Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Developer Update: Free-to-Play Option

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Developer Update: Free-to-Play Option
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

MishraArtificer
11.13.2012 , 01:12 AM | #121
Here's one I haven't seen nailed down yet: How many Cartel Coins are we, as Subscribers/VIP Status Players, receiving per month once F2P drops?
Quote: Originally Posted by CosmicKat View Post
Twiki (with or without Dr. Theopolis), Muffet, and Wesley Crusher could form a boy band and do a Buck Rogers/BSG/Trek crossover tour, then crash on a remote asteroid, meet up with Doctoor Zee, and save themselves by making a spaceship out of random Cylon debris... and it would still be much less stupid than Jar Jar.
Behold...my referral link!

Thylbanus
11.13.2012 , 11:20 AM | #122
Quote: Originally Posted by MishraArtificer View Post
Here's one I haven't seen nailed down yet: How many Cartel Coins are we, as Subscribers/VIP Status Players, receiving per month once F2P drops?
Darth Hater is the source for this. He had to have questions submitted by the 12th for EA to answer. That question was one of them. Check the site for further the answers once they are posted. (As of three hours ago, they had not posted anything new)
It's amazing how loud a dollar can be.
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristin Wilson

Ezrat
11.13.2012 , 11:59 AM | #123
After reviewing the Free, Preferred, Subscriber options and what is for sale on the Cartel Shop, I feel like EA micro-transacted the crap out of this game. Some of the choices leave a bad taste in my mouth:
  • Quick slots - you do want people to be able to enjoy the game to entice them to pay right? At least this was upped to two. It is playable as such.
  • Title and Legacy display - this is one of those things I felt was just a money grab
  • Crew skills - not much more than a means of earning credits if you are only allowed one, considering you need three to actually craft things independent of others.
  • Hide Helmet/Unify colours - another cash grab?
  • Space missions - was space on rails really that exciting that people will pay to do more than three a week?

Aside from these ones, I felt that most of the cash shop choices were good. Let them run flash points, limit the loot they get was good. No access to ops seems fair. Race choices but not class choices limited. Gear limits. Seems appropriate.

Personally, I reupped to get my coins to unlock crew skills. I can suffer with two quickslot bars. I may keep it up as i missed the game a bit. That being said, I only considered returning to play out the class stories across the board. I hope that EA decides to loosen up on a few of the more cash grabby items on the shop, but if not, at least I can enjoy the game I bought as a single player game for free. Thanks for making the transition.

HoopyDX
11.13.2012 , 01:42 PM | #124
I don't have a problem with any of the F2P decisions chosen, if you don't pay any cash towards a game expect a limited experience! As a subscriber though I think it would be fair to those who regularly pay money to support the game if the cartel shop items were purchasable with in game cash for subscribers, if I pay a subscription then I don't expect anything to be out of my reach without more cash being spent.

Kahn_Mandrilok
11.13.2012 , 05:26 PM | #125
Wallet jedis vs Wallet Siths!... Can we teammate with F2P and Paid Accounts?

Thylbanus
11.13.2012 , 11:41 PM | #126
Quote: Originally Posted by Kahn_Mandrilok View Post
Wallet jedis vs Wallet Siths!... Can we teammate with F2P and Paid Accounts?
Yes you may.

(btw Jedi and Sith are both singular and plural.)
It's amazing how loud a dollar can be.
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristin Wilson

Dyvim
11.14.2012 , 05:36 PM | #127
Quote: Originally Posted by HoopyDX View Post
I don't have a problem with any of the F2P decisions chosen, if you don't pay any cash towards a game expect a limited experience! As a subscriber though I think it would be fair to those who regularly pay money to support the game if the cartel shop items were purchasable with in game cash for subscribers, if I pay a subscription then I don't expect anything to be out of my reach without more cash being spent.
The problem is, I am getting a "limited experience" since launch, as a paying customer. I have no problem paying for a quality game. This isnt it. Endgame is a disaster unless you are a raider. Endgame pvp is terrible with so few wz maps and forced pugs most of the time. I cant even select the WZ map I have to play. Epic fail.

Then there is the pvp itself. I have never played a game where the cc was so out of control. And the Resolve timer is a COMPLETE AND TOTAL JOKE. The entire cc system in this game needs to be scrapped and rethought.

The on rails, limited themepark design of the game kills any desire or ability to log into the game and "just live in the space". I was hoping this would be counteracted with some well designed end game WORLDS. This has not happened, and the MASSIVE diversion of resources to F2P has insured that it will not happen any time soon.

Let's be honest. F2P means one thing. This games design, and specifically its endgame design, is a total failure. Story didnt save the original revenue model...how is it supposed to save a F2P model when the endgame is still total crap?

WHERE are the endgame worlds? Where are cantina's that have minigames and meaning? Where is space that is more than a craptastic, SINGLE PLAYER, on the rails shooter that is almost identical to what is available to kiddies in the SOE F2P clone wars MMO? But, even worse, that F2P kiddie MMO also has things like SWOOP RACING, with multiple tracks on multiple planets...and its MULTI player...imagine that in an MMO.

I followed this game YEARS before launch. Bought two collectors editions, and am still subscribing. But the pure themepark, uninspired nature of this game, and the total failure of the endgame ONE YEAR INTO LAUNCH is inexcuseable and heart breaking. If this wasnt a star wars game I would have FOREVER shelved it long ago. This is the most disappointing MMO I have experienced since STO, in fact, given the time and resources spent on it, it is an even bigger disappointment, and that is a TERRIBLY low bar to slink under. I really suggest, if it is still possible to save this game, you guys review your own developer blogs, pre-launch, and play a modern MMO like GW2 for some inspiration...
The Crystal is the Heart of the Blade.
The Heart is the Crystal of the Jedi.
The Jedi is the Crystal of the Force.
The Force is the Blade of the Heart.
All are Intertwined...the Crystal, the Blade, the Jedi...

Killance
11.15.2012 , 04:28 PM | #128
The first one is the quick bar restrictions, I mean c'mon how greedy can you get?
The second is the equipment restriction, GL doing your end game ops with full blues.

Aside from that I really don't have any other complaints aside from Smuggler being under powered still.

And yes I am a returning player.

You're thoughts on the new F2P model?

PS: Also, games says I have coins and yet they don't show up. I did buy the game a few months ago so should I be getting some or what?

Labradoraki
11.15.2012 , 04:29 PM | #129
Considering its a gear based game and not a skill based one when you need someone to pay 1200 to wear epics so he can be able to compete the game becomes pay to win.
Do you think this will help the games population or it will just keep a few subscribers and a few f2p players on?

I am not sure if i ll keep subscribing since i dont really like going around and getting ree kills in pvp since msot f2p wont have epic gear, im sure noobs that need to feel better about themselves will love that easy win though.

Jedi_Slayer
11.15.2012 , 04:30 PM | #130
We have seen people "upset about quickbar and equipment, I think that people need to realize the F2P portion of this game is targeted at the KotoR 3 Crowd who are going to play for free, spend a little money and move onto a new character when the finish the class story. F2P is not catered to endgame or ops. I think they hope people will sub if that is part of the game they really want to do.