Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Star Wars: The Old Republic – State of the Game

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Star Wars: The Old Republic – State of the Game
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Glzmo
11.07.2012 , 04:27 AM | #171
Quote: Originally Posted by JovethGonzalez View Post
We're working with Jeff to be able to provide consistent, regular updates for this column. We haven't quite nailed down the cadence yet, but definitely look forward to more than just a few per year.
Could we please finally get an Update and approximate ETA on chat bubbles? Getting an option to toggle chat bubbles has been one of the top concerns of socializers, roleplayers and multiplayers in the game since well before launch, yet we are still waiting for them a year later.

Ifrica
11.07.2012 , 04:29 AM | #172
Quote: Originally Posted by xorcist View Post
I always like to see articles like these. Thank you.

I find that the frames per second are at times very low for the type of video card I have. I use an Nvidia GeForce GTX 670. With everything set on maximum and at 1920x1080 resolution it is for the most part supposed to be around 110 FPS. Places like the fleet I notice 20 or less FPS at times. That is a significant drop for a card of that magnitude. It chops and clips and lags. On other MMO's I do not have any problems at any time whatsoever in the FPS department. Only SWTOR.
We were discussing this the other day in our guild, as we have some guys still playing wow and other mmo's, what might be the cause of low fps at times (read fleet or higly populated areas) could be because of the diversity in gear. In WoW endgame most peopel have the same gear, because that is the endgame gear (well, transmogrification changed that a bit). Which makes that when, for example, if you have 100 people wearing e.g. 6 different sets will load faster (less lag) then when you have 100 people and they have a wide mixture of items, which all have to be loaded, itemization in SWTOR is so divers, with orange gear combinations, that there is so much more to load in from the people around you. I remember the Blizzard devs makinf a remark about this explaning that when you had lag in dalaran, it was because of the people in your neighbourhood had more divers gear, that caused lag, because of all the items that have to load in from the server.
so whenever i have lag on the fleet, i always see it as there being a lot of people with divers gear, which is nice, if i rn around on fleet, you see people running around in all sorts of combinations of gear.
TOFN - EU PVP
Mirobi Snowdrifter - Sage \\ // Talibram Snowdrifter - Marauder
System : AMD Phenom II 955 - 16GB DDR3 (1600) - Radeon HD7950 - Samsung SSD

Debaucher
11.07.2012 , 04:33 AM | #173
Thank you very much for your post Jeff!

I am a pure pvper at heart who has played both Daoc and Warhammer online. So, PvP is what i am going to adress here.

(a) FoTMs can be really annoying. They get countered in rankeds after a short while, but class stacking (even by accident) in normals can be really frustrating, especially for those undergeared. Add that certain advanced classes (commando especially) has been neglected for quite some time now and you will probably see for yourself that class balance needs work. Feel free to check the PvP forums for some nice ideas buried under rants.

(b) Ranked Warzones. There are some issues there, mainly that competition is limited to 2-3 guilds per server. As much as i like the guys behind the enemy toons, it gets boring to see the same ppl over and over. Eventually you know their moves and the game is decided on who makes the fewer mistakes. The fact that each server has one or two hardcore PvP guilds left per faction makes it rough for new guilds to form up and start playing ranked. And why should they, they will get the gear anyway and after that, there are no rewards. (Remember how many people your RvR reputation patch, 1.1,brought into the RvR lakes in WaR? Its because people got an incentive to play) So, imho Ranked WZs, aka the real PvP endgame needs cross server quing and it needs it fast. Also, there is an issue related to class balance, which more or less limits you to practically one team set up. Thats annoying too!

(c) Resolve. I am fully aware that CC can be dispelled and that i can CC as well, not only get CC'd. Having said that, i think that you should really look back in your Daoc and WaR solutions to Crowd Control immunity. I liked them, unlike Swtors system. I understand that you wanted to make CC system more rookie friendly and i have to admit few ball carriers in Huttball get full resolve before leaving the pit nowadays, but its really easy to abuse with little coordination. You should really look into how long a character can be disabled if stuns are used correctly. Which isn't really nuclear physics.

(d) PvP Options. To begin with, there are too few warzones in the game and sadly i am dissapointed by the "Khaines embrace" for dummies upcoming warzone. I am fine with copying WaR scenarios in swtor, but seriously, get one of the cool ones (Battle for Praag, or the Maw of Madness. Even Nordenwatch was better Designed than Alderaan Civil War). However, no matter how fun the warzones can be, nothing compares to solo or 4man group roaming in an open pvp location, or to an epic outnumbered defence of a location. Having said that, i strongly believe that Ilum was really poorly designed, to an extent it was a horrible place to have fun with friends. No shrines, no bunkers (keeps) to defend or ninja cap, a really Vast map with few choke points without any true strategic meaning since the opposition could just run around them, swtor maginot lines. It goes without saying that there will be a zerg in outdoor pvp, but its frustrating when your only option is to zerg at 1 fps/hour. Ilum ended up a matter of numbers, whoever had more, would spawncamp the enemy till they got their daily/weekly done. WaR wasn't like this and thats why its orvr was amazing. So, hopefully you are revamping Ilum. Please consider adding some objectives that can be defended and make it so people will want to hold/cap it, instead of running to the next one. Oh, and add collision already.

Really hope you amaze us with the upcoming patches! Keep up the good work and thanks for your time making the post
Aolyn, Scoundrel Healer.
Occasional Scrapper!

Coral

Glower
11.07.2012 , 04:36 AM | #174
Quote:
2. The subscription requirement was driving away huge numbers of people who do not want to commit to paying monthly.

3. The frequency of our Game Updates was way too slow. People were leaving because we were not releasing new content fast enough to keep up with the pace at which it was being consumed.
Lol you failed at the second sentence! What a pity, but the reason why people leave is not subscription.
SWTOR goes F2P: http://i.imgur.com/1962X.jpg
A: "They’d love to do that at some point, but technically very challenging and unlikely to happen in the near future." (c)
PvP FAQ, A: "We have no plans at this time" (c)

darklordpotter
11.07.2012 , 05:08 AM | #175
Firstly thanks for doing this it's always nice to hear what the devs are thinking. A few comments on your statements from the perspective of an altoholic pve player if I may.

1. Our game is awesome. People love it and want to play it.

The class stories are awesome (well mostly) and the world storyline are awesome the first time round. Unfortunately the way the game is designed you effectively have to wade through the world quests on every single character. I haven't rolled a smuggler because I just can't face the Republic act one class quests for a third time.

However the game as opposed to the story is repetitive and buggy - mostly buggy.

This would be less of a problem but it is exacerbated by the terrible customer service provided with both response time and problem resolution being something of a bad joke.

2. The subscription requirement was driving away huge numbers of people who do not want to commit to paying monthly.

Because people felt it wasn't worth the money which is not the same as the instinctual aversion to the subscription model the official statements (including yours) appear to blame for the games current woes.

Whilst I am still subscribed looking back at the updates released for the game up to 1.4 it is certainly difficult to see any content in them that justifies a subscription apart from the group running HM ops as mostly what the updates introduced was bugs most of which still have not been adequately resolved.

The only meaningful content updates for sub 50s has been the legacy system and I'm sure that you are aware of the consensus opinion regarding the legacy system.

3. The frequency of our Game Updates was way too slow. People were leaving because we were not releasing new content fast enough to keep up with the pace at which it was being consumed.

True enough although I would argue that part of the problem was, and is, your continual failure to meet self imposed deadlines - like the one you're about to miss now coupled with frankly the new content just isn't up to scratch.

Adding a new tier of ugly as sin sub 40k ripoff armour and an operation to grind (and grind and grind) it in certainly isn't a type of game update I'm willing to stay subscribed for long term.

vichkaya
11.07.2012 , 05:20 AM | #176
thx for this topic.

as it would appear that the main stream of players in this game are making new alts over and over again i'll adress this point.
(as it is the way i play too - i have 1 lvl 50 - 5 lvl 40 - and a few lowbies on the way)
i don't play "endgame content" cause i find it an insult to my "intelligence" but i understand ppl doing it
(like endgame PvP) (which i loved a long time ago when i was young and naive)

so - leveling alts:

what i found game breaking is the actual poverty or inconsistencies of the game's options while leveling
(as you need to level up in order to play endgame)

ie: Dark side or Light Side levels have absolutely no importance whatsoever in your gameplay (besides the titles earned)
no real alien race on character creation (existed in Jedy Academy)

why can't a Jedi Sage Dark Lv5 use Lightnings ? (or a LS Sith use Light side powers) (TSL)

why do we have to gain social points over and over again ? (like kegacy SP could be earned for all toons)
why is the gear so ugly ?
why are the drops so low on Elite Bosses? (map bosses not Heroics) (like green gear or credits)

why are Legacy Perks so useless and expensive ?

why do NON force users show Dark side Facial consequences ?

why do Skill Tree have 3 branches ? ( as you can only have 2 roles)

why do i have skills than have a restrictive condition before i can use them?
(like this skill gives a powerful 3000 hit but only on a dead target IF i use it standing on 1 foot and singing a song)
(and has to be used within 1 sec)

there are way too many skills too btw.

why can't my toon simply climb a rock when it can Force jump ? (Jedy Academy)
(datacron chase which in most cases i never do due to the preposterous places where they are located)

why is my healer getting more aggro than the tank ?

why can't my low level tank get AoE aggro ? (to protect the healer)

why create Tanks with Light armor ? (seriously ...) or the class armor restrictions in general.

Important point - your game is basically NOT a real mmorpg - you can solo 1 to 50 without actually needing to group with anyone - i did it so a lot of ppl can do it too - how can you "create" an active online community when Online aspect is non essential (due to instances and class questing)
(which will be an enormous problem with f2p if there are hundreds of ppl running the same area - as the respawn time is way too long in low level zones)

mainly - why can't i find in your game most of the options that other games provide ? (even older games)

(vanity items shops for ingame currency - gear customization - appearance customization - vanity gear tab
(go check AoC or DCUo) and so on...

besides those points i think i also have to had that - 1.4 was really a top on how NOT to do things.
seriously ? a game breaking patch that gave me (and a lot of other ppl it would seem) an entire month of lousy gameplay without any excuses - messages or whatsoever from your company - and that is NOT fixed atm btw - even Korean Grinders have a better PR and reaction time on this one.
(and they compensate ppl - even with fluffy crap)

all this to come to the personal conclusion that even if your IP is magic - the treatment you gave it is way below subpar for the cost of making it - for the subscription cost and for what your competition actually provides their customers with. You were given a magical name you created a shallow and empty shell of a game.
(with a lousy engine?)
(which is why ppl left btw) (when a product loses over 60% of its customers there is definitely a problem somewhere)
(over the rainbow?)

as F2P will not provide a better game experience to players i don't see how things could improve on a short term basis ( as most mmorpgers don't live on long terms expectations)
with the exception of maybe providing you with more instant cash for a while.

by definition Gaming should be a fun experience giving you good feelings regarding the time spent on the said game. Online gaming should also provide the opportunity to share this fun with other ppl - this is not the case atm.

Henry Ford stated a long time ago that customers could have their car any color they wanted as long as they wanted Black.
this way of seeing thing worked at the time i am not sure it still works nowadays
cheers and good luck.

R-Tee-Doo-Tee
11.07.2012 , 05:23 AM | #177
im not a hardcore gamer in some peoples eyes (i play for about 2 to 3 hours a day maximum)
But i will say this game desperately needs new content. Im not talking cartel shop content
like clothing and customisations here im talking actual new things to do in game like new warzones
new raids and flashpoints. Maybe some new questlines and questing character unlocks. People
are leaving the guild im in to play other games because they have done everything there is to do in game.

jorill
11.07.2012 , 05:36 AM | #178
Quote: Originally Posted by djmothra View Post
We (well, me at least) would like these updates at least every other month if not once a month - there are still MANY issues that need to be addressed here.
I think that would be a good interval for this article going forward

mattfinck
11.07.2012 , 05:39 AM | #179
I have played swtor since day one and i wonted to add this the problems i have with the game is not the content or, the lack of but the bugs i would say the you guys need to slow down stop trying to keep up with other mmos like (world of warcraft) your better then them just relax and fix the problems at hand like ( the hacks) people are using them and creating problems within your game i think its time to start banning people like that (for pvps ) we wont to see more pvp thats not in war zones make it worth while to fight and take over there base (server size) im on the smallest servers out there its bad at one time we might have 100 people on the fleet i think it might be time to get rid of the only rp pvp server you have left . but keep up the hard work guys your great and the games great

from agent Drasona

Crabbits
11.07.2012 , 05:39 AM | #180
Dear Mr. Hickman,

How is it you can ruin so many games as executive producer? How long do you think it will take Disney to pull the plug?

Thanks,

Crabbits