Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Level 35 PT Pyro; I hate this class; seriously considering rerolling.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Level 35 PT Pyro; I hate this class; seriously considering rerolling.

nateslice
11.20.2012 , 10:36 PM | #41
My advice is to try a different spec before re-rolling. It'd be a shame to lose all that leveling work. I love playing my Powertech tank; I felt pretty much invincible most of the time leveling that character. It's also a good feeling to keep enemies occupied while your buddies dish out the damage safely. Really makes me feel like I'm pulling my weight in the group. Also, Powertech tanks build threat by doing overall better DPS than other tanks, rather than through designated threat-building moves. This might make it more fun for you.

The one possible downside is that I hear Shieldtech is weak in PvP. But I've also heard that it works fine if you focus on teamwork rather than personal glory. I don't do PvP, so I don't have an opinion on the matter. But I have done BGs in WoW, and I always favored focusing on team objectives there, preferring to help my team win the game rather than rack up the honor kills for myself.

I also hear that there are good hybrid specs for Powertech PvP. The Advanced Prototype tree might be worth a look, especially with a little bit of Shieldtech mixed in.
Star Wars goodness from Richard Cheese:
Star Wars Cantina
The Imperial March

Sideblaze
11.21.2012 , 06:26 PM | #42
Quote: Originally Posted by scullzomben View Post
I'm just not going to sugar coat it.

You are playing the easiest class in the game. I don't know what you are doing wrong.
?
To be honest, Any non Sniper/operative/sin class in this game requires less skill and more muscle memory/binding than skill. Pyrotechs are by no means "Hard to play", They are, however, "Hard to play -well-"

POPsi
11.26.2012 , 09:03 AM | #43
Pyro PT is awesome... I recently switched from the tank spec to pyro, and I have to say it's quite a monster in pvp- being still mostly in tank gear. And it will be much more better when I get my full dps set.

maestruljedi
11.26.2012 , 09:36 AM | #44
Leveling my PT is one of the most easy and fun experiences in SWTOR. PvE is smooth, PvP is amazing. I don't have best of the best gear (orange with blue mods appropriate for my lvl), but i kept Mako up to date and i'm just blowing through content. A nice trick is to use Explosive Dart on normal mobs, even if it's heat-expensive. I can ED a mob, RS it, it will die from the subsequent explosive, FB another one, RP to reset RS cooldown and finish off whatever is left. I took on strong, elite mobs and even bosses. I use and abuse Death from Above, Flamethrower and Quell. I only need to regen every 4-5 packs or so. I have 18 points in Pyro and the rest go in Adv. Prototype. My Vanguard is lower level, but i found out that my first 3 talent points are best spent in AP/Tactics tree to give 60% armor pen to RS/HIB.

PvP... you just gotta learn from the best. Check Oozo's Vanguard series: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQ1oIKIfMLs&feature=plcp

SiegePro
11.26.2012 , 11:09 AM | #45
I too had issues with my PT (enough that I DID re-roll and am having a much easier time as Merc) and I really think it comes down to playstyle. I can rock a Jedi Sage, I cut through endless swaths of foes with a Jedi Sentinel... but I have real problems with the Guardian and the PowerTech.

That both of the above are optional tank builds is not lost on me. I suspect my mindset just isn't right for that playstyle. In the case of the powertech specifically it seems to be the (for me) MIX of ranged/close attacks (and heat build-up issues that result for me) that does it to me coupled with mitigation via armor and Mako not being enough to make up for the shortfall in damage.

All I know is that on my Sage (aka the pebble-spammer) or Sentinel (with combat tree), at the same level I was looking at spawns with a gold and two silver and only needing to see if one of my heavier attacks or defenses was off cooldown (lesser spawns I don't even need to check anything other than that my health is above 75%) before leaping in, while on the PT (and the Jedi Guardian as well) just seeing a gold that wasn't completely by itself would have me doing my best to skirt their perception range entirely.

My performance with the Merc class though has been much more in line with the performance of my Jedi Sage and much more to my liking.

TL;DR You aren't alone in feeling that way about PT and I suspect its more a specific playstyle issue than simply a 'you suck' issue.

Mannam
11.27.2012 , 12:58 AM | #46
I have a PT Pyrotech, using Mako as my pocket healer. Later on I switched to Torian, he has some fire based attacks as well. Puncture and superheated rail improves railshots armor penetration.

For crew skills I am using biochem, gives me better medpacs and stims. Some are reusable, they heal my companion and myself at the same time. But on occasion switch back to Mako if the fights are tougher.

You can always turn off some of Mako's dps and cc abilities, make sure she is in med watch. Make sure your companions and your gear. Is level with the content your playing. Do not be afraid to pop heroic moment, even though its on a long cooldown.
Captain Bipto: What's the problem? Just vaporise, everyone, everything, boof, mission accomplished, medals, awards, a parade, next!
X-Wing Minatures Game