Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Help With Itemization/BiS for Immortal PvP Jugg

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Guardian / Juggernaut
Help With Itemization/BiS for Immortal PvP Jugg

DroidDreamer's Avatar


DroidDreamer
11.15.2012 , 05:55 PM | #1
Hey guys, new Jugg here. No, not F2P new, but rather "been playing other classes since Day One" new. I've read all the guides on the forums. I've read every other guide I could find. I've also read Taugrim's blogs on defense chance vs shield, etc. My Jugg is level 34 right now and I need help with itemization for my future PvP gear.

Here is my build (click on the "skills" section of the link).

http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/characte...b-92d28539fedc

As you can see it's mostly in the Immortal tree, going up Vengeance to get Unstoppable and in Rage for a bit of extra damage. But really it's a defensive spec and I play a defensive game guarding healers with Guard, CC, peels, snares, taunt and knockbacks. I LOVE this playstyle. I am not going for damage. I am a defensive asset to protect healers or DPS (I have a War Hero Sorc healer so I know the healing game quite well; helps for tanking). And I want to be able to last a long time solo guarding a node after I call for inc for back up.

I am following the playstyle and tips set forth in this Watchman Guardian Guide and enjoying the hell out of it:
http://watchmen.activeboard.com/t501...hole-guardian/

Finally, to my gear questions. I want to stack Endurance primarily and then defense chance for the reasons set forth in the Watchman Guardian Guide. So I plugged in all the gear and optimization suggested by the guide into Dulfy's Ask Mr. Robot Site. Check my first link above. On the "Gear" tab you will see my un-optimized choices, mostly War Leader with two Vindicator pieces for the two-set bonus of 8% heal with Intercede. On the "Wishlist" tab, you will see all of the suggested optimizations from the Watchman Guide. It's doubtful that I would have the time and energy to find those three Advanced Guardian Armoring 25 since I don't do ANY PvE but I put it all in the Wishlist just to see.

See for yourself. Compare the Gear tab with the Wishlist tab. The results are surprising. The Watchman guide has a higher hit point count and higher defense chance but everything else a lot lower. Shield chance is higher but shield absorb is very low, for example. I am wondering if the regular un-optimized set in the Gear tab is a better approach than the Wishlist tab. As a busy guy with a career, etc., I am wondering if it's worth it to invest the time for the grind in light of the resulting stats.

Please remember: I am NOT looking for gear for a DPS tank. I AM looking for gear for a defensive primarily Immortal spec tank that suits the PvP playstyle I outlined above. I don't care that I don't do as much damage as long as I can live longer to defend a node, effectively guard healers and score big time in Huttball (or escort the ball carrier). Your feeedback is welcome. Thank you!
The DroidDreamer Legacy (Pot5 Server)
Eblen 50 Sorc heals | Sodan 50 Sniper | Trilliant 37 Immortal Jugg | Somnis 50 TankSin
They mark me with the lightning bolt in Huttball.

totenalles's Avatar


totenalles
11.16.2012 , 03:09 AM | #2
Your build is ok, but i can see room for improvement. You left out 2 of your most important talents for rage conservation, and you will likely find yourself spamming a lot of regular hits unless your able to get out of range and do an extra saber throw + charge.
http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#10...zZcRr0MZRM0z.2
That is the build that i use for jugg pvp, (i used to do full pve immortal spec and it worked great.. this just allows for Unstoppable). You really want Lash out and Revenge, as you will want to proc force scream as often as possible to get your Sonic Barrier. Also, your Retaliation is very important as it is an attack that doesnt respect the global CD and is proc'd on defensive measures. You dont need to spec into chilling scream, because you only ever need to cast it once, and anything more is a wast of time. I wouldnt particularly say no to throw gauntlet, and if it suits you, take some points out of the rage tree to spec into it. I dont take shield spec, because shield chance is actually reduced to nill if the opponent has a high crit chance (shield rating MUST be well over 30% to have any sort of value, and even still shielding is very very rare). (reference: http://taugrim.com).

The shield factor being recognized, i would suggest putting 0 points into shield or absorb. Most attacks are force and tech and are unshieldable, and the rest would only have a maximum of 20% shield chance if you cap your shield rating as high as it can go (factoring in 30% crit). 20% chance to mitigate 50% damage is less vital in my opinion to a 25-30% chance to mitigate 100% damage from a defense roll. The hard cap on Defense rating is 30%, which is reached at ~600 defense chance. That is a hell of alot of defense. I recomend it for PVE, since living is your one and only job, but doing enough damage to get enemies off your healers is also a primary role of tanks in pvp. I would recommend a 25% defense chance, which is attainable with 2 war hero defense relics and 1-2 enhancements/mods. For the rest of your gear, cap your accuracy at 99%, crit at 25-30%, surge at 76%, then stack power and endurance. Of course your expertise also hits its DR at 1200, so swap out pvp mods for pve to get the extra stats.

As a tank in PvP, your job isnt quite the same as in pve. You will not likely be the main focus of damage, and most of what you take will come from guarding others. That damage cant be mitigated, so stacking endurance is your best bet to live through it. Killing the people that are killing your healers, and having enough health to live through the beating is your main objective.

I understand that you want to be a "pure tank" and not a "dps tank" for pvp, but in the end, thats what you end out being as a juggernaut. Without buffs like the assassin's Dark Ward, giving you 8% extra shield, or a PT's flame procs, stacking any number on shield or absorb is pretty much pointless. Your survivability falls into your ability to kill others before they kill you, and to manage your millions of stuns and defensive CDs properly.
Blackmann: 50 Immortal Warrior
...like, 4 or 5 other blackmanns...or 6
Yea, im black...

DroidDreamer's Avatar


DroidDreamer
11.16.2012 , 12:56 PM | #3
Thank you very much for the detailed feedback on my build. I will certainly take it under advisement. Chilling Scream is an important part of my build for controlling enemies be it in the bottlenecks of Voidstar or in slowing an advance, or keeping enemies off my ball carrier, in Huttball. But I am starved for power from time to time so I will look into it.

BUT... you didn't give me any feedback on my gear which is what I am really concerned about.
The DroidDreamer Legacy (Pot5 Server)
Eblen 50 Sorc heals | Sodan 50 Sniper | Trilliant 37 Immortal Jugg | Somnis 50 TankSin
They mark me with the lightning bolt in Huttball.

DroidDreamer's Avatar


DroidDreamer
11.21.2012 , 11:46 PM | #4
I guess all of this is out the window now that WH is the new BM and EWH is the new WH in 1.6.
The DroidDreamer Legacy (Pot5 Server)
Eblen 50 Sorc heals | Sodan 50 Sniper | Trilliant 37 Immortal Jugg | Somnis 50 TankSin
They mark me with the lightning bolt in Huttball.