Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Developer Update: Free-to-Play Option

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Developer Update: Free-to-Play Option
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

OrangeKun
11.09.2012 , 05:56 PM | #111
One thing I can't stand about limiting the people in F2P is Space missions. I don't understand the point in limiting this part of the game to anyone. Flashpoints and warzones I can understand; though I do rather prefer just buying outright access to them for good, ala LOTRO.

But limiting Space missions? In a Star Wars game? It just seems petty and pointless.
"Orange? For that is the name of my Loyalty!"
--History majors represent!, so says ITSATRAP!--
[Rolin - SSC Guild Ahazi Server]---[Rolin - -DS-, BONS, PvP Guild Bria Server]

BOOLEAZERT
11.10.2012 , 11:13 AM | #112
dude the reason here coin that is cause disney took over and they don't know what the hell there doing
i'll take a martini shaken not stirred

Macheath
11.10.2012 , 12:17 PM | #113
1. It won't bring back many of the players who left, because BioWare hasn't fixed any of the broken systems that were the cause of their departure in the first place. BioWare can spin the, "Players just didn't have the money to sub," line all they want, we all know there is a large group of players who left due to problems with the game, and very few of those problems have since been addressed (and those that have been addressed are superficial issues like "shadow quality," which I doubt led to anyone unsubscribing from the game.)

2. Free to play players are restricted from full access to group content, which will lead to more "solo" players, and less players looking for groups on servers. That's a shift in the wrong direction. We have to hope that, in the long term, the free to play option actually leads to more subs, either that or F2P players are willing to pay for increased access to group content.

3. Some of the free to play restrictions don't sit well with me. Restricting the basic UI and restricting the ability to equip rare equipment are a couple of examples.

4. BioWare is using this as an excuse to delay fixing their game. They say things like, "Our game is awesome. People love it and want to play it." The subscription is being used as a scapegoat to deflect attention from the other problems with the game. And obviously, they can't be in too big a rush to address our concerns when this is how they think we all feel about the game.

5. BioWare promises more frequent game content updates, but continues to layoff more of their development team. More frequent content releases + smaller development team = lower quality content.

-Macheath.
Remember, if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off.

Thylbanus
11.10.2012 , 12:43 PM | #114
Quote: Originally Posted by BOOLEAZERT View Post
dude the reason here coin that is cause disney took over and they don't know what the hell there doing
F2P was being implemented LONG before Disney took over Lucasfilm. Ea just licences the IP, Lucasfilm only has say in the story, not implementation of game features.
It's amazing how loud a dollar can be.
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristin Wilson

TaeKwanLeap
11.10.2012 , 02:07 PM | #115
Don't want to read through this entire thread...

What about characters that are already created but not of the allowable race for "Free to Play" will they still be that race, or will they be converted to one of the "Free to Play" races allowed?

Diefenbaker
11.10.2012 , 02:26 PM | #116
Quote: Originally Posted by Drewmen View Post
The sub fee kept the rif raf off the game servers
No it hasn't. Not in this game, not in any other MMORPG ever, nor will it ever.

People will shell out 15 bucks per month to be *****s. It happens in every MMORPG. Best proof is still WoW.
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition”

BOOLEAZERT
11.11.2012 , 08:25 AM | #117
would it be cool if we all farted confetti or burped farts or our shirts smelled like pepper mints that would be so cool
i'll take a martini shaken not stirred

Toerstad
11.11.2012 , 12:53 PM | #118
Why can`t we play 2 vs 2 ?

Wabizuke
11.11.2012 , 04:23 PM | #119
Well more players that will enjoy the game and prob sub.. i allrdy know a few players who's started on the 15 limit trial and all of them has allrdy brought the game lol. This will probably boost both players to play with and subscribers = win win, no matter what anyone says this is a really good thing.

chuixupu
11.11.2012 , 04:25 PM | #120
Quote: Originally Posted by TaeKwanLeap View Post
Don't want to read through this entire thread...

What about characters that are already created but not of the allowable race for "Free to Play" will they still be that race, or will they be converted to one of the "Free to Play" races allowed?
It's in the FAQ - your characters wiil remain, nothing will convert.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant