Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Developer Update: Free-to-Play Option

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Developer Update: Free-to-Play Option
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Journeyer
11.08.2012 , 09:12 AM | #81
One minor concern that nobody has mentioned in the last 8 pages, but that I think is more than a bit important, since I've been helpfully pointing people to the /free site for info on cartel tokens for the past month.

Quote:
But you’ll only receive a grant of Complimentary Cartel Coins if you’re an active subscriber when the Free-to-Play option goes live!
So...I had gotten the impression from the /free info page that you get Cartel tokens for each paid month, and an additional 250 tokens for having an active sub when F2P goes live. The implication given by the table on that site seems to be that the tokens awarded for past paid months are separate from the tokens received at F2P launch (they are separate in the table, with no indication of mutual dependence).

It sounds now as though 9 months of paid subscriptions will net you zero tokens if you don't have a subscription in November. Is this the case?
I make useful, game-expanding suggestions.
Holorancor | Food! | Outfit Storage | My Career | Ultimate PvE Solution

Arkerus
11.08.2012 , 09:13 AM | #82
Quote: Originally Posted by Costello View Post
The restrictions seem to be about making the game so frustrating to get to level 50 without purchasing additional perks that I wonder if people who found 15 bucks a month too much of a commitment will just quit in annoyance than dig into their pocket.

As for not effecting the subscribers game it seems that it already is. Without the free to play element of 1.5 it seems we would already be working towards getting HK. The new areas were on Belsavis before free to play and appeared to have far few known bugs. But that aside surely if there is new gear and options available only if I as a subscriber is willing to purchase them in a cash shop it is negatively effecting my game as they have been removed from the normal subscribers game. The masks, pets, armour sets, vehicles extra would have been put in the game as high end equipment or just because many of the current armour sets are so ugly. Instead we have to wait for free to play and then purchase them.

If more cargo space is considered a good thing why can't I as a subscriber purchase it but rather have to pay for it. Players have been asking for better armour for a long time and instead we got reskined Black Hole gear as dread master gear while the cash shop gets a number of new outfits. And then perhaps the most loathsome aspect the gambling lock boxes or cartel boxes. Now if you want a certain saber or other item you have to purchase a container which will likely have a xp buff that is worthless to most people that have been playing here for a while, some random crafting material and some junk. Dont worry though next time you might hit the 3% to get that item you wanted. But probably not but don't worry keep buying cartel boxes!
I see no major items in the F2P option that would create any unreasonable burden to get to 50. I have been playing since day 1 and I know what it takes to get to level 50 (multiple times). It can very easily be done with 2 quick bars, green gear and limited storage space.
Hooning in the rex : http://youtu.be/xtXUM6yPMCY

ripster
11.08.2012 , 09:17 AM | #83
Quote: Originally Posted by Journeyer View Post
The implication given by the table on that site seems to be that the tokens awarded for past paid months are separate from the tokens received at F2P launch (they are separate in the table, with no indication of mutual dependence).
Each of those categories has a footnote which states you need to have a paid subscription at the time of F2P launch to receive the coins.

well
11.08.2012 , 09:38 AM | #84
It will really depend on how they work out the cost of the coins.There is that level 31 armor for 1200 coins or just for one chr to wear purple was 1200.If it comes out to a penny a coin that would make 12 bucks for either.That is too much.If you stay subbed like I will that would be close to 5 months of being subbed for level 31 gear.No thanks.I glad to have FTP to draw people back to the game.So they really need to be careful not to drive away those they are trying to get.

mrdert
11.08.2012 , 10:11 AM | #85
I for one am quite pleases with some of the items I've seen in the cartel shop and in the grab bags. I hope they will consider making the imp and rep banners have a 30m range rather than the 10m it is now.
I fully plan to keep subscribing and as long as I don't have to " pay to win" F2P is ok with me.

Now once all this F2P business is taken care of let's get back to work on the OWPVP and some warzones.
It is easier for a man to destroy the light inside himself than to fight the darkness all around him.
Allup N'Yoas
come <Play> with us

Laurreth
11.08.2012 , 10:17 AM | #86
Quote: Originally Posted by Costello View Post
The restrictions seem to be about making the game so frustrating to get to level 50 without purchasing additional perks that I wonder if people who found 15 bucks a month too much of a commitment will just quit in annoyance than dig into their pocket.
I don't see a problem with getting to level 50. Sure, you don't get to wear purple and won't see too many flashpoints (although, thinking back, I wouldn't have hit that limit too often either), but that really isn't an issue if you're just going through PvE. If you're a good little postman and do a moderate amount of sidequests, you outlevel your area most of the time. You also get moddable equipment early and easily enough to build viable gear with planet commendations.

You can also always team up with other people to do that stuff. This is, after all, trying to be a multiplayer experience.

Things get a bit worse once you hit 50 and finished the "single-player content", since content and gear tend to subtly change towards unavailable and unwearable, unless you start paying in some way. At this point it is worth repeating though that you've just had a damn long storyline for Free*.

* The definition of "Free" may depend on your country or region.

Sneakycheeks
11.08.2012 , 10:40 AM | #87
Quote: Originally Posted by Boyana View Post
Let me yell:
GIVE US AN OPTION TO BUY APARTMENT AND DECORATIONS FOR IT AND OUR SHIPS!

Hehe, really. Put that into CC (furniture, colors, etc...) and win/win for all XD!
I'd love to be able to decorate my star ships...but I have a feeling that a feature like that won't happen for quite some time. And to be honest..I'd much rather have a Barber Shop feature in the game first.

Oldsailor
11.08.2012 , 11:36 AM | #88
Quote: Originally Posted by ChrisMattar View Post
No but I see the flaws in your thinking process.
Why would anyone leave the game at 50 if they liked it, logic says they would want to sub to experience endgame content and get all the advantages of being a subscriber. IF they didn't like it, then they may even leave at level 20'. They'll stay for the same reason you did.
And preferred status is not a slightly degraded version it is a much degraded version.
Personally? I'll pay 15$ a month because it is the most ridiculously cheap price for a month of entertainment I have ever seen. It's the cost of a 2hour movie ticket or a valet tip ffs.
It's even cheaper then taking a date to McDonald's for lunch.

Radzkie
11.08.2012 , 11:47 AM | #89
Quote:
Furthermore, we really wanted to be sure that in no way would subscribers feel they needed to make purchases from the Cartel Market in order to be competitive in the game.
This made me happy. Very, very happy.

BadOrb
11.08.2012 , 11:54 AM | #90
Quote: Originally Posted by well View Post
It will really depend on how they work out the cost of the coins.There is that level 31 armor for 1200 coins or just for one chr to wear purple was 1200.If it comes out to a penny a coin that would make 12 bucks for either.That is too much.If you stay subbed like I will that would be close to 5 months of being subbed for level 31 gear.No thanks.I glad to have FTP to draw people back to the game.So they really need to be careful not to drive away those they are trying to get.
Your maths is off there fella. You get a bonus of 250 for being subbed when f2p launches then after two months you will have 1250 to buy the level 31 armor , simple ? Also reading into what you said I believe you think subbed players need to unlock purple gear ? Well no they don't. Also the armor in the Cartel shop isn't needed really , we didn't have it before. The one thing that might keep people from playing is the 2 quick bars for f2p and preferred players , but i'm pretty sure that all important 3rd bar won't be too expensive , or it's bye bye Bioware for many.

Cheers,

BadOrb.
'Ah you think micro transactions are your ally ? The DLC betrays you because it belongs to me , when your home world is monetized , you have my permission to buy'.
"Oh goody. Lord Douchebag McFuzzlebunny can now be related to me if he see's my legacy name and decides he likes it." quote from Selvec 09/06/12