Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Give the Gift of STAR WARS™: The Old Republic™

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Give the Gift of STAR WARS™: The Old Republic™
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

AdmiralSquid
12.21.2011 , 09:29 PM | #21
It amuses me that they've put up a marketing web page telling us to "Give the gift of SWTOR"... and then offer no explanation as to how you can buy this game as a gift. "Available at select retailers..." is a pretty limp sales pitch when I'm already on the web and could easily be given a link.

I suspect the truth is that EA has completely stripped "Gifting" from the Origin store because they couldn't do it right. The Google search results about buying gifts on Origin lead to dead pages. It took Valve a while to get gifting right on Steam (I complained to them multiple times about it), but now they've perfected it and I suspect they generate a LOT of gift sales.

I guess the only way to give this game as a gift is to buy a physical copy. Thus the "at select retailers" line. I tried ordering a copy on Origin but the entire checkout process was clearly geared exclusively to buying a copy for myself; I already have one.

djsmileey
12.21.2011 , 09:34 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by AdmiralSquid View Post
It amuses me that they've put up a marketing web page telling us to "Give the gift of SWTOR"... and then offer no explanation as to how you can buy this game as a gift. "Available at select retailers..." is a pretty limp sales pitch when I'm already on the web and could easily be given a link.

I suspect the truth is that EA has completely stripped "Gifting" from the Origin store because they couldn't do it right. The Google search results about buying gifts on Origin lead to dead pages. It took Valve a while to get gifting right on Steam (I complained to them multiple times about it), but now they've perfected it and I suspect they generate a LOT of gift sales.

I guess the only way to give this game as a gift is to buy a physical copy. Thus the "at select retailers" line. I tried ordering a copy on Origin but the entire checkout process was clearly geared exclusively to buying a copy for myself; I already have one.
You are over thinking it champ!

Summerwine
12.23.2011 , 09:54 AM | #23
I wanted to give all my grandchildren the gift of SWTOR. However I can buy the game, but nobody has time cards. So without a time card, the game cannot be activated, even tho the first 30 days are "free". So I guess i will get them something else.

Jett-Rinn
12.23.2011 , 09:56 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by AdmiralSquid View Post

To be honest that's all they can say. I know it's sold out at many retailers in the UK and my local gamestop currently has a waiting list when stock comes back in. Despite all the crying the game is flying off the shelf's.
Remember kids say anything remotely positive about SWTOR and you're automatically labeled a Bioware employee.

Shoxc
12.23.2011 , 10:06 AM | #25
The sarcasm is strong with this thread.

Darth_Eclipses
12.23.2011 , 10:13 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by djsmileey View Post
[COLOR="Yellow"][B][SIZE="3"]

B) Give up trying SO HARD to play on the server that is FULL. Try an empty one.
Your really don't have a clue what the hell you're talking about - do you?

Most of the people on full servers were put there by BioWare - and now after leveling characters and beginning to form server identities they're being told to re-roll there by the very same company due to something they started.

And their complaining is unfounded because...?

To BW: Looks like the people have spoken.

Kiragrim
12.23.2011 , 10:48 AM | #27
Yeah... My wife bought it for me for Christmas, but of course, I didn't know. I went ahead and bought it digital download. Man, was she, um... exceptionally angry... when she saw me playing it!

Lesson learned: Either don't buy games for someone fully capable of buying them himself. OR... Don't get married if you are a gamer! =P

Jett-Rinn
12.23.2011 , 10:51 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Kiragrim View Post
Yeah... My wife bought it for me for Christmas, but of course, I didn't know. I went ahead and bought it digital download. Man, was she, um... exceptionally angry... when she saw me playing it!

Lesson learned: Either don't buy games for someone fully capable of buying them himself. OR... Don't get married if you are a gamer! =P
Or marry a gamer.

My wife and I have wish lists on several different stores that saves a lot of getting the wrong gift or re-buying.
Remember kids say anything remotely positive about SWTOR and you're automatically labeled a Bioware employee.

cavan
02.08.2012 , 12:53 AM | #29
Ok so this is the thread that even Google lists.

And yes, I was trying to buy the game for another person.

Origin sucks. Just get this on Steam and make my life easy, please and thank you.

salvadorellama
02.08.2012 , 12:59 AM | #30
I wouldn't recommend this broken travesty of a game to someone I didn't like, much less my friends.

I play because I'm severely injured and stuck in workers compensation hell with a lot of free time.

If you want people to play, fix your game. Take some time to read some of your customers threads if you can't figure out what's screwed up.

No offense, your devs tried, but failed by spending too much time doing voiceacting and too much time making the Imperials a better faction (in some cases, including aesthetics and slow abilities for the Republics like project and any scattergun ability).
A mime is a terrible thing to baste.