Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Whats Higher DPS in end-game PVE Madness or Lighting?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Sage / Sorcerer
Whats Higher DPS in end-game PVE Madness or Lighting?

Asprin
11.10.2012 , 09:19 AM | #1
Title says it all, I'm trying to get my Sorc up to operation standards and I'm wondering what spec currently does the most damage in end-game operations.
(▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓⌡╫╫▒▒╫╢∏╟╫▒▒╫╫⌠▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓)"Sith have no fear." - Darth Tyrannus

SoonerJBD
11.10.2012 , 02:03 PM | #2
In all honesty, it just depends on the fight. For a straight turreting single-target fight, lightning parses higher. But it is far less mobile than Madness. Madness is also a bit more forgiving rotation-wise. Fights with lots of movement will skew towards madness, and most of the higher level operations require more movement.

schnopsnosn
11.11.2012 , 11:39 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by SoonerJBD View Post
In all honesty, it just depends on the fight. For a straight turreting single-target fight, lightning parses higher. But it is far less mobile than Madness. Madness is also a bit more forgiving rotation-wise. Fights with lots of movement will skew towards madness, and most of the higher level operations require more movement.
Once you're used to anticipating when you have to move it's not an issue anymore.

Vladnar
11.11.2012 , 11:41 AM | #4
as they say lightning scores slightly higher but is so static reliant, so go with madness for a touch less dps but ends up higher due to having to move at times AND is also the clear winner of the two in pvp so you're good to go.
The time of the Empire is now truly upon us

schnopsnosn
11.11.2012 , 11:45 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Vladnar View Post
as they say lightning scores slightly higher but is so static reliant, so go with madness for a touch less dps but ends up higher due to having to move at times AND is also the clear winner of the two in pvp so you're good to go.
Then you're doing it wrong.
Also you might be putting out higher numbers at the end of a WZ, but you barely killed anyone by yourself...

Dacce
11.11.2012 , 10:11 PM | #6
I find the madness hybrid to be the best. the Procs are easier to see and you get more of them. I played lightning for months then switched to the madness spec and started keeping up.

Larry_Dallas
11.11.2012 , 10:38 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by SoonerJBD View Post
You would think madness would parse better in the later operations due to movement, but, in my experience, it parses noticeably less (in the later ops, that is...madness is phenomenal against jarg and sorno, for instance, and fights with low, frequent raid damage like Gharj).

Couple reasons why

-if something lives for less than 24ish seconds, madness sucks against it compared to pretty much every dps spec of every dps class. Whereas lightning's has a damage spike right at the beginning.

-fights that require AoE or defensive cooldowns (ie bubble) are really taxing on madness' force reserves. Usually so taxing that the force cannot be spared to take advantage of Madness' groovy, but expensive chain shock. Aoe phases and mixing shock in during movement are pretty irrelevant to resource management for lightning. There'll never be a time when you say to yourself...gee I'd use shock while I'm repositioning myself, but I don't want to not be able to bubble myself during the lightning aoe against the dread guard, for instance (not a perfect example, I know).

-while madness is a lot more mobile, that mobility comes at the cost of resource management. If there's movement required, chances are you're channeling force lightning at the time. Force lightning's madness' main way of getting resources back. If you clip the ability short because you have to move or use an interrupt (another common thing in the later ops), the attack, and your rotation, goes from decently force positive to strongly force negative. If lightning has to interrupt one of its skills to move...it just does so. There's no drawback.

Personally, I'd like to see the regen from force lightning get buffed about 10%, because madness is a pretty awesome spec, imo, apart from force issues.

Edit: it is worth mentioning that you'll see way less variance as madness than as lightning.

Chemic_al
11.12.2012 , 03:04 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Larry_Dallas View Post
If you clip the ability short because you have to move or use an interrupt (another common thing in the later ops), the attack, and your rotation, goes from decently force positive to strongly force negative. If lightning has to interrupt one of its skills to move...it just does so. There's no drawback.
Well, apart from the channel dps being lost if you have to move during a Thundering Blast channel say.

I've found lightning can also suffer from lack of rng procs - i've seen times where 7 or 8 straight lightning strikes fails to proc chain lightning, and with no affiliction crits didn't get barrage either. I don't think I recall a time as madness when wrath has never procced in time for crushing darkness to come on cooldown.

Personally either way, I don't think it makes a while lot of difference, sorc dps a whole needs a buff. I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for a 5% damage increase on death field, chain lightning, force lightning, thundering blast, lightning strike and 10% on dots (affliction, creeping terror, crushing darkness), frankly.

SoonerJBD
11.12.2012 , 09:12 AM | #9
I've found lightning parses higher on the dummy, but madness parses higher on actual raid fights. For all the talk here about lightning parsing better, the vast majority of the top parses from Sorcs and Sages on Torparse are either madness or the madness hybrid. It's a far more popular build for sure.

As for force issues, I generally don't have them with my Sorcerer in a madness build even weaving shock into the rotation during heavy movement. As long as you aren't clipping dots or doing lots of self healing to make up for a bad healer, you shouldn't run into force problems.