Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

RELEASE: Free To Play will hit live Servers on NOVEMBER 15th

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
RELEASE: Free To Play will hit live Servers on NOVEMBER 15th

Nilmot's Avatar


Nilmot
11.08.2012 , 07:44 AM | #41
Quote: Originally Posted by Tige View Post
Star Wars Galaxies [SWG] was a game released by SOE in early 2000's, character progression when it started was skill tree based and you was able to mix and match to your preferences. It was a sandbox game, with full 3d spaceflight, complex resource system, the ability to build player ran cities, along with an overt/covert pvp system. It wasn't for everyone. The New Game Experience [NGE] was the second attempt to change the base mechanics of the game, streamlining the over 2 dozen profession skill trees into 9 class wheels, changing the combat system from the standard MMO style to a pseudo standard/FPS style combat [which I think was part of the CU that preceded the NGE].

SWG wasn't perfect, but had a lot of potential that was lost due to being mishandled by SOE.
In short, it was barely a game at all. The combat was always horrible, and as previously stated, it amounted to a poorly rendered chat room.

JediNg's Avatar


JediNg
11.08.2012 , 07:50 AM | #42
Quote: Originally Posted by Nilmot View Post
In short, it was barely a game at all. The combat was always horrible, and as previously stated, it amounted to a poorly rendered chat room.
What a clear, level-headed opinion.
Ritha
The Harbinger
Formerly from Ahazi, Dec Oct 2003 - Nov 2005

Nilmot's Avatar


Nilmot
11.08.2012 , 08:10 AM | #43
Quote: Originally Posted by JediNg View Post
What a clear, level-headed opinion.
I was there, it was horrible in all regards. The nostalgia for it constantly stuns me.

JediNg's Avatar


JediNg
11.08.2012 , 08:13 AM | #44
Quote: Originally Posted by Nilmot View Post
I was there, it was horrible in all regards. The nostalgia for it constantly stuns me.
As was I, as you can clearly see.
But, I was a crafter 90% of the time.
Ritha
The Harbinger
Formerly from Ahazi, Dec Oct 2003 - Nov 2005

Kendaric's Avatar


Kendaric
11.08.2012 , 08:13 AM | #45
Quote: Originally Posted by Nilmot View Post
In short, it was barely a game at all. The combat was always horrible, and as previously stated, it amounted to a poorly rendered chat room.
Ok... so anything that doesn't offer an experience on rails with a strictly linear progression isn't a game?

Sorry, but SWG pre-CU/NGE was a better game than any current MMORPG in many ways as it allowed for true roleplaying. It was certainly not perfect and unfortunately riddled with bugs, but in terms of exploration, RP possibilities and sheer freedom it was unmatched.
My referal link: http://www.swtor.com/r/VwNScj for free stuff including free server transfer & 7 days of subscription

JediNg's Avatar


JediNg
11.08.2012 , 08:18 AM | #46
Quote: Originally Posted by Kendaric View Post
Ok... so anything that doesn't offer an experience on rails with a strictly linear progression isn't a game?

Sorry, but SWG pre-CU/NGE was a better game than any current MMORPG in many ways as it allowed for true roleplaying. It was certainly not perfect and unfortunately riddled with bugs, but in terms of exploration, RP possibilities and sheer freedom it was unmatched.
I wouldn't go that far. Some of the elements were excellent though. Like you said it was conducive to RP and had some potiential to be amazing. They did fall short of providing more 'video gamey' or 'raid' elements though.
Ritha
The Harbinger
Formerly from Ahazi, Dec Oct 2003 - Nov 2005

tgjohnson's Avatar


tgjohnson
11.08.2012 , 08:22 AM | #47
Quote: Originally Posted by Kendaric View Post
Ok... so anything that doesn't offer an experience on rails with a strictly linear progression isn't a game?

Sorry, but SWG pre-CU/NGE was a better game than any current MMORPG in many ways as it allowed for true roleplaying. It was certainly not perfect and unfortunately riddled with bugs, but in terms of exploration, RP possibilities and sheer freedom it was unmatched.
Can people finally accept the fact that SWG is no more? We can spend years talking about this game, and I'm sure many love it, but SWTOR will never be what SWG was. SWG had crappy sub numbers for a reason, and it wasn't doing all that great pre-NGE. It couldn't compete, so it died. SWTOR is trying to stay competitive in this market, and I don't think that's a bad thing.

Good job, SWTOR. Please don't become like SWG.
The virginity is strong with this one.

Nilmot's Avatar


Nilmot
11.08.2012 , 08:26 AM | #48
Quote: Originally Posted by Kendaric View Post
Ok... so anything that doesn't offer an experience on rails with a strictly linear progression isn't a game?

Sorry, but SWG pre-CU/NGE was a better game than any current MMORPG in many ways as it allowed for true roleplaying. It was certainly not perfect and unfortunately riddled with bugs, but in terms of exploration, RP possibilities and sheer freedom it was unmatched.

Yes exactly. Like I inferred, it was a chat room you could use your arrow keys to walkr around in and pick furntiure. Like a The Sims: Star Wars expansion. The actual 'game' aspect was either miserable or didn't exist. The ONLY thing it was good for was functioning as a platform for role playing and it's been pretty thoroughly proven that that wasn't what most people were looking for.

tgjohnson's Avatar


tgjohnson
11.08.2012 , 08:32 AM | #49
Quote: Originally Posted by Nilmot View Post
Yes exactly. Like I inferred, it was a chat room you could use your arrow keys to walkr around in and pick furntiure. Like a The Sims: Star Wars expansion. The actual 'game' aspect was either miserable or didn't exist. The ONLY thing it was good for was functioning as a platform for role playing and it's been pretty thoroughly proven that that wasn't what most people were looking for.
Agreed, combat was terrible...other games during that time were already surpassing it in terms of what they could do to make combat fun. That's why they tried the NGE, and after that flopped, there was nothing else to do.
The virginity is strong with this one.

krabbelhuhn's Avatar


krabbelhuhn
11.08.2012 , 09:18 AM | #50
Thats true. SWTOR Free to Play launches on November 15th!

http://swtor.gamona.de/2012/11/08/sw...am-15-11-2012/

Awesome!
Community & Lead Content Manager of StarWarsPlanet.de
and, of course,

Jawa for life!