Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

$10-$15 for armor sets/crystals? Really?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
$10-$15 for armor sets/crystals? Really?

Knockerz
11.08.2012 , 08:00 PM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by PoliteAssasin View Post
The prices for items on the cartel market is just way too high. Do you really expect people to pay ten to fifteen dollars for an armor set or color crystals? These prices need to be somewhat reduced. The cartel conversion from cash to cc is fine, but lower the price of actual armor sets and crystals a bit.
It's not high enough, try 300-600 dollars for a mount in wow from the card game. SWTOR needs some thing similar.
Fiery the angels fell; deep thunder rolled around their shores; burning with the fires of Orc

BadOrb
11.08.2012 , 08:18 PM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by Tim-ONeil View Post
I'm shocked people still believe this. We've been told about a major content expansion, new PVP warzone, and a revamped Ilum hitting within the next 3 months or so. Just choosing to ignore this because they are supplementing their revenue with the cartel shop seems like a knee jerk reaction.

The reason it's taking significant resources right now is because they had to build the functionality of the cartel shop from the ground up. Now that the frame work is in place adding items is simple. A re-textured speeder, a re-coloring of an existing armor model, that doesn't take much to implement going forward. Anything new created for the store is paid for many times over by the revenue it brings in.

The dev team is active and will remain so as long as they hit their revenue goals. Creating new content to sustain the business is a given.

The deeper fear for you should be this. If this game can't survive with the 2nd largest subscriber base prior to F2P then the whole industry is in trouble. It's been a trend for a while now. Open an MMO, steal players from other games, bleed them out short term, and scatter the MMO players over a larger number of games reducing revenue for any specific one.

We are already saw what happened at Turbine when they lost about half lost their players when SWTOR opened, they haven't recovered from it and the downsizing is happening now. If SWTOR dies, the future of the MMO industry does too because funding for these type of games will dry up. Elder Scrolls will be the last big AAA game before Titan. If they both fail... get used to indie releases in the MMO space.
You are correct here , also the market as a whole is a lot smaller than it used to be ( it will grow again don't worry people ) , less money etc. So yeah there are 2 other games to mention EQ next and Destiny but still not many and look at diablo 3 still has no pvp , not sure about guild wars 2 but i'm sure its not as mega populated as it was the first week.

So I agree this will keep swtor at no.2 in the mmo market for now , but it will be no. 1 in the freemium market fairly quickly i should imagine.

Cheers,

BadOrb.
'Ah you think micro transactions are your ally ? The DLC betrays you because it belongs to me , when your home world is monetized , you have my permission to buy'.
"Oh goody. Lord Douchebag McFuzzlebunny can now be related to me if he see's my legacy name and decides he likes it." quote from Selvec 09/06/12

Knightsire
11.08.2012 , 08:31 PM | #33
Sometimes there are sales too...for buying coins or discounted items. It would be appropriate for black friday, but they might not the first year. Although, a sale might generate more revenue if they did something like a grand opening sale in time for the holidays.

Blackavaar
11.08.2012 , 08:42 PM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by Knightsire View Post
Sometimes there are sales too...for buying coins or discounted items. It would be appropriate for black friday, but they might not the first year. Although, a sale might generate more revenue if they did something like a grand opening sale in time for the holidays.
I don't know about most of you but to me a Sale should make a reasonably priced item into a deal. It should not be needed to make an unreasonably priced item reasonable.

Only the meek get pinched. The bold survive.(███████████████████████████████████║║█[Θ]█]◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙[█]

GavinPatterson
11.08.2012 , 08:57 PM | #35
i remember in sto - a star ship was something like 28$ ....and i bought it...kinda liked it.....now they don't sell them.
Anyways the only thing that really adjust's is how much i go out and spend on coffee :P
Barsen'thor; Jedi Master, Council member, mender of the rift and master of hidden knowledge

JLazarillo
11.08.2012 , 09:03 PM | #36
The prices aren't what gets me, per se. There's not much in the store to use my points on, anyway.
However, I can't say I'm eager about armor sets that I won't be able to use until I'm halfway done (or more) with a given character.

Xezkaiel
11.08.2012 , 09:15 PM | #37
Ppl will pay. Ppl would pay 15$ on WoW for a stupid little kung fu panda pet that followed u around going HIIIIIIYA!

I am sure 15$ is a bargain for things that are actually useful....-_-
Nos-Redna Sunshatter: Miraluka Shield Tech Powertech
Xothrim Sunshatter: Cyborg Madness Sorcerer

Knockerz
11.08.2012 , 09:32 PM | #38
Quote: Originally Posted by BadOrb View Post
You are correct here , also the market as a whole is a lot smaller than it used to be ( it will grow again don't worry people ) , less money etc. So yeah there are 2 other games to mention EQ next and Destiny but still not many and look at diablo 3 still has no pvp , not sure about guild wars 2 but i'm sure its not as mega populated as it was the first week.

So I agree this will keep swtor at no.2 in the mmo market for now , but it will be no. 1 in the freemium market fairly quickly i should imagine.

Cheers,

BadOrb.
II doubt it Diablo 3 will ever have pvp. Basically, since the game tank in terms of retaining players, there is little incentive for Blizzard to invest heavily in Diablo 3. The only thing good about Diablo 3 for Blizzard it was a very effective cash grabbed, but that's about it.
Fiery the angels fell; deep thunder rolled around their shores; burning with the fires of Orc

Marak
11.08.2012 , 09:50 PM | #39
The price points are fair.

I'm more than willing to pay for cool stuff that in the end supports our game.
Cag - Juggernaut | V'ae - Sorcerer | V'ay - Mercenary
<The Jyse Legacy (50)> | Jedi Covenant
Aenik - Assassin | Vhay - Operative | K'rie - Sniper | Vhae - Marauder

Zaxem
11.08.2012 , 10:53 PM | #40
Quote: Originally Posted by Marak View Post
The price points are fair.

I'm more than willing to pay for cool stuff that in the end supports our game.
I agree with what marak said they prices are fine especially if you are a sub getting 500 points a month makes it even cheaper if you save up and don't spend them right away
Peace is a lie, there is only passion.-Through passion, I gain strength.Through strength, I gain power.Through power, I gain victory.Through victory, my chains are broken.The Force shall free me 55 Juggernaut55 Assassin 50 Sniper 55 Mercenary50 Guardian55 Marauder