Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Merc healer, trouble on TFB HM

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Merc healer, trouble on TFB HM

Exiled-Phoenix
11.09.2012 , 12:16 PM | #1
Hey fellow healers.

I come here with a small problem i have.
Our guilds main healers are a full campaign Operative and Sorc.
For long time now my alt (merc healer) has been the only back up we had.
Its fully geared in campaign/black hole and i do mean everything.

But the problem now is we do TFB HM and...if we don't have a sorc, all AoE healing has to come from me (since people say Operatives AoE heal sucks)
First boss and kephess arn't a problem, havn't done the color/puzzle or last boss on healer yet. (like i said i'm an alt healer)

Most problem seems to come from the second encounter with the dread guards.
With an operative healer with me it always takes a few wipes simply because we cant keep up with the healing.
I am capable, not the best of all but i have healer every Ops so far on HM with variation of co healers, either class or person playing it.
So i have not been carried in the past sort to speak.

With the dread guards being a trio, we have 2 tanks to heal and dps who take dmg from the third.
do-able untill the lighting cast starts, raid takes 1k dmg ticks and gets a 5-7k blow to the face to finish.
We only allow the cast to happen once because healers can't keep up if a second cast starts and people get 1k ticks again.
usually i'm able to recover from this (meaning ppl get healed and my heat management is ok)
Second boss however seems to hit like a truck on the tanks and dps are getting healed quite slow due to lack of good HoT/AoE.
If we get past the second boss we are usually safe on terms of healing, but the period on the second boss seems to be the hardest due to people either being on low HP and healers being low/high on resource.

Like i said tho, we seem to lack a sorc AoE on that part and my merc AoE heal cant keep up.
I use a rakata stim/adrenal/medpack and time my vent heat ability to be at a good time.
I use CGS almost everytime i have 30 stacks, not sure what i can do more.

Any advice?

Akam
11.09.2012 , 12:43 PM | #2
It could be any number of things but to be honest, if done properly, dreadguards is an easy fight and tanks shouldn't be taking all that much damage.

Look through your combat logs for the following answers to these questions;

1) Did Kel'sara/Heirad receive Blood Vengeance
2) Did your tanks ever receive 6+ stacks of the debuff

I
The Chandrian
Bodyguard Mercenary
5/5 HM Ravagers | 5/5 HM ToS

From Beyond | Dragonslayer | Gatecrasher | Deposer of Dreadmasters

Exiled-Phoenix
11.09.2012 , 01:32 PM | #3
I don't particulary have time to go through combat logs
I know tanks switch on time when it comes to stacks.
My main is a DPS tho so i'm not all familiar with all the debuffs that affect tanks, what is blood vengance?

OMGitsCHARLIE
11.09.2012 , 01:41 PM | #4
I've been dying to try these fights out on my healer alt (commando) as well. The only thing I could possible think of (assuming you know your class well ) is when the phase starts, pop CGS and kolto missle (for the dmg reduction buff) on the biggest clump of people, pop your shield and spam heals. I spec for the uninterruptable shield so I have no knockback on my casts. Vent heat and your set. This should help you recover faster to focus on heals on the tanks for phase 2.

NoFishing
11.09.2012 , 02:02 PM | #5
I disagree about the operative/scoundrel AoE heal sucking...it certainly doesn't suck any worse than commando/merc AoE. It is targeted to a player, instead of ground targeted, and is an HoT that the target and nearby players take with them, rather than being an instant. They have probably gotten the idea that it sucks only by comparison with the sage/sorc AoE, which is just completely OP. Bottom line is relying on you for all AoE healing is just stupid...your operative needs to suck it up and find their AoE button as well.

Unfortunately I still found the dread guard to be ridiculously hard fight on my commando healer...it basically feels like one wrong move, one missed heal, or one mistake pushing my ammo too low, would result in a wipe. Like you, I'm a backup healer, but my guild's main healer swapped out their commando main for their scoundrel alt as a result of that fight...the main raid group now consists of 2 scoundrel healers.

I'd love to hear of a raid clearing the dread guard on hard mode with two commando/merc healers, or even see a parse of it, cause I'm just not sure it's possible.

Exiled-Phoenix
11.09.2012 , 02:09 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by NoFishing View Post
I disagree about the operative/scoundrel AoE heal sucking...it certainly doesn't suck any worse than commando/merc AoE. It is targeted to a player, instead of ground targeted, and is an HoT that the target and nearby players take with them, rather than being an instant. They have probably gotten the idea that it sucks only by comparison with the sage/sorc AoE, which is just completely OP. Bottom line is relying on you for all AoE healing is just stupid...your operative needs to suck it up and find their AoE button as well.

Unfortunately I still found the dread guard to be ridiculously hard fight on my commando healer...it basically feels like one wrong move, one missed heal, or one mistake pushing my ammo too low, would result in a wipe. Like you, I'm a backup healer, but my guild's main healer swapped out their commando main for their scoundrel alt as a result of that fight...the main raid group now consists of 2 scoundrel healers.

I'd love to hear of a raid clearing the dread guard on hard mode with two commando/merc healers, or even see a parse of it, cause I'm just not sure it's possible.
Ironic because our guild wont risk it with 2 operative healers.
Next time we raid i'll make sure i have agreements with my co healer and the tanks in regarding to blood vengeance.

OMGitsCHARLIE
11.09.2012 , 03:00 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by NoFishing View Post
Not me or my guild but a video that I found: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbZgQqQ38gk

My guild kill (with two scoundrel healers): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyY4fJCTXF8

Chaqen
11.09.2012 , 03:36 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Exiled-Phoenix View Post
Ironic because our guild wont risk it with 2 operative healers.
Next time we raid i'll make sure i have agreements with my co healer and the tanks in regarding to blood vengeance.
Been doing it with a raid group with 2 OP healers since it been released. I have also done it with a op/sorc combo as well.

The key thing i have noticed is to avoid stacking completely in the center, less people that get hit by chain lightening the better. Another thing to make sure of is that people are using some sort of cool down to mitigate some of the damage from lightening storm, as well as med pack.

Damage in the 2nd and 3rd phase is very tamed if people are playing smartly, or it can be very devastating if people are playing like idiots. In the 2nd phase people need to be aware if they are going to drop a green circle and make sure not to put it in a place where others will be effected, tanks need to be aware where the green circles are as well and position the mob for melee dps will always have a safe spot to stand and to drop. 3rd phase requires range dps/heals to be spread out to make sure multiple dont get the dot, as well as a burst dps to be in position to kill the caster add (the one that casts mass affliction) at 75,50,25%.

2 Merc healers should be able to heal the encounter, but it will be dependent on the other members of the raid are playing smartly.

NoFishing
11.09.2012 , 04:52 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by OMGitsCHARLIE View Post
Not me or my guild but a video that I found: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbZgQqQ38gk
Nice...But that looked really really hairy. I'd have to give mad props to those CMs for being so disciplined in their ammo management given where those health bars were at occasionally.

By comparison your guild's kill looked much more manageable. Watching the health bars, there really wasn't a point when I thought you were on the verge of wiping due to the healers running out of heals.

OMGitsCHARLIE
11.09.2012 , 06:05 PM | #10
Yeah that video was our 2nd kill i think. We have had the whole op on farm for the past couple weeks now, one shotting the raid twice now. Definitely doable with two scoundrel/op healers. Commando medics are pretty good in this raid as the fights call for some heavy single target heals.