Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Developer Update: Free-to-Play Option

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Developer Update: Free-to-Play Option
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Zandilar
11.07.2012 , 05:06 PM | #21
I just checked, and according to the figures given, I will be given cartel coins for 9 months worth of subscription.

However, that only goes back to March when the Oceanic servers launched, but I've been subscribed since December last year.

That means I should be entitled to 11-ish months worth of cartel coins.

Please do make sure that these calculations are correct, and that you're not inadvertently ripping off those Oceanic players who didn't wait until March to subscribe.

If the calculations for this are still being worked on, and I've jumped the gun here... well, carry on.
Zandilar, an Australian, IN SPAAAAAAAACCCCEEEEE!!
Too many characters, most of them Chiss.

AlyxDinas
11.07.2012 , 05:06 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by LukeSaberRattler View Post
The UI and Color match/hide head slot do not restrict any ability to play the game. They are ease of play or cosmetic. You don't need anymore than they are giving players to actually play the game.
You're missing the point. The issue is that even if they want to maximize their potential revenue from FTP players, there are a lot better ways to do it. Furthermore, "Preferred Status", as it stands, is something of a joke. Now, I'm a subscriber. I intend to remain as such but...if BioWare or EA wanted to figure out a better way to go about their restrictions, they really should keep it to content and not, say, the ability equip purples for $2.50 or whatever arbitrary value they choose.
'Jeos Dinas'-Ebon Hawk
Manager, The Ebon Hawk Bounty Board
"Perception Problem."

AceMcVeer
11.07.2012 , 05:16 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Zandilar View Post
I just checked, and according to the figures given, I will be given cartel coins for 9 months worth of subscription.

However, that only goes back to March when the Oceanic servers launched, but I've been subscribed since December last year.

That means I should be entitled to 11-ish months worth of cartel coins.

Please do make sure that these calculations are correct, and that you're not inadvertently ripping off those Oceanic players who didn't wait until March to subscribe.

If the calculations for this are still being worked on, and I've jumped the gun here... well, carry on.
Each PAID month. Your first month was free. You also probably got the free month for being level 50 or having legacy level 6 or whatever it was. If you upgraded to Collector's that's another free month. So you have to subtract up to three free months.

Lateris
11.07.2012 , 05:23 PM | #24
Instead of selling the additional UI slots I would rather see additional space maps sold with new maps every month. Content will sell, being a cheap skate over the UI is bad PR.
.:|Jawa Diplomat:.

Eightus
11.07.2012 , 05:29 PM | #25
"subscribers should not experience any degradation of their gameplay experience" - this should always be your number one priority. And as long as it stays that way(and you start adding content more often) I am happy.

Anyway glad to see that we(the subscribers) wont have to pay for any of the new content and our gamplay wont be damaged in any way. Keep that up.

WorldSecurities
11.07.2012 , 05:30 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by CourtneyWoods View Post
Hello everyone,

Please discuss the Developer Update: Free-to-Play Option blog in this thread!

This statement:
"The second core rule is that subscribers should not experience any degradation of their gameplay experience. Those of you who are still paying a monthly fee should still get the same gameplay experience and you won’t find anything taken away from you and the gameplay that you currently enjoy. "

Is contradicted by this statement:
"Players with Preferred Status do not face the same limitations as a Free-to-Play player and will find that some restrictions are either removed or greatly reduced"

As the above works down to:
Players with Preferred Status ... will find that some restrictions ... are greatly reduced

That "greatly reduced" phrase is equivalent to "taken away from you."

What are these "greatly reduced" "restrictions"? And for "Players with Preferred Status", i.e. subscribers, why are there any, "some", restrictions at all?

Or is that a typo that needs editorial correction?

Darkfiretiger
11.07.2012 , 05:31 PM | #27
It's interesting but as a solo casual player I don't see much incentive to stay subscribed other than maintaining the XP levels, I think that the permanent payed bonuses could be enough to get me the experience I want without a subscription.

Joajoa
11.07.2012 , 05:31 PM | #28
Right now I'm content to subscribe to TOR,regardless of the decrease in playerbase or the fact I could later play for free.I know the gameplay drops after hitting 50,I'm aware of the many,many flaws in the game--and I don't mind continuing to pay my $15 a month.For me,personally, I enjoy playing a story-based MMO with a low time sink and instanced pvp.I've played dozens of other MMO's,for now I'm content to stay.

Having said that,the Free-to-Play format that Bioware is adopting is a complete disaster.Going from level 1-50 with the class story line is the best part of the game,and that part is free.New Players will play the game till 50 then leave...this won't help the population at all.We will get a huge boost at first,which will quickly die out once F2P players go through the PVE content.

The time and effort that Bioware is putting into F2P is wasted--because it doesn't address the main reason ppl leave this game...the "After 50" slump.

skyknightandy
11.07.2012 , 05:33 PM | #29
i feel like this is how they will introduce the wookie they will probably make it a special so people will buy the wookie race so not everyone has wookie and wookie would be a playable race for any class 2!! but i feel like this will be in a few years or so....but yea the game has come a long way from a year ago..... all personally want is more legacy gear and weapon!

Wakwazu
11.07.2012 , 05:33 PM | #30
I am really excited for the transition