Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Windows 8 problems

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Mcurt
11.11.2012 , 01:45 PM | #1
Okay so here is my story

So i upgraded to windows 8 pro just yesterday downloaded a fresh copy of the game after getting my system ready... So game finished downloading i started playing afterwards. I played a couple of hours then the game crashed while i was switching characters. At first i couldn't fix the problem no matter how many repairs i ran. So i just downloaded the game again. It worked again for a couple of hours, then the same thing happened. It crashes. And no matter how many times you try to run the game again it will just crash at the start. So i made a call to costumer support, they told me it was a resolution problem. Here is the exact e-mail i got from them with instructions, after the phone call.

Greetings Balazs,

Thank you for contacting us about your graphical issue.

Firstly we need to ensure that the files are not hidden so can you please follow the below to do so.

Control panel > Folder options > View > Select show hidden files > Apply

Once this has been completed, please follow the below steps so we can manually set the resolution for the game. Ensure the resolution is set to the same settings on the PC.

•Computer
•Click on the C drive
•Select Users
•Click on your user ID
•App data
•Local
•Select SWTOR
•Settings
•Click client settings or Client settings.ini
NativeHeight =

Native Width =

D3D Full screen = False

You will need to ensure that the refresh rate is also set to 60 Hertz this can be found under the advanced settings in display. If the refresh rate is not showing in client settings you can simple paste the below in under the Native Width

Refresh rate = 60

Select File at the top left and save the changes.

Please also ensure that your Drivers are all up to date especially your graphics drivers.

Please do not hesitate to contact us again if you have any other issues or queries that you would like assistance with.

Regards,

Catherine
Star Wars ™: The Old Republic™ Customer Service

Now you can invite your friends to try out Star Wars: The Old Republic for free. Visit www.swtor.com/info/friends for more information, and help them get started today!

We would love to hear your feedback on our Customer Service and invite you to fill out the following survey to help us to continually improve our support!
https://www.research.net/s/TOREN?c=J6-p86763511

So after doing this i was actually able to run the game again. BUT the game started running on very low graphical settings by default. So i went to graphics settings and boosted everything to max, did an apply and bam the same error again. With the method provided by the costumer service I'm only able to run the game with very low graphics. And TBH it's *********** ugly.

Also i refreshed all my drivers, everything is up to date. So it's absolutely not a hardware nor a driver issue.

If anyone can give me any useful hints on how to solve this problem... please do so. I'm out of ideas
What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stronger

Sutii
11.11.2012 , 01:53 PM | #2 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Hello Mcurt,

I can appreciate how frustrating this issue may be, I am using Windows 8 myself on my main machine at home, unfortunately we do not officially provide support for users running Windows 8 at this time. Please see our minimum specifications for a complete up to date list of the Operating Systems we do support.

Thanks.
Sutii | BioWare Customer Service - Forum Support

Mcurt
11.11.2012 , 01:56 PM | #3
and when will bioware provide support for windows 8? you guys ll be getting a hell lot of disappointed customers soon, since windows 8 is out...

PS: i exceed all the game's minimum requirement by 10 fold.
What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stronger

Sutii
11.11.2012 , 02:24 PM | #4 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Hello again Mcurt,

Unfortunately I can't give an ETA on that, I would love to but I simply don't have that information available at this time. Once this does change, news of it will be communicated via our official channels, and most definitely reflected on the minimum specifications page.

I did note that the rest of your system does indeed exceed the minimum requirements, but unfortunately the Operating System is also a part of that.

If you do need help with anything else please let us know.

Thanks.
Sutii | BioWare Customer Service - Forum Support

turenko_beca
08.25.2013 , 08:56 PM | #5
Hello,
I just bought a new laptop ASUS S46C with windows 8 installed, and when i try to launch SWTOR nothing happens! can anyone tell me how to fix this issue ?

Many thanks!

Toweleeeie
08.25.2013 , 09:31 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by turenko_beca View Post
Hello,
I just bought a new laptop ASUS S46C with windows 8 installed, and when i try to launch SWTOR nothing happens! can anyone tell me how to fix this issue ?

Many thanks!
Yeah by installing windows 7 apparently.
Can I has more Sandbox?

ZythortheNyan
08.25.2013 , 10:59 PM | #7
I am using Windows 8. As a matter of fact, just upgraded to 8.1, and I have had no problems.

In this instance, since OP said he CAN play on low, but when he turns up settings it crashes, that tells me it is the computer.

OwenBrooks
08.25.2013 , 11:42 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by turenko_beca View Post
Hello,

Many thanks!
Ensure all Windows updates are done.
Can you post a Dxdiag up ? and in the game folder there is a log folder , look at the latest log if it says successfully launched swtor.exe try the below

•Press the [Windows] Key + [R] at the same time.
•Copy the following in to the text box and press ok: %localappdata%\swtor\swtor\settings
•Open the client_settings.ini file and ensure the following are displayed within, or edit/add if so required:
•Fullscreen = false
•D3DFullScreen = false
•RefreshRate = 60

•Save and close the file.
•Start the game as normal.

morfius
08.26.2013 , 02:30 AM | #9
Did you installed DX9 redistributable on your new Windows 8?
Game is DX9 based, Vista, 7 & 8 have not have full DX9 set on them.
"The Aing-Tii have a different view of the Force. Not in terms of Jedi or Dark Jedi—of black and white, as it were—but in a way I like to think of as a full-color rainbow."