Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Thought Experiment: Where would you put them?

SgtKlavier
11.12.2012 , 01:26 AM | #1
Had this question in mind, and curious as to how people would respond. I'm not sure if this has any actual merit, but hey, this is the forums.

Given eight operation members of equally divided ranks of skill from 1-8, where would you place them in the eight positions available for the group and why? Assume that the role allocations are two tanks, two healers, two melee dps and two ranged dps, with no class specification.

Ephesia
11.12.2012 , 01:35 AM | #2
1- Tank 1
2- Healer 1
3- DPS 1
4- DPS 2
5- Healer 2
6- Tank 2
7- DPS 3
8- DPS 4
Ephesia, Level 55 Jedi Guardian
Tomb of Freedon Nadd (EU)
Member of Catalyst

Dragonbgone
11.12.2012 , 02:16 AM | #3
MT - 1
MH - 2
MDPS - 3
RDPS - 4
OT - 5
MDPS - 6
RDPS -7
OH - 8

Tanks need to be intelligent and skilled, they're controlling how the fight goes. I need at least one amazing healer, I've seen many end-game fights be plowed by one top of the line healer and a slackjaw riding on his coat tails, there aren't healer mechanic heavy fights in this game yet, they just sit there and heal.
melee dps need to be more skilled than ranged so they don't die, but same idea with the good/mediocre dps as with the healers.
. : Messores Republicae : .
Reapers of the Republic

Nursejenna
11.12.2012 , 04:18 AM | #4
~*Nursejen*~
Readers are plentiful; thinkers are rare.

Taiketo
11.12.2012 , 07:01 AM | #5
EDIT : I completely misunderstood what you were asking, lol.

Generally healers on bottom, tanks on top, and dps in the middle. DPS all in the same group if we have bloodthirst.

Codek
11.12.2012 , 08:14 AM | #6
1-Tank 5-DPS
2-Tank 6-DPS
3-Healer 7-DPS
4-Healer 8-DPS

I'm not sure if it's changed at some point but for the off chance that there is a marauder in the group. The Marauder bloodthirst buff only applies to it's party so by sticking all the DPS in the same group with it, you further maximize the DPS potential.

Other then that... It's personal preference.
~Codek

wetslampigduex
11.12.2012 , 08:19 AM | #7
I tend to agree with what codek said... if tanks and healers can't do there job then it's a fail group no matter how good/bad dps is

1a) Tank
1b)Heals
1c)tank
1d) Heals
5-8) Dps

Dragonbgone
11.12.2012 , 03:45 PM | #8
completely misunderstood what you were saying.

I agree with the tanks and the top, healers at the bottom, and dps in the middle, unless you have a mara/sent.
. : Messores Republicae : .
Reapers of the Republic

DocZoloft
11.13.2012 , 12:13 AM | #9
Tank - 1
Healer - 2
Tank - 3
Healer - 4
mDPS - 5
mDPS - 6
rDPS - 7
rDPS - 8

The skill needed by the offtank really depends on the given boss fight, which ranges from "don't need an offtank at all" to "Equal partner with tank swaps." Both healers need to be skilled because if people die, you wipe. Melee DPS needs to be more skilled than ranged to avoid many boss mechanics and the sentinel in particular plays a crucial role in many boss fights. Ranged dps can be dumb as a brick and it won't make a difference.
Zoloc | Xanaxa | Gardasil | Mohrphine | Prozaq | Klonopinn | Rytalin | Vicodina | Cilline

Raekor
11.13.2012 , 03:06 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by DocZoloft View Post
Tank - 1
Healer - 2
Tank - 3
Healer - 4
mDPS - 5
mDPS - 6
rDPS - 7
rDPS - 8

The skill needed by the offtank really depends on the given boss fight, which ranges from "don't need an offtank at all" to "Equal partner with tank swaps." Both healers need to be skilled because if people die, you wipe. Melee DPS needs to be more skilled than ranged to avoid many boss mechanics and the sentinel in particular plays a crucial role in many boss fights. Ranged dps can be dumb as a brick and it won't make a difference.
I'd say melee and ranged are about the same actually. In EC, Z&T have different mechanics for ranged and melee, and Kephess's cleave has a long range requiring both melee and ranged to position correctly. In TFB, melee have a harder time due to being bunched up, things are pretty much the same on Operator and Kephess (though we usually have ranged try and get the lightning balls so they have one extra trivial thing), and Terror the melee are pretty much just fighting a test dummy for the first phase whilst the ranged get the extra mechanics, and the second phase is pretty much equal.

I wouldn't say a Sentinel/Maraurder is crucial, but having one played properly makes fights a lot easier.

To the original question, I didn't take it as a who is better but an op frame positioning question. In which case:
T - D
T - D
H - D
H - D

DPS order doesn't matter to me, except on Writhing Horrow where we order by who is getting the pheromones.