I have to close via task manager.
I checked and my graphics card is not overheating, I play everything on high with no lag,
It will just die on me.