Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Star Wars: The Old Republic State of the Game

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Star Wars: The Old Republic State of the Game
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

LordArtemis
11.07.2012 , 09:56 AM | #211
I wanted to post this here since the other thread was closed.

My thoughts and perceptions, not that my opinion is important, but I wanted to chime in.

Quote:
1. Our game is awesome. People love it and want to play it.
I agree with this statement, but only CONDITIONALLY. It depends on what part of the game you look at.

Limited physics (at least until overload was changed), overall Star Wars experience, ability to play as a truly evil character, full VO, storylines, environmental graphics, choreographed combat, mob animations, sound, some of the armor designs, modifiable armor...IMO the best in the industry hands down. There are other games that do have quality features similar to some of these, but overall I think SWToR does it the best.

Space combat, game changes for the sake of one type of gameplay that hurt another, anemic crafting, GTN and Groupfinder, lack of customization, lack of standard modern MMO features (transfer, dual spec, chat bubbles, guild perks, achievements (though codex and exploration, as well as titles helps), glitchy combat and special activation, linear pathing on many planets, some horrendous armor designs, bugs that persist since launch are just some of the many items that I consider some of the WORST in the industry.

This ends up putting the game in the middle of the road IMO. What it does right it does the best. What it does wrong it does so wrong it is almost laughable. And in the end it hits a middle mark as a result.

Quote:
2. The subscription requirement was driving away huge numbers of people who do not want to commit to paying monthly.
Again, I agree conditionally. Based on rhetoric around the net, testimonials from prior players, general game feedback web wide that I have seen it seems this is a true statement...but not exactly completely accurate. The overwhelming sentiment seems to be that players did not feel the game was WORTH 15 dollars a month. That is quite different than the insinuation that the commitment to the sub alone was the cause. The game simply did not offer an acceptable value for 15 dollars a month compared to other games on the market.

Quote:
3. The frequency of our Game Updates was way too slow. People were leaving because we were not releasing new content fast enough to keep up with the pace at which it was being consumed.
Again, partially correct IMO. Frequency was a huge factor, but focus of those updates, when they did come was also an issue, as was the emptiness of the game based on choices made early on in development with respect to expected game performance, and the lack of movement on consolidation until it was essentially too late.

Server consolidation alone could have stemmed a need to move to F2P until much later IMO...at the very least it probably would have stemmed the losses substantially.

I find these statements accurate from a very narrow point of view, and smack more of wishful thinking than actual informed intuition. Whether or not they accept what I see as the REAL reasons for losses behind closed doors is unknown. After all, spin has been a tradition since launch, and I feel it is likely this statement is no different.

Bynt
11.07.2012 , 10:04 AM | #212
Hi Jeff Hickman! I am glad to see you releasing this State of the Game letter. I look forward to future letters on this topic, thanks! I have been a big fan of yours for years and appreciate the excitement and enthusiasm you bring to your MMO's. I agree with all your points and am glad to see you are hearing the community, I understand that you cannot address every concern of every player, but I think the issues that you did bring up hit home for me as the most important ones.

1.) I think the game is awesome!

2.) I want less bugs with updates and want faster fixing of bugs still in game since release! Get Crackin!

3.) I want more content, keep it comming as the current content is simply phenomenal!

Send our thanks to the team for all they do to make this a fantastic gaming experience, we sure appreciate it!

Sweeet
11.07.2012 , 10:07 AM | #213
And yet again you ignore the biggest topic on peoples minds, PvP. How this wasn't top of your list of reasons you went FTP is beyond me. Everyone I know who has quit, quit over PvP after the balance changes in 1.2. Everyone I know who would like to come back but won't, won't because PvP is still a big mess from 1.2. You should change that top point to read;

1. Our PvP was awesome. Now people hate it and don't want to play it.

You've even admitted it yourselves, you had no idea PvP was going to be so popular, so why are you not doing more about it? There are millions of avid PvP'ers out there and SWTOR could be a real home, but it will never be a home to those players if you keep on ignoring your existing ones. Serious changes need to be made to make PvP a hospitable environment again, which means you need to start seriously listening to your player-base.

Stop ignoring your PvP community, it's beyond a joke now. I can't even begin to describe how little respect I have for you as a games company after the way you've treated the PvP community, it's disgusting, it really is. If serious changes aren't made when FTP hits, I'm out of here, and I won't be the only one I can assure you. And that's not even counting all the potential FTP customers PvP will put off right from the get go given the state it's in now.

Ignoring the problem won't make it go away, it will however have serious repercussions for the game, like it already has...

Durasturan
11.07.2012 , 10:12 AM | #214
Oh wow, another post that tells us absolutely nothing while at the same times telling us how thankful we should be for how much they communicate with us.

1. People want to play this game TO A POINT. They want to get whatever classes they like up to 50, finish the story, and be done.
a. People do not want to play your operations, they are not engaging
b. People do not want to play your daily quests, they get stale and boring
c. People do not want to play your rail shooter, they want 3d combat
d. People want to play PVP, you admit it's most played content in the game... so you take away OWPVP, only give 1 wz, and still no official start to season ONE.

2. LOLOLOLOLOL this has to be a troll. This is the most bugtastic game I have ever played. The technical aspects of the game are probably killing you more than anything else. Single threaded engine lolwut? Crash to desktop, memory leaks etc. From day one this has been your number one problem and it's all because you're a bunch of greedy little piggies that launched 6 months too early because MONEY MONEY MONEY.

3. How about "populations IN GENERAL," this game has been fading fast and your reaction has been laughable. It's like no one on your team has ever managed an MMO before (yeah I heard you say DAOC lol) From launch this was an absolute joke. Launched with about 5x more servers than needed, used massively outdated tech, took months too long contracting servers once the game started to die.

You basically nailed the three biggest problems on the head but from a slantwise angle, I still don't think you have any clue what's actually wrong with your game and why FTP is not going to fix it.

Durasturan
11.07.2012 , 10:16 AM | #215
Quote: Originally Posted by Sweeet View Post
And yet again you ignore the biggest topic on peoples minds, PvP. How this wasn't top of your list of reasons you went FTP is beyond me. Everyone I know who has quit, quit over PvP after the balance changes in 1.2. Everyone I know who would like to come back but won't, won't because PvP is still a big mess from 1.2. You should change that top point to read;

1. Our PvP was awesome. Now people hate it and don't want to play it.

You've even admitted it yourselves, you had no idea PvP was going to be so popular, so why are you not doing more about it? There are millions of avid PvP'ers out there and SWTOR could be a real home, but it will never be a home to those players if you keep on ignoring your existing ones. Serious changes need to be made to make PvP a hospitable environment again, which means you need to start seriously listening to your player-base.

Stop ignoring your PvP community, it's beyond a joke now. I can't even begin to describe how little respect I have for you as a games company after the way you've treated the PvP community, it's disgusting, it really is. If serious changes aren't made when FTP hits, I'm out of here, and I won't be the only one I can assure you. And that's not even counting all the potential FTP customers PvP will put off right from the get go given the state it's in now.

Ignoring the problem won't make it go away, it will however have serious repercussions for the game, like it already has...
This this this this this. They took out OWPVP and added ONE wz in the past year. Still no start to season 1, still no implemention of Outlaws den, just some random space you can screw around in if you want, still no dueling in certain areas or dueling zone on fleet, PVE gets how many tiers of gear, pvp gets the shaft. Instead of adding content to PVP they make it ten times more grindy than any other game so that it just takes drastically longer to gear out.

And that's before you even get to problems with FOTM and OP classes and terrible balance.

Ansalem
11.07.2012 , 10:20 AM | #216
The question on the testing got me wondering...how do they expect to reduce the number of bugs discovered through testing when they still refuse to copy or update their PTR model so that more players can actually test there? Community has been asking for months now so that more people can get on PTR. Right now its pretty slim pickings over there hardly anyone is logging on and only 1 16 man guild and a few 8 mans (including a pug group) has been testing the new content. There are many threads on the PTS forums begging for char copies or a blue frog system to be put on the PTR to help test the game with a broader audience. The small sample of testers on the PTS is not enough and if they would increase the number of testers I'm sure they would catch more bugs before releasing to live.

T-Assassin
11.07.2012 , 10:33 AM | #217
Quote: Originally Posted by Urael View Post
Ah the meme continues. No Mr. Hickman, it wasn't "the price" of the subscription, it was "the quality of the service" for the price of the subscription that drove people away. In fact, your patch 1.4 "quality of life fixes" forced me back to World of Warcraft. Fix your game and tell us the truth.

EDIT: You know keeping legitimate complaints from your management only keeps them in the dark. SWTOR is not in the state they think it is. If you continue to delete posts that describe problems (like the graphics issues which make it near impossible for me to play your game since patch 1.4) they will continue to write fluff and spin pieces. You are fooling no one.
^^^

it's not paying $15. i know it is easy to blame the economy and the difficulties coming up with a subscription fee. but, i just don't see it that way.

the content dried up. 3 WZ's since launch, a year later we have.....4. 4 of the same maps, same game. how bout a capture the flag, floating/spawning objective, etc. etc.

i've done the same FP's about 50 times.

it's NOT $15. it's the lack of content in PvE and PvP, OWPvP, LAG, graphics issues, and the unbalance/CC's in PvP.

this game was absolutely AWESOME pre 1.2...somewhat because it was "new", but mostly because of the PvP and the challenge of FP's. i can solo 4 FP's and duo all but LI (and we almost did!!).

that's my problems with SWTOR, NOT 15 friggin dollars.
"Ib'tuur jatne tuur ash'ad kyr'amur."
"Today is a good day for someone else to die." -

PhilMc
11.07.2012 , 11:07 AM | #218
Quote: Originally Posted by CourtneyWoods View Post
Hello everyone,

Please discuss the Star Wars: The Old Republic State of the Game blog in this thread!

Dear Bioware

I am a huge star wars fan and subscriber since launch, however due to the lack of attention to PVP i feel like I am almost being forced to leave your game for Guild Wars 2. Here are the 2 main factors.

1. THE LACK OF NEW PVP MAPS...yes in caps its that important.... the lack of new maps is abhorrent it is constantly and i repeat constantly driving away players every week form a very active guild VOLITION on The Bastion. Please Please fastrack Hypergates to get it in soon or else you will lose further players. 2nd PLease Please implement another couple maps like a NEW HUTTBALL map or make a map that is TEAM DEATHMATCH style. Also Please implement CROSS SERVER RANKED ... unranked is fine in server but Ranked is ridiculous you have 1 team just roll every other team or you have no teams quing at all to the point where my build has to field 2 teams and que at the same time to get matches and switch players in teams to get them evenish... The team ranking system is worthless if you have one 2200 ranked team ****** the 1000 ranked teams .. why rank them if thers only 3 on server ??? how does that help matchmaking at all??? Implement Cross Server for RANKED so we can get fast ques, properly matched lvl teams, and we can HAVE FUN and feel like you care about your PVP community.

in short... MORE MAPS...Cross Server Ranked Please you will find that SOOO many players come back !

2. WORLD PVP ... is horrible since you took out any incentive to go to Illum to battle... also WHY DONT I GET VALOR FROM KILLING OPPOSING FACTION PLAYERS IN BLACK HOLE OR ANYWHERE IN WORLD PVP????? there is literally NO INCENTIVE to World PvP at all..??? on a PVP SERVER ... some kind of problem here people. PLEASE PLEASE bring ILLUM back of soemthing very similar and give us valor for killing players in world pvp.

In closing.. There are SOOO many players that pvp ... and nearly every single one of us feels left out by Bioware in alost every aspect of what you have done for the game including updates and fixes. You have gutted world PVP (Illum nerf) and you have neglected to add more than 1 new pvp map in 1 YEAR???? ... this is why you have such massive drop offs in players subs...

Nearly every single player i talk to in our server in guild and out of it says they have no problem paying a subscription if Bioware cared at all about is PvP community.. 1 map for 1 year is completly unacceptable.

Please Please help me help Volition help The Bastion and Help your game.

NEW MAPS FIRST... not just 1 new map .... 3 new maps minimum.

ILLUM BACK SECOND and valor for world kills with that

CROSS SERVER RANKED THIRD..

if you do this they will come!

thank you for your consideration... If any of these changes come in the next 6 weeks I will stay ... If not myself and My 26 active player guild will be moving to Guild Wars 2.

Drebs
11.07.2012 , 11:08 AM | #219
Dear Jeff,

Are you talking to your players or your investors? The investors may be gullible, but your players are the ones in the game. They know better, so stop talking down to them.

Let me break this up for you:

1) People are willing to pay $15/month for a game.
2) Those who left did so because SWTOR wasn't (and still isn't) worth $15/month.

Many public-facing BioWare employees have maintained that the game is awesome, people love it, etc. Before you are able to resurrect this beast, you're going to have to accept that your game design has some major flaws. The players have known this since week 1 (that's why so many left), so please stop blowing smoke at us.

Now the expectation is people will pay to overcome a crippled F2P experience? This is very short term thinking. It may provide a quick infusion of cash, but those players will hit the same walls that drove away subscribers. So far, I've heard nothing to make me think the team there has objectively assessed "the state of the game."

An honest discussion about what didn't work in the game will go much further towards building player confidence than this persistent PR spin.

Ejied
11.07.2012 , 11:11 AM | #220
I want the game to have more depth... Get away from the WoW design.. As I previously stated, players want housing, they want a real space simulator, they want more of a sandbox game..