Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Sage vs Shadow

yseralia
11.14.2012 , 08:12 PM | #1
I'm in a epic struggle of choosing sage or shadow. Can you guys help me

Xenith
11.14.2012 , 08:15 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by yseralia View Post
I'm in a epic struggle of choosing sage or shadow. Can you guys help me
Do you prefer ranged combat or close combat (which requires a lot of moving)?
Peace is a lie... and so is your Order.
CE_VIP

BlznSmri
11.14.2012 , 08:30 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Xenith View Post
Do you prefer ranged combat (which is typically very boring) or close combat (which requires a lot of moving)?
Fixed for you.
APOSTATES
Website | Recruitment | About Us
Jokerseven - Shadow | Ce'lia - Sentinel
Sentinel PvE Basics/ Marauder PvE Basics

yseralia
11.14.2012 , 08:43 PM | #4
It doesn't matter for me I've played enhance shaman on wow and arcane mage/ele shaman so I'm pretty well rounded

BlznSmri
11.14.2012 , 09:50 PM | #5
Sage is easy healing with decent dps. Shadow is challenging tanking with passable dps.
APOSTATES
Website | Recruitment | About Us
Jokerseven - Shadow | Ce'lia - Sentinel
Sentinel PvE Basics/ Marauder PvE Basics

stephenalandavie
11.14.2012 , 09:53 PM | #6
Put a decent shadow up against a decent sage and i put my credits on the shadow coming out on top.

Teioh_White
11.16.2012 , 06:13 PM | #7
Really do you want to have the option of tanking or healing, and go based on that one.

If you want to be pure dps, I'd steer you towards another class, but between these two, a shadow (should) do more. I'd say more than passable dps as well, the only classes I'd put above a shadow in dps would be a Sent, GS, and VG.

Talon_Starfire
12.15.2012 , 08:04 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by BlznSmri View Post
Fixed for you.
I think you mean fixed for you it is young one.
May the Gray Jedi Order Prevail Server: Prophecy of the Five
Looking for Sith guild.
Jhornak - Sith Assassin Zarchon - Jedi Shadow Cadezann - Smuggler Vistani -Trooper

MantorokTwelve
12.15.2012 , 10:20 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Teioh_White View Post
Really do you want to have the option of tanking or healing, and go based on that one.

If you want to be pure dps, I'd steer you towards another class, but between these two, a shadow (should) do more. I'd say more than passable dps as well, the only classes I'd put above a shadow in dps would be a Sent, GS, and VG.
You haven't seen a good sorc/sage then. A good hybrid will be competitive with mercs, snipers, and marauders, and the rotation is cake.

I think shadows make the absolute best tanks in the game, bar none. There's some good DPS shadows out there as well, but I think you're pretty much pigeon holed into infiltration, as sages get the vastly superior use out of balance (because they can get great synergy out of telekinetics). Sages get a great DOT/burst hybrid spec (http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#600Zfcb0bZfMbRsdkrs.2), but the burst spec of pure telekinetics is very wonky, requires more alacrity, and pretty much roots you in one spot for the fight. The shadow has a great burst spec with a fairly underwhelming dot spec compared to how great the sage is.

If you want to mainly tank, go shadow and never look back.

If you want to dps or heal, go sage.

Talon_Starfire
12.15.2012 , 10:33 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by MantorokTwelve View Post
You haven't seen a good sorc/sage then. A good hybrid will be competitive with mercs, snipers, and marauders, and the rotation is cake.

I think shadows make the absolute best tanks in the game, bar none. There's some good DPS shadows out there as well, but I think you're pretty much pigeon holed into infiltration, as sages get the vastly superior use out of balance (because they can get great synergy out of telekinetics). Sages get a great DOT/burst hybrid spec (http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#600Zfcb0bZfMbRsdkrs.2), but the burst spec of pure telekinetics is very wonky, requires more alacrity, and pretty much roots you in one spot for the fight. The shadow has a great burst spec with a fairly underwhelming dot spec compared to how great the sage is.

If you want to mainly tank, go shadow and never look back.

If you want to dps or heal, go sage.
I take it the same applies to Assassin & Sorcerer am I right?
May the Gray Jedi Order Prevail Server: Prophecy of the Five
Looking for Sith guild.
Jhornak - Sith Assassin Zarchon - Jedi Shadow Cadezann - Smuggler Vistani -Trooper