Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Star Wars: The Old Republic State of the Game

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Star Wars: The Old Republic State of the Game
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

DAGKunit
11.07.2012 , 01:19 AM | #151
More broken promises!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gkarr
11.07.2012 , 01:36 AM | #152
Please bring back World PvP. I really enjoyed 50 vs 50 on Ilum.
There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost it's way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. It is against this peril we can never surrender. - Ḡ'Qʊᾔ

Arodin
11.07.2012 , 01:42 AM | #153
I see that several people posting in this thread here have the same concern as me: story. My biggest concern is that the feature of SWTOR that Bioware constantly talked about leading up to the game's release has now been all but shelved. This would be a disaster for the game, because I think cinematic story-telling is still the strength of the game and of Bioware. I worry that Bioware may be changing the direction of game more toward a "gear grind" or a more typical MMO in which story is a minor feature for people to play around with when they aren't doing hardcore raiding or PvP. When the lead writer suddenly left, that did a lot to reinforce this concern. I thought SWTOR was going to be different, but I'm concerned that we're getting on that same "treadmill" that I have seen in so many other MMORPGs.

If Bioware does want to keep the class stories going, why haven't we heard about any plans for it? Bioware reps have said that Makeb will not have any class story content, so this leaves folks like me concerned about the future of the game. I'm sure the planet-story for Makeb is great, but that's a poor substitute for extending the class stories, and the longer it takes to get new class story content, the less connected we will be with those characters. I'm already starting to forget a lot of details about the first character I played to level 50.

Drudenfusz
11.07.2012 , 01:51 AM | #154
Going F2P is not a bad thing, but I think it is bad how BioWare is doing it. I doubt people who left might be happy with how it will be for them as preferred and I am not sure how many new players might join when almost every gaming website writes about how stupid they think it is to charge for quickslot bars.

I understand that BioWare has to make money, but it looks like they are greedy. I guess F2P members will not feel welcome here, and probably just leave instead of buying stuff. There are just to many F2P games out there which are welcome players who pay nothing much more, and the players know that, but BioWare acts like they are oblivious to the rest of the market.
My Old Republic Warring is Magic
Gwenya - The Drudenfusz Legacy, Jedi Shadow on Jar'Kai Sword
When you play the game of PvP, you win or you die.
English version <- SWTOR Wiki -> German version

Ifrica
11.07.2012 , 02:08 AM | #155
Quote: Originally Posted by Seifan View Post
And still the topic of server population is left out?

Sad to see this overlooked- I know its pretty much only an issue on the RP-RPG server, but its one that is now SERIOUSLY effecting the game play of those still there...

As a paying customer I demand there be a resolution to this issue before FTP comes out... FTP will NOT solve the issue for the 50 - post game lack of population.

-Seifan
unless you are on Oceanic servers, i wonder what the problem is with server population, europe has a healthy population, whith the PvE and RP servers at top, yesterday i even saw that there were more people on the RP server then the others. haven't checked on US servers, but looking at comments in other threads theys eem to be doing fine too. (please correct me if i'm wrong on the US part, but last week i saw a thread with a guy giving a good sum up of how the servers stabilized after the super servers, it was in that topic they said only oceanic seems to have problems)
TOFN - EU PVP
Mirobi Snowdrifter - Sage \\ // Talibram Snowdrifter - Marauder
System : AMD Phenom II 955 - 16GB DDR3 (1600) - Radeon HD7950 - Samsung SSD

Talimar
11.07.2012 , 02:14 AM | #156
Quote:
2. The subscription requirement was driving away huge numbers of people who do not want to commit to paying monthly.
I love this.

Subscriptions are the number 1 reason people leave. Wait, there are still 9 million people paying a sub for WoW.

Stop deluding yourselves.
"We're merging you with US servers. Your gameplay experience will be abysmal, but you'll have higher populations!"
"But we play at entirely different times."
"Doesn't matter. Our metrics will show higher populations."

Ifrica
11.07.2012 , 02:38 AM | #157
Quote: Originally Posted by SFaulkner View Post
Two things I'm looking for basically for the leveling experience. One was stated earlier, but different areas to level or different planets so each new alt doesn't have to do the same quests, over and over and over. I'm leveling my fourth 50, and I just can't stand doing the same quests.
Maybe it's wrong to compare, but I had this feeling about WoW too, and tbh, i feel more 'into' the quests and story then i ever felt in WoW, so imo the questing has been done fine, doing all the quests on a planet overlevels you way too much anyway, so can easily skip the most annoying ones and bonus quests if you want. I just finished my 5th lvl 50, 2 imp side, 3 rep side, and i must say that even on my last one i did some quests that I havent done before (missed them maybe, or went off planet sooner) or don't remember anymore, incombination with the different class quests it did feel different for me, though i can imagine if you lvl a guardian and then a sentinel, the story will feel the same and gets a bit dull.

The other thing that would make leveling so much more interesting, actually have the quest lines of each faction cross paths a lot more. I never see Imperials while I'm leveling cause their quest lines take up one half of the map, and mine take up the other half. You just don't run into each other unless you wan to explore, but then you take the chance of running into lots of the opposite faction which doesn't usually end well.
On planets like Tatooine, Hoth, Belsavis, Voss and Corellia i encountered alot of people from same and opposing faction, didn't have problems with that at all, in fact, i still go to Voss lmost every day, just to do some hunting while farming scavenging/bio mats. On Voss there's even a quest that send you to the imperial camp (on rep side) to go check it out, they aren't that far at all.

And don't end well? what do you mean? are you one of those that speeders up and runs when seeing someone of opposing faction? then i might have killed you a couple times - love to pull you guys back with my Vanguard

Oh, and Lag and Crashing... Lag spikes are unbearable at times. There was a time a couple days ago, where no one on fleet on our server could basically do anything. You couldn't move, running in spot, and couldn't click anything. All you could do was type in general for 30 seconds at a time, multiple times. Then there's the crashing.... since 1.4, I have crashed every single day I have played at least once. Usually it's not during boss fights in operations, but it does get annoying cause it takes like 5 minutes to load the game back up each time.
On this I can't say much tbh, the only lag issue i have is the corellia spaceport, fleet is doable depending on several factors though. If i'm in the first instance on fleet and game hasn't finished loading everything, then it does lag for me, probably because gfx are still loading, but when everything is loaded and all people arround me show up, the lag is mostly gone, with a stuter here and there, but definately not worse then Dalaran or Stormwind in WoW, if i'm in the second instance on fleet it mostly is smooth as butter.

unfortunately you seem to have a rly bad experience with the game, i can only speak for me and a rl friend of mine (we play together most of the time, and he plays on a budget laptop, i play on a 3 year old high end pc) when we, except for some minor issues like blaster fire coming from everywhere but our gun, we have almost no issues with the game.

seeing Mr. Hickman mentioned they are adressing the lag issues again, i guess things will slowly get better, and i hope your expecience will know better days too.

edit : i forgot to comment on the loading, that's something that took kind of long for me too, when i still had fullscreen mode, also gave me problems with alt-tabbing etc. a couple of days ago i switched back to windowed mode, and the game loading goes alot faster now, and no probs anymore with alt-tabbing. I agree that there shouldn't be a difference, because it's the same game, but to work around some loading/crashing issues, this might be worth a try.
TOFN - EU PVP
Mirobi Snowdrifter - Sage \\ // Talibram Snowdrifter - Marauder
System : AMD Phenom II 955 - 16GB DDR3 (1600) - Radeon HD7950 - Samsung SSD

smexymage
11.07.2012 , 02:40 AM | #158
Nice post, keep them coming was a good read. I do however have something I would like to mention..

Quote:
2. The subscription requirement was driving away huge numbers of people who do not want to commit to paying monthly.

3. The frequency of our Game Updates was way too slow. People were leaving because we were not releasing new content fast enough to keep up with the pace at which it was being consumed.
I feel these 2 points are part of the same problem. I very much doubt people dislike paying the monthly fee, I think it is more that the service you guys offered at the time did not justify paying monthly because there were many features missing at launch that were patched into the game later, it is getting better but still not quite there yet IMO, and people simply thought, this game is not worth the subscription fee. Free to Play won't solve the big issues of the game unless you release content on a regular basis(including class stories) and improve gameplay(i still see input lag and animation stuttering/delay esp on Jedi knight)

World of Warcraft has over 10million players who are more than happy to pay a subscription fee, wouldn't they be suffering the same problem if people did not like paying?

I LOVE this game, so much so that I can overlook the issues because I played KOTOR and have a love for the environment BioWare have created. I don't want the game to suffer due to people leaving because you are looking at the issue from the wrong perspective.
. Never Forget

SirMannii
11.07.2012 , 03:21 AM | #159
PvP, mr Hickman? What's your problem with that?

And when are we going to see either Open World PvP(Never because of the performance issue) or 3v3/4v4 Warzone matches?

Elminster_cs
11.07.2012 , 03:29 AM | #160
I wuold like to ear from you one thing... why you have so much content inside the game that is not possible to gain. This is a really big mystery for me...

Last thing... i dream to work at BW as dev... !!!!