Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

An in-depth look at: Force Powers- Battle Meditation

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
An in-depth look at: Force Powers- Battle Meditation

Aurbere
11.09.2012 , 07:10 PM | #1
"Bastila is using her Battle Meditation against us!"- Jedi Master Vandar Tokare

Battle Meditation is one of the most powerful skills a Jedi can learn to use. This power is one of the most powerful skills on record, allowing a Jedi to direct the flow of battle in any way they wish. Battle Meditation is akin to a mass mind trick. Using this ability, a single Jedi can affect the minds of entire armies, forcing enemies to drop their weapons and surrender, or bolstering the morale of allies and crushing it for the enemy.

Using this ability, a powerful user of this ability can completely control the flow of a battle. Creating holes in the enemy's defenses to allow allies to gain victory. This power gives Jedi the ability to control entire fleets through the Force, giving the Jedi unprecidented control over battles. The Jedi would, however, be forced to adapt to incoming enemy reinforcements, which would tax the Jedi's mind greatly. However, a single Jedi using Battle Meditation can turn the tide of war quickly. Such is seen during the Jedi Civil War with the Jedi Bastila Shan. Darth Malak hunted Bastila ferociously, in an attempt to stop her from using her Battle Meditation.

Powerful users of this ability include, but are not limited to, Jedi Master Yoda, Master Thon, Nomi Sunrider, Arca Jeth, Darth Sidious, Bastila Shan and Master Oppo Rancisis.

A question brought up about Bastila's Battle Meditation that I would like to address, which involves her possible use of Battle Meditation to aid Revan in his duel with Malak. My research on this subject proved inconclusive. I will say that it is quite plausible as Bastila could have easily reached out through their Force bond to affect Revan with her Battle Meditation. We know that Bastila was very powerful in the use of Battle Meditation, to the point of directing both sides of the conflict, so it is not out of the question for her to use it on Revan to aid him. She had, after all, just declared her love for him and would no doubt try to help in anyway possible.

The ability to use Battle Meditation has turned the tide of battle throughout history. It is a powerful ability that is very demanding, but the rewards greatly outweigh this.

I hope you enjoyed our look at Battle Meditation. Next it Malacia, one of my favorite powers.

If you have a topic you would like to see in the future, post them below or PM me.
Added Chapter 29 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

Slowpokeking
11.09.2012 , 07:40 PM | #2
But ironically, Bastila Shan herself's mind is weak and got turned by Malak in short time.

Aurbere
11.09.2012 , 07:43 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
But ironically, Bastila Shan herself's mind is weak and got turned by Malak in short time.
True, but that is more about her being headstrong. She was actually very willfull. She did last a good while under near constant torture.

Her ability to use Battle Meditation relied on her willpower, but left her heavily taxed after its use. Hence her capture on Taris.
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

LaniAkavir
11.09.2012 , 07:44 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Aurbere View Post
or bolstering the morale of enemies and crushing it for the enemy.
By bolstering the morale of enemies, you mean it bolsters the morale of allies? Kind of confusing.
Begeren Colony Progression Thread and DPS Leaderboard

Knji
The Medic's Legacy
<Return to Medcenter>

Slowpokeking
11.09.2012 , 07:48 PM | #5
True, but that is more about her being headstrong. She was actually very willfull. She did last a good while under near constant torture.

Her ability to use Battle Meditation relied on her willpower, but left her heavily taxed after its use. Hence her capture on Taris.
Only one week, that's weak as a Jedi, that agent of Normen Karr let Baras failed to even get information from him withous using the ravager.

Aurbere
11.09.2012 , 07:51 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by LaniAkavir View Post
By bolstering the morale of enemies, you mean it bolsters the morale of allies? Kind of confusing.
whoops! Let me fix that lol

EDIT: Fixed! Sorry about that!

Aurbere
11.09.2012 , 07:58 PM | #7
Only one week, that's weak as a Jedi, that agent of Normen Karr let Baras failed to even get information from him withous using the ravager.
True, but that agent was trained to resist torture by the Sith. Bastila was not.

I guess you could call it a plot hole since it takes great mental control to use Battle Meditation. I don't think Bastila's Battle Meditation was as advanced as Yoda's or Sidious' though.

EDIT: I should note that Battle Meditation's abilities vary. Whether you use it to bolster your allies resolve or crush the resolve of your enemies. You can use it to influence the minds of the enemy or to direct the flow of battle. I believe Bastila used it to increase and decrease the morale of her allies and enemies respectively. I consider this the easiest and most practical use of it.

MasterMe
11.09.2012 , 08:13 PM | #8
Great read. This really is a powerful ability.

I don't think, however, that Bastila's use of this ability would have aided Revan in his duel with Malak. You said it yourself that battle meditation is kinda like large-scale mind trick. If this is the case, then it wouldn't have effected force users, which makes since.

I'd bet that a Jedi would have to be naturally very intelligent to be able to influence ALL those minds at the same time. I'd bet that's why so few Jedi can use battle meditation.

Slowpokeking
11.09.2012 , 08:15 PM | #9
True, but that agent was trained to resist torture by the Sith. Bastila was not.

I guess you could call it a plot hole since it takes great mental control to use Battle Meditation. I don't think Bastila's Battle Meditation was as advanced as Yoda's or Sidious' though.
Jedi was also trained to resist the Dark Side.

Aurbere
11.09.2012 , 08:17 PM | #10
Jedi was also trained to resist the Dark Side.
True, but Bastila was under torture for about a week. Nomen Karr's agent was under torture for most likely a day or less.