Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

MMO-PvP and You: A Guide to Growth

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
MMO-PvP and You: A Guide to Growth

CommanderKeeva
11.07.2012 , 02:06 AM | #11
Get friends, get gear and L2P in a pretty wrapping. Nice style, though.
BEING A GOOD SOLDIER COMES DOWN TO ONE THING, ONE SINGLE QUESTION:
WHAT ARE YOU PREPARED TO SACRIFICE?

Doomsdaycomes
11.07.2012 , 07:53 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by CommanderKeeva View Post
Get friends, get gear and L2P in a pretty wrapping. Nice style, though.
Hmmm... I had hoped this thread would be more of a mentality/attitude changer than a L2P post. Perhaps I need to remove "No man is an Island" and leave the more physical advice to other guides.

I wrote this because it seems odd to me that over the last few days, I've noticed more and more negativity to success. Except for someone's four-year-old whom loves their daddy/mommy and wants to grow up to be a checker in a grocery store like them, one would think we should aspire to be the supervisor, the manager, the district manager, etc... on up to the CEO.

Yet in the MMO world, success seems to be met with distaste. It feels to me that this attitude stems from a belief that PvP is fair. An MMO is much like a simulation of life, and when two people clash they are not equal. One is older, one excercises more. One might have a gun and the other a knife. Unlike life though, a conflict can, and should be conducted as a sport, without personal feeling. I often wonder if those who feel better/more progressed are evil, simply take being beaten personal when it is not.

Any way, almost time for work. If you have any suggestions how I can provide a better message of mentality/attitude adjustment, rather than invoking the knee-jerk "Don't tell me L2P!" I appreciate the advice.

Aluvi
11.07.2012 , 10:03 AM | #13
Some years ago I read one of the quotes from your post, or a paraphrased version of it, that basically changed how I viewed pvp play. Before that point, I was one of those players that believed in "honor" and fair play, and considered people using cheap tactics "beneath" me. This line of thinking is fundamentally flawed. The game does not care who fights with more honor. The game is not 100% fair, and never will be. The game only sees who won and who lost, who lived and who died. By imposing a set of personal rules on yourself, you are effectively handicapping your ability to win.

This is a great post. It is 100% on. If you disagree, then you are not playing to win, and players like myself, my guild, and the op will chew you up, spit you out, and ask for seconds.
Aluvian (now Aluvien) Sith Marauder <Infinite Darkness> POT5
Youtube Channel:http://www.youtube.com/kdbutler2
720p Carnage PvP Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/aluviansw

Ycoga
11.07.2012 , 10:34 AM | #14
Lol?

Personally I excel in RL first, then in a game second.

But hey! I bow to your obvious expertise
'Pre-2.0 PvP... The gear gap was too big and some players became non-contributors quickly because of the gear gap. It wasn’t fun for the majority of players' - Alex Modny

T-Assassin
11.07.2012 , 10:46 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Doomsdaycomes View Post
Hmmm... I had hoped this thread would be more of a mentality/attitude changer than a L2P post. Perhaps I need to remove "No man is an Island" and leave the more physical advice to other guides.
it may touch a few...but, from my experience, most people suck.

i've been PvP'n for just over a decade now, and since Beta in SWTOR. i was a server 1st BM, and have a very similar story as yours. when i attempted to speak with my pre50 harasser, he LOL'd me and told me suck less, etc. i eventually made this person hate seeing my name in WZ's. just because he was a dick.

i've harassed hundreds on MZL as a pre 1.2 FULL BM :P but, IMO, i've always been classy, helpful, and polite to those that deserve it. i'm not the person you would expect behiund the keyboard

it's a different time. kids are kids.

there is no "honor" in dueling anymore. <---multiple meanings.
"Ib'tuur jatne tuur ash'ad kyr'amur."
"Today is a good day for someone else to die." -

MelodicSixNine
11.07.2012 , 10:48 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Ycoga View Post
Lol?

Personally I excel in RL first, then in a game second.

But hey! I bow to your obvious expertise
Says the guy playing star wars mmo and posting on same game forums. Excelling in real you say, hmm?

Anyway interesting read OP, but in long shot actual advice on tactics, positioning(like using LOS to your advantage, screenshots of best healing spots etc), class choice, group composition, syenergies between classes would much more useful.

TheronFett
11.07.2012 , 10:57 AM | #17
OP, I must applaud your efforts for constructing this thread. At the same time, I have to giggle behind your back and poke fun at you.

L-RANDLE
11.07.2012 , 11:05 AM | #18
Very good post Dooms.

Lots here rarely look in the mirror at themselves and tend to find fault in everything else except for themselves.

"All mentors have a way of seeing more of our faults than we would like. It's the only way we grow."
PvP Gear Viability? Read this first.
Tired of being broke? Stop being Felica and read this.
I'm not trying to be Rambo..... I'm trying to be Ray Tango

Ycoga
11.07.2012 , 11:27 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by MelodicSixNine View Post
Says the guy playing star wars mmo and posting on same game forums. Excelling in real you say, hmm?
Yes, because it is possible to both play MMO's and succeed in life! You don't have to follow Doomsday's mold!

And to spare all of our intelligences and sanity levels, I'll stave you off from saying, 'but, he succeeds in an MMO and that means he can also succeed in life by your own definition!' (but less eloquently of course). This is of course not the point: he wrote a guide about being a good pvp-er, nothing else.
'Pre-2.0 PvP... The gear gap was too big and some players became non-contributors quickly because of the gear gap. It wasn’t fun for the majority of players' - Alex Modny

Lintman
11.07.2012 , 11:42 AM | #20
The know your true enemy thing is wrong, as a tank if I identify you as a good player I am most definatly out to make your life in pvp a living hell, I'll always plant my taunt on you, I'll keep you perma slowed, after you've used your mobility skill to get into a position you want I'll throw you away from that position, I'll keep you stunned and mezzed as much as possible and I'll keep this up until your one goal in the WZ is to kill me and thus I have won. Pissing off players on purpose is a very legitimate and effective strategy.