Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Star Wars: The Old Republic – State of the Game

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Star Wars: The Old Republic – State of the Game
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Styxx
11.09.2012 , 03:49 AM | #291
Quote:
The subscription requirement was driving away huge numbers of people who do not want to commit to paying monthly.
Now you see... there is a big difference between not having 15$ and not wanting to have 15$.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/10...layoffs-today/
Your beloved F2P is not a guaranteed recipe, if you don`t have the right product.
Quote: Originally Posted by John Riccitiello View Post
When you are six hours into playing Battlefield and you run out of ammo in your clip, and we ask you for a dollar to reload, you're really not very price sensitive at that point in time...We're not gouging, but we're charging.

TheronFett
11.09.2012 , 04:37 AM | #292
Quote:
2. The subscription requirement was driving away huge numbers of people who do not want to commit to paying monthly.
You're completely misinterpreting why so many people have left the game, Jeff. People aren't going to return simply because it's going F2P. Those who left are not saying that they can't afford $15/month. They're saying the game isn't worth playing, and that won't change when it's free.

CelCawdro
11.09.2012 , 07:53 AM | #293
Quote: Originally Posted by Shoogli View Post
Now now that's a bit blunt Cel !
Well, just being honest, heh. Even if an experience that grandiose was possible, a game would have to be designed around that concept from the ground up. SW:TOR is not that type of game, for better or worse. Personally, I enjoy the narratives as presented. That's what has kept me here. Would I enjoy incredibly open worlds with barrier-free exploration, the ability to have atmospheric flight, etc., etc.? Of course, but that's just not a possibility unless production on all content halts for two years or so for BioWare to implement such a system, as it is tantamount to creating an entirely new game - the framework for such content simply doesn't exist here.

Sweeet
11.09.2012 , 11:39 AM | #294
Let me say a few more things before I cancel my subscription next week. PvP is an intricate part of the game; you can enter Warzones from anywhere, PvP your entire way to 50 from level 10 if you wish. The bolster system even today provides a very compelling gameplay experience from 10-49. So why, when you know just how intrinsic PvP is to the game, do you keep on ignoring your community and the glaring issues at level 50? I don't think you realise just how important it is for you to appease the PvP community. You can throw your time and resources at PVE all you want, but until you fix PvP this game will remain a shell of its former self and you will not entice PvP’ers to resubscribe.

You are fools if you believe the PvP changes at 1.2 were not a major contributing factor to the game going FTP. I honestly don't think you see just how important PvP was/still is to people, and just how badly you butchered with 1.2. The signs were everywhere, they are everywhere, yet somehow they have been lost in a pile of bureaucratic BS and the game has lost hundreds of thousands of subscribers as a result.

Who are you trying to kid, yourselves? Since when has a game developer that so blatantly ignores such an important part of its community worked out for a game? It strikes me that you would only ignore such an important part of your community, if you believe them not to be important at all in the grand scheme of things... How very wrong you are. There are more intelligent people than I who have tried to convince you, yet you still fail to see what is right in front of your eyes.

I'll close with this, level 50 PvP pre 1.2 was the most compelling PvP I have ever experienced in an MMO. And I wasn't the only one who thought so, websites and reviews everywhere were praising just how balanced PvP felt. Everyone knew it wasn't perfect, but it was the general consensus that you had brought one of the most balanced and enjoyable PvP experiences to an MMO and your PvP community on the whole loved you for it. Yet despite all this, you changed the balance of PvP entirely with 1.2 and even though it caused one of the biggest backlashes I have ever witnessed from a community, you STILL fail to see just how important PvP is to people and thus for the game.
*edit* and just to clarify, I'm not talking about the crappy bag system, I'm talking about the gameplay.

I'm done with this game and the current team behind PvP. If for whatever reason it suddenly “clicks” and you hire someone who gets it to turn PvP around, I’ll be back, although I have a feeling we’ll all be waiting a very long time as you can’t fix something if you cannot see that it is utterly broken and turning people away from the game in the first place.

Nemmar
11.09.2012 , 03:50 PM | #295
Quote: Originally Posted by darth_humungus View Post
concerning some upcoming updates, one concern is cartel coins, are deeper pockets going to be able purchase their way the to best, items. when most had to work for it.
The answer to that has been given time and again. How many times must it be asked? If you dont want to believe the answer then dont.

Arodin
11.09.2012 , 04:15 PM | #296
Regarding Topic #2: Bugs

I think most people understand that new bugs may crop up when a new update is released, and hopefully they get fixed within a few days or a week. What bothers me are the bugs that have always been in the game since the day the game was released: things like NPC conversations playing loudly after you move out of earshot of the conversation, companion UI disappearing after a story cut scene, companions wigging out and/or running away when you try to use a lift, clipping issues on character armor, etc. There are plenty of bugs like this that have been in the game forever. Most of these old bugs are not critical, but they are still bugs and for them to have lasted this long implies that Bioware simply doesn't care enough to be bothered to fix them. I think most of us have just gotten used to them by now, but they are still BUGS and they contribute to an overall "unpolished" feel to the game.

Jedi_Tyran
11.09.2012 , 07:39 PM | #297
Quote: Originally Posted by Soluss View Post
Its about time you did a "State of the Game" post. It only took you almost a year. That being said, it was pretty lackluster. Most state of the game posts tell people about the near future of the game and how far along they are working on certain features/content.

We already know you are going F2P. We already know why you are going F2P. If you need to restate it then atleast be honest about it. People did not quit because of a 15 dollar barrier. People quit because they didnt feel your game was worth 15 bucks. There is a huge difference there.

I was excited to see you made one of these but now I am even more depressed. You have finally taken this time to talk to us, only to show us that you have some tattoos and tell us how you were the head guy in charge of MMOs that have failed miserably once you took over.
QFT. Amen.

Styxx
11.09.2012 , 08:20 PM | #298
Which reminds me...

Now, with the F2P and the "new and improved" throwing away any "immersion", like invisible armor, pink sabers and flying thrones... since the famous "if you can`t see Leia romancing it, then it won`t get in" no longer applies...

WHEN will we see jawas and wookiees and droids and rodians and any SW race, as PLAYABLE?

And no, the excuse of "you cannot identify yourself with the race or NPC`s will have a morality issue" no longer flies, because they apparently can live with half naked individuals, sporting pink sabers and flying with their toilet se... throne around.

Can we get some update on the above "State of the Game", in regards to races?
Quote: Originally Posted by John Riccitiello View Post
When you are six hours into playing Battlefield and you run out of ammo in your clip, and we ask you for a dollar to reload, you're really not very price sensitive at that point in time...We're not gouging, but we're charging.

kosiah
11.09.2012 , 11:18 PM | #299
Quote:
I'm done with this game and the current team behind PvP. If for whatever reason it suddenly “clicks” and you hire someone who gets it to turn PvP around, I’ll be back, although I have a feeling we’ll all be waiting a very long time as you can’t fix something if you cannot see that it is utterly broken and turning people away from the game in the first place.
I may be as well.

On Halloween I went to a costume party and met a fellow gamer girl, who was dressed in a gears of war costume she'd made from scratch. My own experience is so Bioware-centric that I thought she was going for Shepard (despite the lack of an N-7 logo), and she was amazed I'd heard of Mass Effect at all. These times when I meet someone in real life who is as passionate about my hobby as I am are rare, and we had a good chat.

ANYWAY... she's never played ToR. For one, she only has a Macintosh, and for another, she loves PvP. Did I know, she asked, that Mass Effect keeps releasing new pvp maps? For free? She shook her head ruefully. Me, I had another drink.

No, I didn't know that, but honestly, as someone who's been hitting her head against the wall playing the same three (now four) warzones in ToR since early beta, that was kind of depressing to hear. It's not that HARD to make new PvP content. I played Warhammer and even as a game with half your subscription base they STILL managed to put in new warzones for special events, mix and max the ones available, and tweak their castle sieges. Hey... didn't you work on that too, Mr. Hickman?

So what's wrong? Why is it so difficult to make some new pvp maps in ToR? Are you worried about balance and testing? That is why many games use a... test server. I think you even have one! You could use it!

Do you lack the resources to make new content? Recycle some flashpoints! Or points on the map. Revisit some areas where a previous story happened... flesh it out, give us an epilogue, whatever. It doesn't have to be complicated.

Here is a real question for the development team: why can't you put in some new maps for pvp?
Kosiah, P'ink, Mekk, Veiny etc.
The Jin Legacy

FrOzZy
11.10.2012 , 02:37 AM | #300
Honestly, i don't wanted to comment, but ok:

1. PVP. That's simple - more WZ, more game modes. Take a look at rift. It isn't shines, but released before SWTOR and still not F2P. Persnoally I, nd few friends, that leaved ToR alrdy agree with me - why not to do something with wz? use RIFT expirience - for weekend change one wz's rules, allow users playin it achieve more points, that's rly simple, and won't take as much resourses as makin new one.
Also, u could use GW2 expirience - all of their pvp maps are domination (like Alderaan or denova) but all with different rules. And Developers said before release - they experimented a lot with other game modes, but found domination most exiciting. Keep on working in that way. And all my friends (not me, while playing gunslinger) enjoyed Huttball a lot, founding it ost exciting warone#scenary#battleground ever.

2.PVE. Ok, pandas here - so it's time to steal something )) Challenging mode (with gear and time restriction and rankings) will be nice. And still - u have a lot low lvl FPs, why making new ones when u have old ones? Make heroic modes! I liked hammerstation a lot since beta. And 1 more thing, i enjoyed a lot since beta and low lvl FPs... crew skill challenges - it was awesome idea, where it is now? =(

And for things in general... I have quit the game in may and returned few weeks ago. And only now, i see most (not all) promises from betafound it's way. Finally i can pick any orange gear i like, and wear it, making it BiS item by adding augumented slot, and that's wasn't possilbe since release, but u promised something about it. But still, i can't wear gear i like. I like a lot how some lowlvl green gear looks, but wearing it on 50 lvl char? No way. Ye, let's look at GW2 again - color unify? Screw it, u can apply any colour u have found#bought to any part of piece of equipment.

That's all. Sry for my english :P