Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

$10-$15 for armor sets/crystals? Really?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
$10-$15 for armor sets/crystals? Really?

CelCawdro
11.08.2012 , 06:44 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Alec_Fortescue View Post
And nobody said that CC items will not be seasonal!
Actually, that's precisely what they've said. Limited time items aren't on the table at the moment, but will be considered for the future. Note the most recent investor Q&A.

Stenrik
11.08.2012 , 06:45 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Mowermanx View Post
The only thing I'm upset about, is that there's not 300+ orange sets of armor for sale...
Patience, young padawan...
But yeah I know what you mean, too many reskinned versions of armor on there and not as much unique stuff as I'd hoped. But I have a feeling they'll be rolling a lot more out at a rapid pace. From my cash shop experience, putting new stuff in the shop gives them an excuse to write about it and link to the shop, so it doesn't just seem like generic promotion. "Check out the shop to see what new stuff we added" sounds less obnoxious than "Check out our shop!"

Also, I think some of that seems kinda high too, but I can understand why.
Because: Many people coming into this will have a lot of CC to spend. If everyone buys the same "exclusive" items, they'll seem less desirable ingame. How cool is it to have a rare/uncommon crystal if everyone else has one?

CelCawdro
11.08.2012 , 06:49 PM | #23
Direct quote and source:
Quote:
Limited time or seasonal Cartel Market items are something they're considering but can't commit to at this time.

Stenrik
11.08.2012 , 06:53 PM | #24
I HATE when they do crap like this "limited/seasonal item" business. "Get it now because it'll never, ever come back, so you gotta pay NOW or never!" They really know how to play to those who like to collect stuff. I really help Bioware holds off on that one.

Andryah
11.08.2012 , 06:59 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Tim-ONeil View Post
This is the price of vanity in a game. I'm vain and I have disposable income.
Tim wins the thread.

Believe me, a lot of the people that are upset about this will be purchasing the items themselves... and no one will know but Bioware and them. Anonymity allows them to be able to continue the crusade without being publicly compromised on their position.
Yep yep.
Forum disputatio ------> est completum ineptias.

Eillack
11.08.2012 , 07:00 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Alec_Fortescue View Post
I don't intend to buy anything from the cartel shop (signature). The prices are ridiculous and I will only spend my CC grant to get the hood down armor for my Jedi.
Cool story?
With unity, comes strength...with strength, comes power...with power...comes obedience.....
CE Owner '09 Account
Quote: Originally Posted by BruceMaclean View Post
..I think it's ultimately our fault for not communicating enough.

Schwerpunkt
11.08.2012 , 07:04 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by CelCawdro View Post
Actually, that's precisely what they've said. Limited time items aren't on the table at the moment, but will be considered for the future. Note the most recent investor Q&A.
Yes it's something they admit they are talking about but haven't made any decisions to adding to the cash shop. At some point in the future they may decide to start adding seasonal items.
CE Player In the ongoing battle between Good and Evil, Evil has more fun.

arunav
11.08.2012 , 07:07 PM | #28
I'm shocked people still believe this. We've been told about a major content expansion, new PVP warzone, and a revamped Ilum hitting within the next 3 months or so. Just choosing to ignore this because they are supplementing their revenue with the cartel shop seems like a knee jerk reaction.

The reason it's taking significant resources right now is because they had to build the functionality of the cartel shop from the ground up. Now that the frame work is in place adding items is simple. A re-textured speeder, a re-coloring of an existing armor model, that doesn't take much to implement going forward. Anything new created for the store is paid for many times over by the revenue it brings in.

The dev team is active and will remain so as long as they hit their revenue goals. Creating new content to sustain the business is a given.

The deeper fear for you should be this. If this game can't survive with the 2nd largest subscriber base prior to F2P then the whole industry is in trouble. It's been a trend for a while now. Open an MMO, steal players from other games, bleed them out short term, and scatter the MMO players over a larger number of games reducing revenue for any specific one.

We are already saw what happened at Turbine when they lost about half lost their players when SWTOR opened, they haven't recovered from it and the downsizing is happening now. If SWTOR dies, the future of the MMO industry does too because funding for these type of games will dry up. Elder Scrolls will be the last big AAA game before Titan. If they both fail... get used to indie releases in the MMO space.
I hope you're correct. I think this game is great, and really want to see it expand in the future.

Regarding upcoming content, however: most of what you've referred to was already in the making and planned for release. The new WZ, for example, has been finished for some time, and, if SWTOR had been more successful, would have been released with the accompanying operation. Instead, we are receiving it months later, essentially to "save up" content to release. We still don't know what the Ilum revamp really is, a one off event or a systemic change to make it actually possible to functionally participate in open world PvP there.

What I was referring to in my post is what happens when the content that was already in the works earlier in 2012, including Makeb, dries up? What is planned for, what is now in the making, and how much future content is in limbo, based on the financial reality SWTOR finds itself in?

In his recent post to the community, even Jeff Hickman writes that some staff have left the studio because working on a F2P SWTOR wasn't what they wanted to do. What precisely will be so different that folks would abandon a title they previously enjoyed working on?

I don't think even EA knows where exactly they are going with SWTOR yet. It depends on how well F2P goes.

Tim-ONeil
11.08.2012 , 07:26 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by arunav View Post
I hope you're correct. I think this game is great, and really want to see it expand in the future.

Regarding upcoming content, however: most of what you've referred to was already in the making and planned for release. The new WZ, for example, has been finished for some time, and, if SWTOR had been more successful, would have been released with the accompanying operation. Instead, we are receiving it months later, essentially to "save up" content to release. We still don't know what the Ilum revamp really is, a one off event or a systemic change to make it actually possible to functionally participate in open world PvP there.

What I was referring to in my post is what happens when the content that was already in the works earlier in 2012, including Makeb, dries up? What is planned for, what is now in the making, and how much future content is in limbo, based on the financial reality SWTOR finds itself in?

In his recent post to the community, even Jeff Hickman writes that some staff have left the studio because working on a F2P SWTOR wasn't what they wanted to do. What precisely will be so different that folks would abandon a title they previously enjoyed working on?

I don't think even EA knows where exactly they are going with SWTOR yet. It depends on how well F2P goes.
They've never given us any information on things that have not been solidly locked down. There's no reason to think that lack of information means lack of planning. We didn't know about Makeb until a few months ago but that's been in the works for a while given the size of the expected content and voice work that needs to be done.

Internally they have a plan, it will be altered if goals aren't met but all MMO's have plans for the future and design documents ready to go for each step. We are just along for the ride and I hope it's a good one, there's so much potential here.
Jainā Tīm Korben Leeloo
Thana Maleficent Thrawn Dr. Horrible
The Dallas Legacy Server: Jedi Covenent US/EAST

BadOrb
11.08.2012 , 07:47 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Damask_Rose View Post
After seeing the prices of some of the pay to play games on the iPad and the "extras" in free to plays, I'm not surprised at all. It's 5-10 dollars for 1 decoration in Smurf Village that I play with my son. When I cruise through other people's villages, some have clearly spent $100s just to decorate.
I believe this person has won the thread well before Tim , unless that's a personal battle , anyways I was disheartened when I realised that the 150 cc and 325 cc armors where chest plates only god , so yeah $10 -$15 equals to the total amount of on yer bike!

Legacy ship unlocks FTW or for the worth it ?

Cheers,

BadOrb.
'Ah you think micro transactions are your ally ? The DLC betrays you because it belongs to me , when your home world is monetized , you have my permission to buy'.
"Oh goody. Lord Douchebag McFuzzlebunny can now be related to me if he see's my legacy name and decides he likes it." quote from Selvec 09/06/12