Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

This is what the devs said about mercs.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Commando / Mercenary
This is what the devs said about mercs.

Individual's Avatar


Individual
11.08.2012 , 12:45 PM | #1
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=548897

QUOTE=AllisonBerryman;5350215]Hi everyone! I talked to Austin Peckenpaugh (Senior Designer) about Commandos and Mercenaries and their situation in PvP right now, and he had this to say:

I think it's fair to say that Mercenaries and Commandos have escape issues. Admittedly, they can be very hard to catch when used correctly to hug corners, but a lot of that "escapability" falls aside when attacked by multiple melee enemies, at which point they just aren't quite tough enough to sustain without further escapes. We have plans for the future that should give Mercenaries and Commandos better escapes in PvP.
[/QUOTE]

I don't know if any of you follow the pvp threads, but I strongly urge you to go voice your thoughts on this issue. Clearly the devs just want us to be targets for other DPS classes with no means of being able to fight back or doing the same DPS as the other classes currently. Please don't post responses here. This is to urge to post in the other thread.

ZeroPlus's Avatar


ZeroPlus
11.08.2012 , 01:33 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Individual View Post
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=548897

Quote: Originally Posted by AllisonBerryman View Post
Hi everyone! I talked to Austin Peckenpaugh (Senior Designer) about Commandos and Mercenaries and their situation in PvP right now, and he had this to say:

I think it's fair to say that Mercenaries and Commandos have escape issues. Admittedly, they can be very hard to catch when used correctly to hug corners, but a lot of that "escapability" falls aside when attacked by multiple melee enemies, at which point they just aren't quite tough enough to sustain without further escapes. We have plans for the future that should give Mercenaries and Commandos better escapes in PvP.
I don't know if any of you follow the pvp threads, but I strongly urge you to go voice your thoughts on this issue. Clearly the devs just want us to be targets for other DPS classes with no means of being able to fight back or doing the same DPS as the other classes currently. Please don't post responses here. This is to urge to post in the other thread.
Wow.

How do you go from reading:
"yes, they have problems right now and we have plans to fix it"
to understanding:
"Clearly the devs just want us to be targets for other DPS classes with no means of being able to fight back or doing the same DPS as the other classes currently."?

It boggles the mind.
If you seek answers, you must always ask questions. - Master Vandar Tokare.

[Suggestion] Add another Blaster Pistol with the "A-300 Heavy Sonic Needler" model = DONE!

Demonsong's Avatar


Demonsong
11.08.2012 , 07:17 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by ZeroPlus View Post
Wow.

How do you go from reading:
"yes, they have problems right now and we have plans to fix it"
to understanding:
"Clearly the devs just want us to be targets for other DPS classes with no means of being able to fight back or doing the same DPS as the other classes currently."?

It boggles the mind.
The only thing here that boggles the mind is your response. Austin's response was ridicules. Mercenaries and Commandos and dead meat in PVP. They don't have minor escape issues they are broken. They are "hard to catch when used correctly to hug corners",... what a freaking joke.

Hey Austin meet me in a WZ some time and watch me kill any Merc and / or Commando one on one, every time.

You both need to get a clue.
Quote: Originally Posted by TheronFett View Post
You must be new here. BioWare doesn't provide feedback to its customers.
Quote: Originally Posted by Janglor View Post
I concur, if you play stealth you probably abuse animals and dont use your turn signal.

verfallen's Avatar


verfallen
11.08.2012 , 09:15 PM | #4
Dear developper,

Buff paper, nerf scissors. Rock is fine.

Paper

Phasersablaze's Avatar


Phasersablaze
11.09.2012 , 02:07 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by verfallen View Post
Dear developper,

Buff paper, nerf scissors. Rock is fine.

Paper
Stupid post

ZeroPlus's Avatar


ZeroPlus
11.09.2012 , 03:28 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Demonsong View Post
The only thing here that boggles the mind is your response. Austin's response was ridicules. Mercenaries and Commandos and dead meat in PVP. They don't have minor escape issues they are broken. They are "hard to catch when used correctly to hug corners",... what a freaking joke.

Hey Austin meet me in a WZ some time and watch me kill any Merc and / or Commando one on one, every time.

You both need to get a clue.
I never said we were fine.

I was commenting on Individual's understanding of what was said. If he had simply said:
Quote:
I don't know if any of you follow the pvp threads, but I strongly urge you to go voice your thoughts on this issue. Please don't post responses here. This is to urge to post in the other thread.
that would have been fine. I agree that we should go add constructive comments to the original thread.

Individual's comment was anything but that.
If you seek answers, you must always ask questions. - Master Vandar Tokare.

[Suggestion] Add another Blaster Pistol with the "A-300 Heavy Sonic Needler" model = DONE!

verfallen's Avatar


verfallen
11.09.2012 , 04:06 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Phasersablaze View Post
Stupid post
I don't deny it.

But I look around the PvP forum and this, and the "request" of mercs/commando to "fix" this current situation are plain ridiculous.

-Shields
-tons of roots
-insta-cast on a crapload of abilities (which btw, would mess up dps bad)
-total immunity to interrupt with 5 stack of power barrier (which means total immunity point)
-Add a sprint with that will you? thx!


you can have different way to deal with melee. I'll admit I think the modification to rocket punch/shockstrike was very dumb. Unload to be uninterruptible? Definitely, linked to a barrage proc, I have no issue with that.

But being ABLE to kite, doesnt mean having an EASY TIME kiting. I got played by the corner very well today, in the underground under civil war's mid objectives. He (or she) did it WELL. By the time I got to him, I was under 50% health, and he still had a few abilities ready for me.

But mostly, since the issue seems fighting melee (Mostly I suppose, marauder and assassins) very little tweaks might be very efficients. If you get surprised and the melee ran to you (therefore still has leap availaible), it SHOULD be a bad start for you. Kiting should not be an easy 1-hit button, and your best kb should be kept for a moment they won't be countered right away by the melee class.

Ex. use jet boost after assassin blows force speed, or a marauder/jug blows leap.

A commando got me very well there today. He saw me coming, as soon as I leaped at him, he used his concussion charge. I REALLY had to either walk there, not even sure force charge's damage landed.

Hence my comment. Its rather desespearing that Bioware even listen to most of the stuff there. People ask themselves "what would make my class awesome" and not "what would make my class balanced"

Rassuro's Avatar


Rassuro
11.09.2012 , 07:09 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by verfallen View Post
A commando got me very well there today. He saw me coming, as soon as I leaped at him, he used his concussion charge. I REALLY had to either walk there, not even sure force charge's damage landed.
Hey guy listen, this one time I had to struggle to kill a Commando, it was awful, I had to actually WALK there... if that's not irrefutable proof that Commando's are fine or maybe even overpowered, I don't know what is.

Sure, I later killed him 5 times so quickly that I almost forgot about it and it's possible that I had to struggle that one time because I'm just not that good, but still, nerf pls.
Toor, 50 Operative healer | Odaen, 50 Assassin tank | Tiyr, 50 Vanguard tank | Zerofour, 50 Mercenary DPS | The Red Eclipse

DrIzzt-DoUrden's Avatar


DrIzzt-DoUrden
11.09.2012 , 10:44 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by verfallen View Post
I don't deny it.

But I look around the PvP forum and this, and the "request" of mercs/commando to "fix" this current situation are plain ridiculous.

-Shields
-tons of roots
-insta-cast on a crapload of abilities (which btw, would mess up dps bad)
-total immunity to interrupt with 5 stack of power barrier (which means total immunity point)
-Add a sprint with that will you? thx!


you can have different way to deal with melee. I'll admit I think the modification to rocket punch/shockstrike was very dumb. Unload to be uninterruptible? Definitely, linked to a barrage proc, I have no issue with that.

But being ABLE to kite, doesnt mean having an EASY TIME kiting. I got played by the corner very well today, in the underground under civil war's mid objectives. He (or she) did it WELL. By the time I got to him, I was under 50% health, and he still had a few abilities ready for me.

But mostly, since the issue seems fighting melee (Mostly I suppose, marauder and assassins) very little tweaks might be very efficients. If you get surprised and the melee ran to you (therefore still has leap availaible), it SHOULD be a bad start for you. Kiting should not be an easy 1-hit button, and your best kb should be kept for a moment they won't be countered right away by the melee class.

Ex. use jet boost after assassin blows force speed, or a marauder/jug blows leap.

A commando got me very well there today. He saw me coming, as soon as I leaped at him, he used his concussion charge. I REALLY had to either walk there, not even sure force charge's damage landed.

Hence my comment. Its rather desespearing that Bioware even listen to most of the stuff there. People ask themselves "what would make my class awesome" and not "what would make my class balanced"
Shields?
Tons of Roots?
-total immunity to interrupt with 5 stack of power barrier (which means total immunity point) Oh snap, You don't mean total immunity like those pesky Snipers do ya? Oh holy huttballs please no.

I imagine it must be a living hell for you to approach a ranged squishy class only to realize upon reaching that golden 4meter range that your interrupt is completely useless. I can imagine that being so devastating for you having to trade blows with someone rather than just pound on them relentlessly while they try to "kite"
I can imagine these things because I've got a 50 Sniper, Marauder, Sorcerer, Mercenary and soon to be Operative.

Oh you poor little Jawa snatch you. You got cornered in the civil war map in the underground? they hit u with a Concussion Charge? Blasted little zugzugs. You must have been snared for at least 4 seconds whatever did you do?

Ex. use jet boost after assassin blows force speed, or a marauder/jug blows leap. CLUCK YEAH! that's EXACTLY what we was missing man thank you holy huttballs again thank u thank u thank u!

this whole time I thought our class was imbalanced and we never stood a chance but this whole time we're just missing COMMON SENSE? THANK YOU!
Quote: Originally Posted by cashogy View Post
at first i was
then i was
but then i was

Macroecon's Avatar


Macroecon
11.09.2012 , 11:15 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by ZeroPlus View Post
Wow.

How do you go from reading:
"yes, they have problems right now and we have plans to fix it"
to understanding:
"Clearly the devs just want us to be targets for other DPS classes with no means of being able to fight back or doing the same DPS as the other classes currently."?

It boggles the mind.
The person you were responding to may have been a bit reactionary. However, consider the dev's track record. 11 straight months of nerfs. The supposed "buffs" are cloaked in bugs that reduce Merc dps effectiveness so that in net, we still get nerfed. A dev request in July for player input about their subclass, with tons of responses by Merc about their problems. Result? Next patch has a further nerf to Merc Pyro.

The Merc player base is justifiably suspicious about dev intentions regarding the subclass. Every strong pvp player in the game will admit that Merc is the worst subclass in the game for pvp. And the devs continue to nerf the subclass. The devs simply lack any credibility on the matter.