Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Star Wars: The Old Republic State of the Game

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Star Wars: The Old Republic State of the Game
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Fenshire
11.06.2012 , 11:22 PM | #141
Two things:

1. "I'm not paying $15/month for this" does not mean they will play for free.

2. I cancelled because I had to change my names twice. When I can have my names back, then I will resubscribe and start playing again.
The Trust
The Department of Energy
| Explorer: 67% | Socializer: 67% | Killer: 53% | Achiever: 13% |
Take two kolto packs and call me in the morning!

11.06.2012 , 11:30 PM | #142
2. The subscription requirement was driving away huge numbers of people who do not want to commit to paying monthly.

So they admit to this being an issue yet are keeping this a subscription based game.

They are offering and extended trial with their F2P model, but it's remaining a primarily subscription based game.. which 'huge numbers' of players do not feel is worth paying for.

Great..

xorcist
11.06.2012 , 11:31 PM | #143
I always like to see articles like these. Thank you.

I find that the frames per second are at times very low for the type of video card I have. I use an Nvidia GeForce GTX 670. With everything set on maximum and at 1920x1080 resolution it is for the most part supposed to be around 110 FPS. Places like the fleet I notice 20 or less FPS at times. That is a significant drop for a card of that magnitude. It chops and clips and lags. On other MMO's I do not have any problems at any time whatsoever in the FPS department. Only SWTOR.

I also find that PvP in warzones at level 50, a player has too many handicaps to overcome. Reason being, expertise and the change to the resolve bar have ruined the experience. Mind you resolve bar was not working properly to begin with. As I've said, there are far too many handicaps to overcome, and this does not make the experience fun at all.

Especially for new players. First- If you have to give away a set of gear right at the beginning of becoming level 50, then that is your first clue that there is something wrong. Second- Recruit gear is still a handicap, and no help in survivability against players with much more Expertise rating. I believe there are better solutions out there than Expertise rating, that will still be incredibly fun for all parties to participate in. That is your goal, is it not?

There are threads in the Suggestions tab about Expertise. The response is overwhelming from players expressing their dissatisfaction in how much the gear decides who lives and who dies. As You realize, Player vs. Player should be about knowledge and skill. Not what team is more geared than the other.
"There is no calamity greater than lavish desires....
And there is no greater disaster than greed
."

11.06.2012 , 11:36 PM | #144
2. The subscription requirement was driving away huge numbers of people who do not want to commit to paying monthly.

So they admit to this being an issue yet are keeping this a subscription based game.

They are offering and extended trial with their F2P model, but it's remaining a primarily subscription based game.. which 'huge numbers' of players do not feel is worth paying for.

Great..

TekAlcon
11.06.2012 , 11:43 PM | #145
tip to fix this game, put the people above me on the dev team.or give us SOME input on what to do

VegaPhone
11.06.2012 , 11:49 PM | #146
The state of the game ignores hot topics of the specific answers people are looking for.

You say the game has more updates, and that is great, but having more WZ's and more OP's and even more FPs does not solve the problem of swtor not having a day/night cycle, swoop racing, pazaak, duel arenas, tournament system with mini games, solo rank pvp, open world pvp, Large WZ's, a more sand box approach to the open world in swtor that adds to repeatability.

If swtor devs care about keeping players interest then can they afford to work on major projects that are important to keep player interested for longer?

We know they are working on the secret space project, mean while working on OP's, WZ, and FP's.

But the content people are concerned about more of is actually story. Not the WZ's and the other very easy to consume content.

BW devs are fighting an uphill battle by trying to make content that only keeps people slightly more amused without adding the things for an MMO.

If they add more WZs that is great, but then the game also needs to turn more into an e-sport. So where are the duel arenas, adn tournament systems? The solo rank for pvp?

What is the actual content being released in 6 weeks?

That is the concern. And I think this blog does not even begin to answer those questions but just re-emphasize something we already heard... people apparently leaving because there is not enough content and they will make more quicker.

Its not the lack of ops, wz, or FPs.

Problems are:

1. Ops/FPs give gear rewards to quickly.

If you are going to have a nightmare mode make the gear grind for that longer, and have something very rewarding as well.

2. No player ship decoration.

3. Chat bubbles (for Rpers)

4. Sand box pvp, guild castles, player housing, seiging - or something that offers a similar experience which is not existent in swtor. This adds longeivty to the game.

5. No 3d space combat

4. lack of mini games and social activities

6. Pazaak/swoop racing has no timeline when its going to be released

7. Story content released sooner than later.

8. No Day/night cycle

9. Reward system is not epic. Yes, we need quests that give people epic rewards from famous people. I got a vibro sword for Ludo Kreesh, and it looks like the starter vibro sword, and it was a random drop. I dont go to Ludo Kreesh tomb, or some secret place on a quest leading to the acquisition of this sword, but it was just a random drop from a FP. Thats a big *** for me.

10. Gambling. Its in the movies, its fun, and it keeps players interested. Get on it.

11. Lack of pvp development

12. Lack of choice for RPG story or side quest - only dark side or light side alignment

13. Better A.I. life routine

14. Have packs of NPCs to allow for aoe pulling

15. Character customization should be more

16. More races that look less humaniod

17. Legacy perks should allow for quicker lvling. I think this is a difficult situation to offer the right thing, but for me, the want to play all over again is reduced when the end game for me is not great. There is very little RPing for me. Other than the avatar.

If I could gamble, go to duel arenas, have a rank in pvp, or play some social mini games with other players... then those add reasons for me to have other characters. And since those things are missing, I just want to play the story, nothing else, and therefore for me, side questing after doing them, becomes a chore. I feel that lvling should be quicker until end game offers more content to allow for people interested in lvling quicker with legacy perk.

Or the want to play alts will diminish and the game will be more for people playing only one character, and that is why people left in the first place instead of playing alts. As MMO players you gave them a long story, but the not cake at the end. So you treated your game as an MMO but without the major content for that.

I know there are people who play alts, and people who still play thier characters collecting all codex, pets etc... but the big picture is what is at stake. How can the game develop something from today in its current state to make the most people happy including the ones that are happy with the current state of the game.

And I believe releasing more pets, vehicles, OPs, FPs, and WZs without major other content ... even with F2P and a cash shop can be disasterous for swtor in the long run.

So there are still questions... what is the SSSP? when is that being released?

If the SSSP is something large, and 3d space combat, and released relatively soon, then that is a very good sign of a strong future for swtor... so I am going to look at SSSP as an indicator as to what to expect as major content from swtor... other than story and PVE.

edit:

They said they had 2000 employees.

Lets say they each made around 30'000 a year. Which is a very low number. And worked on the project for 5 years.

30'000*5=150'000 per person for 5 years
2000 employees = 2000*150'000=300'000'000 just in salaries. I think we officially live in the matrix.

ObsidianVashti
11.07.2012 , 12:34 AM | #147
First of all I want to say this is a step in the right direction. Thank you Jeff. This is what Star Wars: The Old Republic needs- open dialog between creator and consumer.

While I disagree with some points, I'm going address the "state" of TOR:

1) Bugs, of course there will always be bugs, but as I'm sure the team is well aware; there are some pretty serious ones. One in particular for me is lag on the servers that happens frequently (it's not my internet connection). It's like the server has to pause to load things. This frequently will happen in the middle of fights causing me to die every so often. This is something that needs to be fixed.

2) Space Combat, the whole railway designed space combat is extremely lackluster. I play space missions simply for experience points and when I am bored. I should never do something because I'm bored. Space missions should be a great strength of TOR. Whole Star Wars video games have been created merely on the principle of Space Combat. There is so much potential in this area and that leads me to my third point.

3) Games within a game, Other than the solid story-telling experience TOR is lacking in "in-game" content. As many have mentioned I would love to see pazak (sp?), speeder racing, gambling, games such as that whose ideas have already been explored in previous KOTOR games; they merely need to be implemented in TOR. This is something that while it will take time, will do much to improve the community atmosphere of TOR. Implement leaderboards, invoke competition amongst players. We can go head to head in Warzones (more Warzones wouldn't hurt too), but gives us titles and positions to boast about within TOR. How about an arena? Gladiator style against beasts (makes me think of Geonosis). Expand such things into the cantinas, give us a reason to kick back in style within the cantinas. We can watch visual feeds of arena battles, challenge opponents in the cantinas. (Already mentioned pazak, a little twilek dancing love perhaps). It can be something pointless, but that is the point because entertainment in the form of mindless fun is amusing rather than running a glorified UPS service for various NPC characters.

4) Planet development, first of all effects, weather, day/night time cycle. Some planets are severely lacking in their unique design structures and progressively become dull. After I have completed a planet, there is very little making me want to return to them. I consider it a no-brainer that each planet should some how have developed in it, its own unique mini-game/special characteristic where people will congregate for some in game activity other than missions/Heroics/Flashpoints. Give us an interactive environment with quirks to explore rather than a static (but beautiful slate) that loses its appeal after all the missions are done. Quirks such as attractions to discover on each world. Areas without enemies where secrets can be discovered besides just datacrons. Give us a reason to scour the entire planet! Why not have people we can talk to that don't immediately beg us to go off on a mission for them. Give interaction. Sometimes the smallest of details can make a big difference!

5) Lore of KOTOR, I find the codex to be a major disappointment in the game. While the idea is good it presents little visual to draw the player in. One personal thing I would like is have an almost holographic quality/gentle moving image for codex entries (in place of the static image entries), it will make the lore of KOTOR have much more life and make it enjoyable for players to explore the various factions, planets, beasts, characters, and etc... that exist within TOR. I digress here a little but take the games; The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion/Skyrim for example. One aspect I loved from those games, was the ability to find books throughout the whole game. You could create whole story-lines and background lore through the use of books (holos in the TOR game.) The problem with TOR for me is that it is merely a universe to conquer, rather than a universe to become immersed in and one that does not enable a desire for exploration and attraction for hidden mysteries. There is little mystery, only more UPS missions to run, and characters to kill. It's a checklist.

These are just a few of the things I want explored. There is so much room for potential, don't make it harder than it is. The material is all present, the question is how to implement it into TOR. I appreciate all the team's done. I just think their is much that can be expanded. Keep up the good work, and I look forward to what is to come.

Grinstone
11.07.2012 , 12:45 AM | #148
Since updates were mentioned and this falls within the subject of updates, I'll ask about new races. Specifically, for those of us who have used up most or all of our character slots, will we have the option to change a current character to a new race? It would be disappointing if the only choice we had was between deleting an existing character or not being able to use the new race.
If it bleeds it's probably pissed that you shot it.

Shai-Huluud
11.07.2012 , 01:06 AM | #149
Thanks for the post.

There are a couple of questions I've asked a few times on the forums and they have remained unanswered, I'd appreciate it if you could shed some light...

Previously it was stated that there were dedicated teams working on Legacy and another dedicated team working on guilds yet there have been no changes or updates to guilds or legacy for quite some time.

Are there actually dedicated teams working on these things and if so why have there been no updates at all?

for example, Legacy goes up to 50 yet there is nothing past level 25.

also, guild functionality is incredibly basic and missing some very important tools i.e. notification emails when something is changed in the guild (i.e. someone joins/leaves)

many thanks in advance.
Neil.
RIP SWG - Jonni Mnemonic (Bria)

Darth-Malice
11.07.2012 , 01:12 AM | #150
A year too late I'm afraid. Maybe when you had a Million players this sort of communication would have been more efficient.
||||||||███████████████████████████████)