Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Bioware's Plans for Operatives

Chiltonium
11.10.2012 , 02:00 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by chuixupu View Post
^ True.

You like playing operatives and you know how to min/max your stats and play it well, you'll be fine. The problem comes down to a pug group asking what classes they want, and if you look at utility, dps operatives just don't have anything that makes you feel like you NEED them . But they aren't the only class that has that complaint. They've got a bad rap because they ttend to parse a bit below others of equal gearing, and that causes people to get overly dramatic about it and declare they're "useless" and "garbage". People like being chart toppers.

As for future plans, we know we're getting new abilities, most likely with the level cap, so hopefully they're hard at work getting some real pve balance for operatives (I can dream?)
Is why I never wanted dps meters in tor -_-

you could kill a boss fine with the same 16 people as you could before, only now its like ZOMG UR DEEPS IS SO LOW U R GONE.

Nothing changed, but everything changed. However in operatives case their DPS did get pooped on. The reason we dont have a lot of utility, is because our DPS used to be massive. Before the backstab nerf, acid blade was only down for 2 seconds instead of 6 (its now down the full duration of one of its applications!), And pretty much every ability we have used to hit harder.

So they took our damage, gave it + survival abilities to sins, gave us jack crap, and sent us on our merry way.
Leathality Operative and Hatred (Madness) Assassin for 5 years running.

My referral link for those who'd like some free sub time!
http://www.swtor.com/r/mlytxl

chuixupu
11.10.2012 , 02:47 PM | #12
Yep. I do understand that it was a bit OP in PVP. All my friends who were doing PVP in the early days were scared silly of Operatives to the point of frustration. But you know what, I think all of them would take those days back before all the changes they did over time.

They have a chance to turn things around. I remember how bad feral druids were in WoW in the beginning. and they were really bad, much worse than the state of operatives, but they figured out how to make them awesome.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

Chiltonium
11.10.2012 , 04:58 PM | #13
Yep. I do understand that it was a bit OP in PVP. All my friends who were doing PVP in the early days were scared silly of Operatives to the point of frustration. But you know what, I think all of them would take those days back before all the changes they did over time.

They have a chance to turn things around. I remember how bad feral druids were in WoW in the beginning. and they were really bad, much worse than the state of operatives, but they figured out how to make them awesome.
They fixed everything people were crying about in the first round of nerfs. And it needed it badly, Jarring strike knocked people down for 3 seconds, and with hidden strike hitting for 6k, you had plenty of time to kill them before they stood up. Acid Blade was 50% armor penn as well, so they'd literally die on the ground.

They nerfed jarring strike to 1.5 (shorter than spike!) then nerfed hidden strike damage 20%, then nerfed acid blade armor pen to 30%.

I was like MAN that sucks, but thats okay, we needed it, and we're in line now.

Then....more nerfs. Why? I haven't the foggiest.
Leathality Operative and Hatred (Madness) Assassin for 5 years running.

My referral link for those who'd like some free sub time!
http://www.swtor.com/r/mlytxl

chuixupu
11.10.2012 , 07:14 PM | #14
Yeah, they really didn't need to increase the backstab cooldown. I think with the Acid Blade nerf they should have increased its duration a bit, or at least increased the dot damage portion.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

warultima
11.10.2012 , 09:35 PM | #15
Yeah, they really didn't need to increase the backstab cooldown. I think with the Acid Blade nerf they should have increased its duration a bit, or at least increased the dot damage portion.
Back Stab should be 6s CD, it makes sense because it is the "ONLY" attack that can apply acid blade while in combat, and acid blade takes 6 seconds to finish ticking.

It will help a bit especially in PvE dps.
| Lv50 Madness Sorc | Lv50 Annihilation Marauder |
| Lv50 Pyrotech Power Tech | Lv50 Medicine Operative |
| Lv50 Sharpshooter Gunslinger | Lv 26 Darkness Assassin |

Sanctioned
11.14.2012 , 01:36 PM | #16
Killing people during the KD duration of jarring strike was not a regular and, importantly, reliable occurence in all situations. There were many factors involved including undergeared opponents, simply unprepared PVPers, and well-prepared Operatives. Especially the min/maxers that took every consumeable items and buffs with them. After the use of consumeables during PVP were adjusted, the nerfs really should have stopped and the situation re-evaluated.
(Black Vulkars) Bastion: Dregs - 50 Operative , Dresni - 50 Assassin Fapmonster - 50 Vanguard
Shadowfire: Dregs - Spy | Ryuten - MPowers/MLS
Flurry: Ryushi - Rifleman/Creature Handler

randiesel
11.16.2012 , 01:48 PM | #17
I remember the old quote about ops stunning too much and too high crit dmg which would cause ppl to quit.

Now we're nerfed to the ground and there are nothing but idiots smashing all over like its going out of style, and coordinating mez cooldowns to keep entire groups stunned for longer.

The irony is too much to bear. Almost as funny as the thought of a concealment operative.

Sir_Galapagos
11.19.2012 , 08:34 PM | #18
not only are operatives the most gear dependent class they earn comms to get gear slower because they aren't putting out big numbers (not that they are usless).
]█=]]]]]]▒▒▒{█=████████████████████████████████)

Coldin
11.21.2012 , 01:09 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Sanctioned View Post
Killing people during the KD duration of jarring strike was not a regular and, importantly, reliable occurence in all situations. There were many factors involved including undergeared opponents, simply unprepared PVPers, and well-prepared Operatives. Especially the min/maxers that took every consumeable items and buffs with them. After the use of consumeables during PVP were adjusted, the nerfs really should have stopped and the situation re-evaluated.
Yep. Once consumables and warzone buff stacking was removed, Operatives were sitting among pretty much everyone else in terms of potency. Could hit hard some of the time, and could hold their own a bit if caught out of stealth. But not even one week into the consumable nerf, Operative DPS took a heavy hit. Really, it might have all been fine if they left Acid Blade alone. Losing 20% to armor pen hurt the worst.

Ahebish
11.21.2012 , 07:54 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by warultima View Post
Operative is far from useless. You will do very well as an operative healer in both PvP and PvE. And if you dont mind being as slightly gimped version DPS compare to premium DPS ACs like marauders and such you can also do fine as DPS. You just cant go derpaderpa and expect to be successful like smashmonkeys or pyro PT.
He said concealment learn to read.

People like you are the ones giving mis information about this class.

Heal spec is overpowered in PVP... and useful in PVE

DPS spec is barely playable in PVP, and worthless in PVE. If you aren't a veteran of the DPS spec like me or others I know of.. you will be VERY hard pressed to make it work for you in PVP without asking for advice from one of us.... And don't even think of bringing up 10-49 PVP... that isn't PVP or even remotely close to it.

There is a joke among real concealments: "Those who can play concealment played concealment from the start. The rest are Heal spec'd."